German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just wondering I know your supposed to feed a puppy 3 meals a day, until they are 6 months correct? Someone had told me that they don’t feed their dogs in the middle of the day when it’s hot. So my question is how to get three meals in, or does everyone not worry about whether or not it’s hot.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
No rule says u have to feed 3 meals a day. I feed 2 meals a day always have from 8 weeks and on, never had an issue. I use food for training in the afternoon so he gets a snack I guess.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Puppies are babies and need to eat more often. You wouldn't feed a toddler once or twice a day, why would you do that to the little one in your care? I either free feed or feed three times a day until six months and then go to two times. I have found that due to the high carb content of many kibbles that a lot of people continue to feed twice a day for life to avoid sugar highs and lows. I do not let the heat be a factor in whether I feed my dogs or not. If it is too hot, I let them decide whether they want to eat or not.

Reactions: tc68 and dogfaeries

·
Super Moderator
32,373 Posts
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule. Dena and Keefer each came home at 9 weeks old and were already on two meals a day. But they got lots of training treats too, so it wasn't like they had to wait 12 hours between meals to get any food. Halo was 10 weeks old but much smaller than they were, and I was feeding her 3 meals a day for awhile after she came home. I don't recall for how long.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
First off Dogs are not humans, so feeding is way different but since u say they are would u free feed a toddler????

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
First off Dogs are not humans, so feeding is way different but since u say they are would u free feed a toddler????
I never said dogs are humans. In nature, baby animals nurse around the clock no different than human babies and need to be slowly weaned off of mother's milk and have food replaced with multiple meals a day supplemented by mother's milk in between until the weaning process is complete. Going to two meals a day is not something that should be done abruptly just because a pup is separated from its mother and handed off to a new owner. A puppy can NOT eat the quantity of food that it needs for proper health and growth in one or two meals. A puppy's belly simply is not big enough to eat and store that much food. Also, withholding food and having a young puppy eat two large meals a day can also bring about a host of unwanted digestive issues due to overeating caused by letting the puppy become excessively hungry.

A hungry puppy can also present with a lot of bad behaviors because it is uncomfortable and needs food. This can pave the way for a pattern of bad behaviors as an adult and IMO can certainly create a bonding issue as you are not providing the basics for what a puppy needs AND you are preventing the puppy from tending to its own needs such as invading the trash seeking sustenance AND then the owner punishes the puppy for being hungry. Let's look at that again: hungry puppy> owner does not provide nourishment> creates stress> bonding is strained> puppy find food in trash or on the ground> puppy tries to eat> owner punishes> puppy sees owner as somebody who takes away the basics of life while providing punishment creating massive conflict on a survival level> bonding issue. This is not something I would recommend.

If a toddler was grazing on carrots and other healthy foods that would be part of a meal, I certainly would not have a problem with a child that picks at food all day as long as what they eat is a part of a well balanced diet. It is not any different than withholding a portion of a puppy's kibble which is then later fed to the puppy over a period of time during training.

Reactions: tc68

·
Registered
856 Posts
My girl got hunger pukes if she wasn't fed often as a pup. I fed her at 4-5 intervals a day until about 6 months, then cut back to 3 meals a day until 10/11 months, then at a year I put it to 2 meals a day with training treats in between, a night time snack to prevent morning bile hunger pukes, and adding green beans in between meals as a snack to help keep her feeling full but not giving excess calories.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I let both of my dogs graze/free feed. They have since they were puppies. As adults, they each get 10 cups of high protein kibble + half a cup of dyne and they eat that over 2-3 days. Whenever both bowls are empty, I refill them. If one dog is hungrier than the other, they tend to each out of each others bowls without issue. Just depends on how active they were that particular day. They're super muscular, healthy and active so this works for them. If your dog is more of just a family dog, this option can lead to it becoming over weight. My dogs only eat when hungry.

·
Registered
Mylo,5 months, Beagle
1 Posts
I also feed my puppy three time a day. But presently I am using packaged food only, can anyone suggest what I can prepare for him at home, that can be healthy and easy to digest for him?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Not single person has mentioned total calories and that's extremely important.
More important is all puppies mature at different rates, different frames and different exercise levels.

I don't think I could have possibly fed the calories my young dog required in 2 meals (6c total @ ~420 kcal/cup) and then moved to 7.5c total :oops: and he was still only 6-7 months old.

But then again, he gets comparatively zero calories from treats or training.

Do whatever you feel works for your dog but for me, I needed to feed 3X per day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts