German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to go out of town for 3 days. I have never been away from Sam for that long. 8 year old GSD adopted from kill shelter on June 2 2018. Perfect Dog!!!

My current plan:

Petsitter comes to get him the afternoon of the first day then keep him with her for two nights then brings him home the third day. She doesn't have any other dogs (good for Sam). He goes to her, leans in, wants a lot of pets. So good right? Does this sound ok?

If I am around, he won't take his eyes off me no matter if the person is holding treats or not. So I am a little worried. I've told her I worry if he gets off leash that he may go looking for me the second or third day (probably not the first since he's used to me being at work most the day). She agreed that he would be on leash at all times.

I would rather not board him, but if you have better ideas, please let me know?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Sorry, this is a tough one with dogs. Your dog is going to miss you and there is no way around this. Best thing I could suggest is to break him in easy with the person so he can have time to warm up. Maybe just leave him for a night first before if possible to make sure he'll be okay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate do it more than I need to, but I understand why. I have asked her to come once a week for him just to take him for a walk then bring him back home. His regular pet sitter can't take him the three days.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Also, here is a recent thread with a similar situation to you except their dog had issues with strangers.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, that's my thread! :) Yeah my dog wasn't happy about being boarded with her trainer (and her two dogs) for one night, but I didn't have a choice and I'm about to do it again for 5 nights. The trainer said she was definitely stressed, and didn't eat breakfast or pee or poop on the second day, but she's just going to have to get over that and I figure the longer she stays, the better she'll adjust. 'Cause she won't have a choice either. At least she was cuddly and affectionate with the trainer and her husband and didn't turn fearful or aggressive. Just stressed.

I feel better doing this over boarding because my pup seeks human contact as comfort (so it would seem), and I feel like a boarding kennel wouldn't be able to give her that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts