German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gsdboard members, Im at my whits end with my 2yr old dog's pickiness. he's never been a big eater. We only feed him one meal a day at night, and he will only eat 1.5 cups max. He will only eat the 1.5 cups if we use half a cup to do training during the day time. Then at night, we will put down 1 cup of kibble and he will usually finish it. If you give him 1.5 cups at once, he will always leave half a cup or less left. He is a 70lb dog, and the amount he is eating is way too little. I always think we are underfeeding him. But he doesnt seem to be hungry.

Before anyone jumps to health concerns, I will say that he is very healthy, lean, and athletic. We checked him out at the vet, everything's fine. Were pretty active with him with his 2-3 walks a day, training sessions, play, and other outdoor activities. I just dont know why he is so picky, and has no apetite.

So far, weve tried several brands of dog food with the same results. At first he will like it, but will gradually get bored and picky. We have done the TOUGHLOVE treatment, and are still doing it. The only thing we were able to achieve with that method was him actually eating the food when we put it down. But we havent been able to change how little he eats.

I know he is healthy because he happily ate a raw 2lb rabbit, and will gobble up any raw meals. But with kibble, he just wont touch it. I dont have the room in my tiny fridge and budget for a complete raw diet at the moment. I want to know if this is just something we need to just deal with for the rest of his life, or if theres anything we can do more.

heres a picture of my bad boy for reference

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
If that picture is his current condition, I wouldn't worry...he looks great from that angle.

I might've missed it, but have you tried feeding him 2x's a day? Maybe he just doesn't like to eat much in one sitting. He also may be showing a preference towards raw and not wanting much to do with the kibble on kibble days. You could try spicing up the kibble by adding things to it. Perhaps a little raw mixed in, or things like yogurt, cottage cheese, gravy, canned food, etc? But of course, once you do that, you may be in it for the long haul. I'm not really a fan of mixing in things myself, but mine all love to eat.

What kibble are you feeding?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is currently eating EVO redmeat kibble. we are thinking about rotating brands every 30lb bag we buy to keep his interest.

as long as he is healthy, then i guess i have no reason to worry. i would just prefer that he eat at least the recommended amount.

thanks for everyones input on my situation. i leave you guys with this pic i snapped this afternoon on our walk.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he looks good. the problem with the recommended amounts that you find on the bag is its often too much. Owners who follow the recommendations on the bag per weight of the animal are usually the owners you see with overweight dogs who are in turn unhealthy. Judging by his body condition in those pictures, you have it easy. I wouldnt worry too much about it. You can add in wet food like taste of the wild if you want too. That could encourage him to eat a bit more at meal times but otherwise, unless he starts dropping weight, i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I also got a bit confused with the amounts and times you feed...

My dogs can do fine on 1 cup of food for breakfast. And one cup of food for dinner. So a total of 2 cups a day. Depending on training there may be a bunch more calories for the day if I'm adding training treats. Sometimes in the summer I am able to up the exercise so I have to also increase the food but I judge this by how they look, and increase/decrease to keep them lean and fit.

The most I give them is 3 cups a day (split up). Generally they do better with smaller meals.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
he looks fine. if he's hungry add some green beans.

I had a dog that wouldn't eat very much either. sometimes he wouldn't eat for a week no matter what I did to make it more interesting he wouldn't eat. some days he'd eat some days he wouldn't, better than a chow hound that gets fat easily.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just as an fyi to everyone helping. With Evo red meat, he is eating just under 800 k/cal. He seems to fall into the "Less Active" feeding category on the back of the bag. Maybe he only needs 800 calories to sustain himself?

If it were my dog and I was concerned about his eating habits, I would supplement with some cheap raw food.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts