German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my gsd has had water diarrhea for 3 weeks now. we went to the vet and did a stool culture, came back fine. she is eating and drinking only thing that seems to be off is she sleeps a lot. but she is still fairly active wants to play etc.she hasnt lost any weight she has actually gained 2 lbs. she was on a medication for a week for her skin and we changed her food to a different flavor of the same brand that might have caused it. i changed her back to what we normally had been feeding her diamond naturals large breed puppy lamb and rice. we had switched her for about a week to diamond naturals chicken and rice. and yes, i was stupid and forgot to transition her. we are going to start putting real chicken and rice into her food and maybe some sweet potato to hopefully get her back on track. any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Did the vet check for giardia? It is a different test the the regular fecal that shows coccida and worms. Also depending on when the parasites sluff off they can't aways been seen so I would definitely run another fecal and make sure they do a giardia test. If everything is ok there, then I would look at the food. Oh and get her on some probiotics.

·
Registered
394 Posts
So she's still a puppy? How old? Is it still watery? I had issues with my (then) 3 month old puppy and after a few trips to the vet, meds, de-worming, etc she is back to normal. It took us 3 weeks to get things regulated again. The key was to keep everything consistent and do not over feed. I did not give her any treats (just her food as her treat) until we were sure of what was causing the diarrhea. Just make sure your dog keeps drinking water too. There are many threads here on puppy and diarrhea (assuming we are talking about a puppy). And if things don't get better, you may want to talk to your vet about what else could be causing this problem (food allergy - especially to chicken - most common of the meats), etc. Good luck!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shes 9 months. about 2 months ago she had 1 round worm in her stool. i wormed her and she is also on heart guard. she doesnt get human food and normally no treats except pupperoni 90% fat free and bones. she has eaten all of the bones before as i get the sam ones every time. this was the first time we ever switched her food and once she didnt get used to it i went back to the old food. she gets dry kibble only

1 - 4 of 4 Posts