German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Video of 3 guard dogs being put to the test by a guy wearing a bite suit pretending to be a thief; a Cane Corso, a Belgian Malinois, and a German shepherd. The Cane Corso barks but then runs from the intruder once he is in the house, the Belgian Malinois who "was trained for protection" still hesitates and then only attacks once the owner has to make him, but the German Shepherd who was NOT protection trained attacks the guy once he gets about 10 feet in the house and stays on him till he retreats out the door, that is true, natural protection! The GSD owner said she was upset he let him get that far in the house, but i think that was the German shepherds intelligence... he was analayzing to see the guys intentions.. important because it could have been a fireman or rescue worker, but once he saw bad intentions, he made a move! German shepherds are by far the most superior guard dog, period!

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Interesting. I thought the mal done great. I expect my dogs to look to me when someone comes over. If I say they're OK then I expect t all barking to stop. He done what I would expect my dogs to do. The cane could have been weak nerves or just not have any protection drive. The German Shepherd did eventually bite the guy but it didn't look like he was out to kill.
I would have liked to have seen the intruder wearing a hidden sleeve or suit. So he looked like an average criminal not a trainer in a bite suit.
I feel this test could have been done with three of the same of any breed. Three GSD's, three cane's, three dobe's. Etc... And you could have gotten the same results.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
I have to agree with CDWoodcox the shepherd didn't look that scary. And did he not bite him until he started to retreat? Idk

I watched it again, wish he hadnt gone out of the frame when the GSD bit him, I don't know if he started backing up once the dog bit or before. Not bad for an untrained dog I guess.

No dog I have ever owned cared about my house if I wasn't in it. Which is fine. I wouldnt want ky dogs to risk themselves protecting stuff.

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
this video is such BS. You can't compare any of these three dogs and come up apples to apples.

Has anyone ever seen a Cane Corso do protection training? Literally, if there is no physical threat, they are not going to attack. And there was no threat. He's a pup, immature.

the Mal did exactly what he was supposed to. Did not go until directed to.

The GSD is a rescue, looks like ASL or backyard, so most likely doesn't hve the proper genetics. And the GSD went at the guys back while he was leaving which implies fear and insecurity.

So good job to the owners for expecting untrained dogs to react aggressively to a simple stranger in the house who comes in baby talking the dog and offers no real physical threat.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts
I think all three failed. I would not count on any of those dogs to protect me or my home.

Just goes to show that a dog of any breed without the right genetics, temperament, confidence and training is not going to do a good job protecting anything. I guarantee that I could walk into any of those houses with out any equipment and lock everyone of those dogs in a closet or a bathroom.

I didn't see one impressive dog, I am a little shocked by the Cane Corso I expected more. The bites from the GSD and Malinois were weak and the dogs were confused and ineffective.

But, a dog that barks is generally a good enough deterrent to cause a burglar to choose your neighbor's home over yours.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
They said the Mal was in the beginning of protection training. I would have declined to take part in this experiment with a dog just starting in protection. The owner and dog both looked confused.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
But, a dog that barks is generally a good enough deterrent to cause a burglar to choose your neighbor's home over yours.
This. I have 2 big barking dogs. If someone walks into the property with big barking dogs, they are already prepared to deal with a big biting dog, most likely with a gun.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
These videos are always interesting. Because even protection trained dogs, titled in sport or possibly even working K9s, I'm betting might get confused by a confident, dog-savvy decoy coming in the house and not acting like a decoy/suspect should. Might do a bark and hold or make a new friend, I don't know.

That said, all three dogs tested are weak dogs and I don't think any amount of training could make them otherwise.

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I think the Cane Corso was too young for this test.

They said the Mal was very social so it was not surprising that just anybody can walk into his house. Being overly social seems to be a problem with herding breeds these days.

The German Shepherd was from a rescue, most likely neutered, but for looking like some type show line mix and being fixed, not really all that bad of a performance with all things considered.

Insofar as a threat, it is almost always the passive person who is a threat IME. The loud and agitated person is usually a harmless drunk or a physically / mentally incapacitated person. I am not sure why anybody would view a stranger entering one's home uninvited as a non threat.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I would wager that a lot of the dogs who excel in bite work with a decoy wouldn't be a man biter. Unless specifically trained to do so. The sleeve seems to be no different than a rope or tug toy that my dogs will violently attack during play.
My dogs sound like they want to eat whoever comes to my door. But in reality they would probably jump up and fight for affection.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
An interesting thing with malinois is they can be social but still "civil". So I wouldn't exclude a social malinois from being a good protection dog. But, to me, the malinois looked weak. I have no problem with the dog not biting until told, but the decoy practically had to force the sleeve into the dog's mouth.

My 10 week old puppy has a fuller, more confident grip (granted, I'm not putting any real pressure on her).

·
Registered
31,368 Posts
Right!!!! Our last Boxer scared everyone that ever came to our dog. Frothing at the mouth, hackles up, out of her mind. Not ideal but she loved kids and was only that way with adults. We used to find our mail in strange places because the mailman wouldn't come near the house.

Seger is a great deterrent. Hackles and barks like he means it when someone comes to the house. You would have to be stupid or on drugs to come thru the door.

Whether either of these dogs would have taken a threat seriously, I hope to never find out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exactly! No matter how good a guard dog is, that should never be your primary means of self defense because criminals carry weapons. During a home invasion, a person with a gun who is trained how to use it is a way better bet then thinking your dog is all you need. While my German shepherds are extremely protective of me, i am also extremely protective of them.... and if someone breaks in here, they better worry more about me then the dogs ;)

This. I have 2 big barking dogs. If someone walks into the property with big barking dogs, they are already prepared to deal with a big biting dog, most likely with a gun.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
An interesting thing with malinois is they can be social but still "civil". So I wouldn't exclude a social malinois from being a good protection dog. But, to me, the malinois looked weak. I have no problem with the dog not biting until told, but the decoy practically had to force the sleeve into the dog's mouth.

My 10 week old puppy has a fuller, more confident grip (granted, I'm not putting any real pressure on her).
It's pretty sad the mal wouldn't even bark on a strange noise in the house. You could hear him give a French bark command and the dog ignored it.

Was a stupid scenario anyway. Crank isn't trained for that kind of thing and if an unknown person walked in through my front door Crank would light them up and charge them at the door but if they walked in normally he probably wouldn't bite (haven't found anyone willing to test that and I'm not either), I'm guessing he'd be all in their face sniffing but I don't know that for sure. I've never seen him act with me not in the picture. It would be a strong enough move the guy would almost certainly close the door right away if he wasn't wearing gear.

If he was wearing gear or aggressed with the gear he had with him Crank would definitely have gone for equipment. Possibly would have gone for his legs too. I would not have let him do that test without leg protection for his sake. I don't think Crank would bite a person without equipment that was friendly despite the initial charge. Who knows though. That test is definitely not indicative of what would go on with a man without equipment. People without equipment act very differently than those that do and the dogs respond differently as a result.

·
Super Moderator
1,598 Posts

There was very little pressure put on those dogs as well. A dog that is supposedly being "protection" trained should have engaged a sleeve immediately. The bite was shallow and weak.

I do agree the many Malinois' can be very social and very civil. It has more to do with prey and fight drive than defense.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts