German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 month old who is smart as a tack, takes to learning very well and retains what she is taught (most of the time). My concerns are her behavior toward other dogs and people. When I take her for a walk she is fine and walks with confidence, but when we pass by a fenced yard with a dog she usually tries to turn and bolt or whimpers. There are a few houses on our usual route that she has stopped doing that at, but she will not engage in dogs who have never acted aggressive toward us. I have gone up to the fence (when the owners are outside with them) and pet the other dogs which has eased her a bit, but she will not get within 5 feet of the fence.

Today on our walk I ran across a work friend outside his house and she walked up to him with me, but when he went to slowly pet her she lowered her head and took a step back. My sister in law stopped by this weekend and when she walked past her while she was in her crate, she whimpered and whines like she just had her foot closed in a door and peed in her crate, which she has never done since we started her in a crate.

I dont want to force her in to feeling uncomfortable, but I dont want her to be scared of every one she encounters outside of the house.

I also have 3 year old twins who are scared of her, because of her jumping and nipping. I know she is going to nip and she usually responds well to replacing a limb with a toy, but she goes back to it after a minute. I feel bad I have to keep her secluded from the kids and when I do take her outside when they are out playing I have to keep her leashed for the kids sake.

·
Registered
27,279 Posts
She's a baby, you may be pushing her too fast too soon. Yes you are. Flirtpoles help wear out a puppy, as well as making them search or hunt for their meal instead of just eating it from a bowl.
There are some great threads in the puppy section. Please remember you have a baby, and don't rush the puppy stages. It goes by so fast, take tons of pictures too! Or you'll regret what you can never get back.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I always take a hungry puppy and a ziplock baggie full of REAL treats (not dog treats, chicken, liver, cheese, pizza....... any REAL food I can cut into pea-sized pieces) when I go out with my puppies.

I use the treats to assure my puppy and take their mind of the new things. I use the treat to hand them to a 'stranger' to feed my pups. Not only does the food make them less scary but I ask them to put the treat in the palm of their outstretched hand and come in low below the puppy mouth.

MUCH less scary and threatening when the hand is low and below a puppy's head then coming from high and above.

PUPPY CLASSES! There is a great reason puppy kindergarden classes are set up to help us all with those early months.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts