German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just recently our pup has been barking at other dogs. She pulls on the leash, barks and her hair on ther back stands up. She is at a daycare during the day and is socialized with other pups. Is this just another new thing our dog will eventually get past? She doesnt bark at people or kids, just dogs. Anything we should do to calm her down? We try to steer her away when she starts to bark and kneel at her and tell her NO/ STOP. What kind of positive reinforcement with reward should we do?

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
Sounds like she's just excited.Does she have a "look at me" command?If you can spot the oncoming dog before she does,have her focus on you and walk in a new direction.Use a happy voice,a toy or treat to keep her focus.You can gradually work closer to the approaching dogs over time.The trick is to get her focus before she gets excited.If she's already ramped up it's too late.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Sounds like she's just excited.Does she have a "look at me" command?If you can spot the oncoming dog before she does,have her focus on you and walk in a new direction.Use a happy voice,a toy or treat to keep her focus.You can gradually work closer to the approaching dogs over time.The trick is to get her focus before she gets excited.If she's already ramped up it's too late.
Yep. :) If she spends her day playing with other dogs when she sees them outside of daycare, she probably thinks it's time to play.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When Delgado was 5 months old, he seemed to be a mute puppy. But when he grew up with together with my parents' 4 year old GSD, who barks at everyone who are strangers to her, Delgado started doing the same thing. I think dogs really have a huge influence on each other.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so use look at me as a command? For example, when im walking her and i spot another dog far away, say "look at me" with a treat and walk the other way? When she walks, do i give her a treat to reward her and say GOOD GIRL?

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE REPLIES

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
will she eventually get through this phase?
If handled right, yes most GSD outgrow this behavior. It's not an uncommon issue. When my dog got like this I just kept walking, would change direction, speed up, but kept moving to get them to move with me.

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
It's not really a phase.She's choosing a behavior you don't agree with so you show her what to do instead and create the behavior/habit you want.It will become automatic if you're consistent.When other dogs are near she will look at you happily because you are more interesting.
Think of it just like potty training.You show her what to do until it becomes an ingrained habit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts