German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pup just hit her 11 month mark and I think she's going into heat for the second time. Her first heat was 3 months ago. Should I be concerned? What could this indicate?

A friend of mine with a female GSD said her breeder told her that her pup can have "up to four heats per year," but most of the information I've been able to find with a cursory Google search indicates that more frequent heats can indicate other problems.

She's definitely on the smallish side for the breed--about 57lb and 22" at the shoulder. She's a bit on the heavy side for her frame though.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Normal heat is every 6 months, it can sometimes be longer between heat periods. The only way a female would come into heat four times a year is if they are short cycling and not ovulating. It takes longer than that for a normal cycle to complete and the body to get ready for another heat cycle.
Then she might be short cycling. This can adjust itself as she gets older into normal heats or she might just be one of these that comes into heat that often. However, if she is doing this, good chance she will not actually ovulate during these short cycles and might never become pregnant if that is what you were hoping.
I would keep records of how often and how long her heat cycles are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts