German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
After spending all day looking online and calling vetners I thought to open a post on this group.
Moses my 3 months old gsd was yelping 3 weeks ago, I thought were his teeth because his teething .
Today he was yelping again, not constantly but he did that few times so I went to the vet she check his paws and she thinks he has a problem with his hip because he moan a bit when she was checking and she think he is a bit wabbleing . She recommend a xray on Monday , I spoke to the breeder that says that's no sens because the dog is too young and it's also too dangerous give anesthesia. I don't know what to do I don't want to underestimate or overestimate the problem :(

·
Registered
346 Posts
My first thought is to agree with your breeder. I have never heard of hip dysplasia in such a young dog and I agree that anesthesia is dangerous for any dog, puppy more so. Here is a thought, GSD's grow so fast that they do experience growing pains. I had a female that complained at about the same age and grew out of it within a couple of months. I just wonder if this is not what your pup is going through. Getting the Xray will certainly rule out or confirm problems in the hips and also give you peace of mind. I asked the Vet for something to work with the pain and watched and waited and was careful with her play for a while. I knew I could always get an xray if it got worse.

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
xrays won't hurt him. they don't knock the dog out. they give a light dose to make them slightly drowsy and more easy to hold still.

yes, a really bad case of HD can manifest itself this early. HD is a joint that isn't forming correctly so it is technically present since birth in many cases.
Or it could simply be an over active puppy that tweaked a muscle. Or it could be growing pains.

Many vet see GSD and automatically assume HD.

did the breeder show proof of good hips for their breeding lines?

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
there are many things to consider.

more information needed from you.

how heavy is the dog
what are you feeding the dog
is the dog dehydrated
what kind of exercise do you give the dog

at this age the growth plates are not closed

I think muscle spasm

panosteititis or some other inflammation through injury

or spasm because of some dietary deficiency -- particularly minerals
or too much calcium too little magnesium

just some thoughts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi thank you for your response!
I'm really worried I would like to make the right choice but I have the breeder from one side saying none of the family members had HD. Haven't seen the xrays but they have a pedigree and they are registered with the kennel club. She think can be pano but she also said will resolve itself while the vet make it sound tremendous.
Moses doesn't have constant pain. He Yelped for 2 days and now he's normal again. Same thing happened 2 weeks ago.

He does drink...
I'm feeding him with ardeens puppy junior large breed that's the food the breeder was giving him contains maize but the vet says its fine. Some dogs tolerate it.
He's 10.5 kgs gained 2 kgs in 2 weeks .
Some bones and treats but the breeder told me to don't give him any treats poultry based.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Years ago I had an Old English Sheepdog puppy who had bad hips that were evident at 8 weeks of age. You could feel them and hear them popping in and out. When she was x-rayed there was hardly any hip socket. Back then there wasn't much that could be done ... she took pain meds and seemed comfortable ... she lived to celebrate her 16th birthday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts