German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In November of 2017 we adopted a rescue that had been a stray. We brought him home he was very loving until the 10th day, my daughter who was 13 at the time came out of the bathroom to the livingroom where the dog was sitting with me, we had just brought him home a new toy when she came out she said you got a new toy and reached for it which had not been a big deal before but this time he lunged and barked, I thought it was weird but questioned if he was trying to play but when she reached to pet him he snapped at her so I grab his collar pulling him down the hall to his kennel in my bedroom, a few hrs later I brought him back out and held his collar while he sat at my feet as she sat further down the couch and he was fine until she went to the kitchen and as she came back he tried to aggressively lunge at her, I tightened my grip in his collar as he was still acting vicious while i dragged him to his kennel. I spoke to a few trainers who said he was resource guarding me and she needed to feed him, give him treats, toys, etc so she would become his resource, we did that and took him to some training classes where she was the one working with him. I discovered he would only be aggressive with her if she walked into the room while I was sitting or laying down. After her being the one to do everything for him he got to the point he would seek her out in her room to snuggle and things were good until the last few days he would growl and or put his head down and stare when she even opened her bedroom door but tonight he actually bit her breaking skin down to muscle, when I grabbed him and she ran to get my husband from the shop he was still viciously growling and trying to bite. He is only like this with her and only if someone else is home (if it's just those 2 home hes perfect with her), and shes not a small child shes 5'10 150lbs but he is currently 98lbs. I'm not going to keep him but now wonder if he is safe to go to a new home? I dont get why he doesnt like only her and why sometimes he will seek her out for affection. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,744 Posts
I have no idea what could cause this. You can't diagnose stuff like this online. If you do turn him over to a rescue, you have to be certain that they will be honest about his bite history.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Most reputable breed rescues don't deal with human aggressive dogs for several reasons: (1) there are so many other dogs without behavioral problems needing our scarce resources, (2) most rescues have no specialized knowledge in how to "fix" them, (3) breed rescues ought to be putting good breed ambassadors out in the community, and (4) risk of future liability. You might have to think about #4 too if you rehome him.

·
Registered
9,924 Posts
That would a be a deal breaker for me. I would never keep this dog. Who would take him? Not rescues or any shelter with this history. He might end up as bait for dog fighting or run a great risk of being abused, end up isolated in someones back yard or dead. No matter his reasons I would put him down for everyone's safety, including his.
Check out Ian Dunbar's Biting Scale at:http://apdt.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/ian-dunbar-dog-bite-scale.pdf

His level is 4 at least; very dangerous. I have been in your shoes 25+ years ago so I understand. I am so sorry your family has to experiencing this. I also feel sad for the dog.
Hope your daughter has seen a doctor to prevent and/or treat infection.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
So sorry you guys are having this problem, but glad that your daughter was not hurt more severely!

I agree that no one can diagnose this behavior online! Buy a muzzle and keep it on him to keep your daughter safe while you research your options!

And again, sorry things worked out this way for you guys, he's a beautiful dog!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very sad situation. How is this dog out in public, at the vet, and with other dogs?

Could be he has built of bad feeling towards the daughter and/or doesn't like kids, not an excuse but it would mean he might do well in an adult only home or with a single. There are homes like that out there, if you are willing and able to keep him until you find one- that's up to you though.

No responsible rescue will touch this dog. They have to carry insurance (or they should) and nobody would insure a rescue that took in dogs with this type of bite history.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
The dog would never be in a position to have contact with my daughter again. I wouldn't spend 5 minutes trying to explain or define any cause or reason. Even less time trying to "fix" anything between them. Whatever you can do, kennel, leash, never inside. Whatever you and your husband are comfortable with and willing to do, or not do. There would never again be any situation where he could even sniff my daughter.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I’m glad your daughter is okay and so sorry you have to go through this. No one really knows the history of this dog. This must be heartbreaking. It sounds but I may be assuming he was never seriously corrected for these behaviors and his place in the family was still blurred for some reason and the situation just became a ticking time bomb regardless of your daughter establishing a relationship with the dog the dog still did not know his place for reasons I don’t know. I would also agree to muzzle your dog around your daughter since this behavior is only escalating. You will need speak to a recommended trainer -maybe someone on bear can recommend someone. You do have some serious decisions to make.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I immediately muzzled the dog, put him outside and took my daughter to the hospital for treatment, while gone my husband removed the muzzle but left him in the back yard until we went to bed when his bed was moved to the heated shop and that's where he has remained except when I just let him out to potty and my husband fed him this morning. I will not be keeping the dog but he is such a good dog and loves everyone except my daughter. I've never had a second thought about anyone engaging with him stranger or not even children, he follows my 7yr old nephew around like life long best friends, he loves kids!! Just not my daughter, hes great with other dogs I've taken him to daycare boarding when weve gone out of town and they said he was great. He was aggressive with my daughter starting the 10th day we had him then was fine but started to get weird again the last week. I just dont understand what changed again except I've been taking him for more car rides again as he loves to go everywhere. I feel so lost and heartbroken for both my daughter and Ruger. I've never had an aggressive dog and am torn because I know hes such a great dog but not knowing why he doesnt like her makes me nervous to let him go to someone else.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I immediately muzzled the dog, put him outside and took my daughter to the hospital for treatment, while gone my husband removed the muzzle but left him in the back yard until we went to bed when his bed was moved to the heated shop and that's where he has remained except when I just let him out to potty and my husband fed him this morning. I will not be keeping the dog but he is such a good dog and loves everyone except my daughter. I've never had a second thought about anyone engaging with him stranger or not even children, he follows my 7yr old nephew around like life long best friends, he loves kids!! Just not my daughter, hes great with other dogs I've taken him to daycare boarding when weve gone out of town and they said he was great. He was aggressive with my daughter starting the 10th day we had him then was fine but started to get weird again the last week. I just dont understand what changed again except I've been taking him for more car rides again as he loves to go everywhere. I feel so lost and heartbroken for both my daughter and Ruger. I've never had an aggressive dog and am torn because I know hes such a great dog but not knowing why he doesn't like her makes me nervous to let him go to someone else.
I am sorry to hear all of this. If he is truly switching on your daughter ...ok with her sometimes, then puncturing her others...unprovoked by any obvious reason... then do not let him around ANYONE, especially children. He follows your 7 year old nephew around like a best friend? Well he also will snuggle with your daughter you said. Without knowing what flips his switch, how do you know your little 7 year old nephew wont flip it either? Take zero chances with him going forwards. It isn't worth it and it isn't fair to people who may have their guard down because he seems fine at any given moment.

I went through this, a dog I had for 4 plus years, also a GSD rescue, started to get agitated and aggressive towards things that never bothered him before. One day he did what I would never expect him to do..he bit and gave punctures on my 9 year old son's arm because he dropped something. My son and that dog were never in the same room again. He went to a family friend that had no kids while I figured out what the heck to do. A few weeks, 1000s on trainers and medical tests. No answers, and every good trainer told the truth "you can't reliably fix this with training".

If you are honest with good rescues about this type of bite HX, they will not take him. Again, been there. I even tried a program called "Throw Away Dogs". They will take dogs that have a bite HX with visitors or are just too much working dog for the pet home they went into and place them with police departments that can't afford K9s and such. However they told me they would not take a dog that would bite a family member at such a level unprovoked (like your daughter it was a level 3 or 4 bite- not a warning shot).

I won't say what YOU should do based on a description in text on a forum of a situation I did not witness...but the advice across the board for me from breed savvy trainers and from 2 different vets was to euthanize.

Again, sorry I know how hard this is to deal with.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
No one can tell you what you should do. If he was my dog he would already be euthanized. For most folks kids are a line you just don't cross. They are mine. An unprovoked bite on a child is a one shot deal. I'm sorry and I wish you peace.

I agree completely. Even with excellent training and rehab I would never feel that children would be safe after an unprovoked bite.

To the OP, This is a terrible position to be put in. I'm sorry you and your family are going through this.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Something your daughter does triggers him. Does she move quickly? Have a different pitched voice? Either he came to you with this trigger or he learned it in your home. Either way, as you said, you can’t keep him.

A woman I know offline had a dog that kept attacking her adult son. I asked her to be honest about whether the son may have done something to scare or hurt the dog, and she said yes. It’s possible the dog was harmed in some way by someone resembling your daughter.

When I fostered, I placed an aggressive young dog in a forever home with the help of the rescue. It was a rare breed, not a German Shepherd, that had been abused by men and was aggressive toward young men. I told them I would probably euthanize the dog, but if they insisted on placing in a home, it should be in a rural type area, with a woman or a couple with dog experience and no children and very little other human traffic. They found a home and placed the dog, who thrived with them. There are so many German Shepherds needing homes, I doubt you will find anyone to take him when they have more options.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No one can tell you what you should do. If he was my dog he would already be euthanized. For most folks kids are a line you just don't cross. They are mine. An unprovoked bite on a child is a one shot deal. I'm sorry and I wish you peace.
I have had to do it in the past. It isn't easy. I adopted an older GSD. So, so sweet, except with my daughter. I think she was abused by children throughout her life, then I got her at about 8. First couple snaps, (no blood) I blamed it on my daughter coming in too fast, or surprising her by being a child. Then after a while, I realized, it was PTSD of some sort. It isn't worth the chance that you may end up with something a lot more than a couple of punctures. It may be way worse if you don't take care of it now. :crying:

The problem with rehoming is that they may end up somewhere that the new owners "think" they can deal with it. Then it turns out that they can't, and someone else gets hurt. You will have to carry that on your conscience.

I wish you the best.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My ex had a dog that broke my skin like this. It was a shelter dog. It was completely un-triggered. Some things can't be helped. If his behavior isn't consistently positive, I'd say get rid of him or re-home him to a family member that he trusts and has had no issues with.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have had to do it in the past. It isn't easy. I adopted an older GSD. So, so sweet, except with my daughter. I think she was abused by children throughout her life, then I got her at about 8. First couple snaps, (no blood) I blamed it on my daughter coming in too fast, or surprising her by being a child. Then after a while, I realized, it was PTSD of some sort. It isn't worth the chance that you may end up with something a lot more than a couple of punctures. It may be way worse if you don't take care of it now. :crying:

The problem with rehoming is that they may end up somewhere that the new owners "think" they can deal with it. Then it turns out that they can't, and someone else gets hurt. You will have to carry that on your conscience.

I wish you the best.
I agree with the rehoming statement. And with a dog unpredictable but amazing otherwise the danger is increased. The new owners if they don't know what they are getting into may think you exaggerated or he isn't actually that bad. So they'll get lax and eventually something will provoke him and it could end in another bite possible more severe.

Personally I wouldn't rehome this dog, if I wasn't keeping him I'd euthanize. These are not harmless nips they are bites. You have to think of his future liability and unfortunately the amount of aggressive dogs getting rehomed/sent to shelters is increasing and so are issues with those dogs later on. There simply aren't enough people who want to or will handle them.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
This whole story is just heartbreaking for me! The dog gave ample warning! For whatever reason, and this is what is impossible to determine over the freaking internet!, the kid and the dog have an issue. But the dog did GIVE AMPLE WARNING!

And IMHO, does not deserve to be put down for this incident - the kid in question is 5' 10", 150 #! I've suffered worse bites in training!

Please at least consider finding a good home for him...with full disclosure of course!

·
Registered
31,382 Posts
I"m sorry you are in this situation. That appears to be a full canine bite which to me shows intent. "doesn't like her" is not an accurate description of these events.

If this were my dog, he would get a good day of burgers and play before taking one final drive. You can't rehome a dog that has attacked a member of your family and a young girl to boot. The head drop and stare you describe is, IMO, downright dangerous. If I see that in a dog directed at a cat then I know the dog will kill that cat if given the chance. Until you make your decision, that dog should never have the chance to even lay eyes on your daughter.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts