German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 15 week old female German shepherd pup (Ava) and an 8 year old neutered male dachshund (Spunky). I am having a hard time when it comes to play time. Ava is constantly biting at Spunky's neck and hind legs. I know his cute stubby legs look like a turkey leg, but they aren't. Lol I let them deal with each other and separate them when I feel it's too much for Spunky, or me. :D Ava is relentless when she's awake and wants to play or she's sleeping. I know, typical puppy. Haha! Anyway, I was wondering of anyone has experience with a GSD pup and a smaller dog, and how you handled it?
TIA! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ava also constantly goes after my 14 YO cat (Tom), again, right for his neck. Tom does have his claws and he has clawed at Ava a few times, which makes her stop, but I'd like to learn how to help them somewhat live in peace. I know this may be wishful thinking, but I'm going to try! ;)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Luna is 4 months and goes after our yr and half golden retriever. I would limit there playing, and if i see and head shaking i crate luna.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'd correct when she goes for the neck. Help teach her ways to play that don't involve playing like that. My GSD likes to play that way too so I work on finding other play activities or correcting when she does. They're smart dogs so just he consistent and make sure she knows it's never okay. A sharp 'ah' or along those lines works for me. If the noise alone doesn't work correct with the noise and separate.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
The longer you allow this behavior the harder it will be to stop. If it were me, I would definitely not allow it to happen ever! GSD puppies can be a lot for even a large older dog to handle, cats can sometimes get the point across, but there's no way your dachshund will!

I have an 80 lb, 18 month old GSD and a 5 lb, 2.5 yr old Chihuahua living together quite peacefully. They both have fun playing with each other, but I'm still watchful and correct the GSD if she gets too wound up.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The overly long backs of Dachshunds can easily be injured by jumping down off of couches and beds. I would worry about being clumped on the back by the giant foot of GSD puppy.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I agree with those concerned with the puppy injuring the older dog's back and let's not forget about the fragile bones of a 14 year old cat. Neither of those animals are good candidates for playing with a large and overly enthusiastic puppy. I would not let the puppy play with either of them....ever. The risk of injury is too high. Keep your puppy on a leash and teach her to leave your other pets alone.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
I would allow contact though, because forbidden fruit creates an unrealistic allure >:) Just have a leash on the puppy, and calmly teach her that those things are not toys! They, GSDs, really can learn that, and usually pretty quickly if you yourself are calm but insistent.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We have Rollo (7 month GSD male) and a 6 year old male Puggle, and a 13 year old Beagle mix...When Rollo is in the same room with the other 2 I am always in the room with Rollo on his leash, because if I do not...Rollo really will just follow our Puggle ("Pugsley") around non stop with Pugsley clearly uncomfortable and trying to get away. It's not fair to make your dogs tolerate mean behavior from your new puppy, especially like in my case, if your puppy is bigger than your both your older dogs when he came home at weeks old. I have Rollo out and about with me much of the time, or in his crate, so he does not have a ton of time in the same room hanging out with our other older dogs, but like I said, when it does happen, he's always on leash!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have Rollo (7 month GSD male) and a 6 year old male Puggle, and a 13 year old Beagle mix...When Rollo is in the same room with the other 2 I am always in the room with Rollo on his leash, because if I do not...Rollo really will just follow our Puggle ("Pugsley") around non stop with Pugsley clearly uncomfortable and trying to get away. It's not fair to make your dogs tolerate mean behavior from your new puppy, especially like in my case, if your puppy is bigger than your both your older dogs when he came home at weeks old. I have Rollo out and about with me much of the time, or in his crate, so he does not have a ton of time in the same room hanging out with our other older dogs, but like I said, when it does happen, he's always on leash!
Thanks for the tips. This is what I have been doing as well. Leashing Ava (GSD) and playing with her more outside. My Doxie has been hiding in his crate quite often and I don't want that. I love my Spunky and want all my animals to be happy. 🙂

1 - 11 of 11 Posts