German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hx: Jupe was a case from a large seizure in South GA 01/04/2019. He was almost 5mo when he was surrendered by the breeder. He was surrender along with nearly 300 other German shepherds. He was neglected, beaten, malnourished and living in literal inches of feces for nearly his entire life. He’s full German Shepherd. Possibly long coat. (He’s fluffy and not like my dad’s short haired GSD). We adopted him 02/22/2019. He was almost 6mo at that time. We have done immense training professionally with him to boost his confidence (scent work to give him positive reinforcements and a job to do). He’s gotten a lot better in the 20mo we’ve had him. Never a bitter. He’s a “flight dog”, not a “fight dog”. Recently, he’s started to be mouthy when we play (mouth open, touches our skin, will put his mouth over our hand or our wrist that’s holding the toy). (For the last 17mo, play time was always with a closed mouth. He would just nose the toys if we were holding them.) Jupe never bares down on us. Doesn’t close his mouth over my hand or wrist. Never leaves a mark, certainly doesn’t puncture skin. We say “no” and he stops. I don’t have a problem with playful mouthing during playtime (I’ve never owned a GSD before and read forums where GSD’s can get out of hand quickly is left unchecked). However, this past weekend we took him to my in-laws to pick up our son. He proceeded to get impatient (I presume with us standing around) and started nibbling at our hands. We told him to stop. He’d settle down, get antsy quickly, pop up and do it again. He doesn’t make noise ever unless he’s with my dad and his dog. This past weekend, he started making the whiny noises he does when he gets excited with my father and his dog.
I’m not sure if this is a one off due to high excitement (we took him on a road trip with us and had just gotten back into town when we went to my in-laws). But the mouthy-ness seems to be progressing. Any suggestions/thoughts? We are first time GSD owners. (Previous breeds include: Boxer, Golden Retrievers, and Lab/Chow mix.) Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Sounds like he was just getting antsy like you suspected. A few minutes for a short jog or some activity to stretch his legs and burn off a little energy would have been a good idea.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Agree. Willow does this when she's excited about treats or going for a walk; she kinda mouths my hand if it's hanging by my side, and if not, she'll nudge my legs or butt. It's like "HURRY UP I'M SO EXCITED"! She also will do this to other people if we're on a hike and she's walking behind them.

I don't care enough to train Willow out of it, because it's so gentle and I think it's kinda cute. Hopefully others on here will have better advice. Maybe as soon as he does it, stop moving, don't talk, don't even look at him... and wait for him to calm down, then proceed? Eventually he'll learn that that behavior results in the opposite thing he wants, and he'll stop?

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Nibbling isn’t biting, it’s talking. Grabbing your hand is also communicating. I would stop that, but I don’t think it’s aggression.
Agree.

BUT ... the dog is two inches away from moving from talking to ... dictating.

If it escalates a hair more; it should never happen again.

Luvs is spot on, but man, I’d be watching.

Best of luck!

Reactions: ABehm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hx: Jupe was a case from a large seizure in South GA 01/04/2019. He was almost 5mo when he was surrendered by the breeder. He was surrender along with nearly 300 other German shepherds. He was neglected, beaten, malnourished and living in literal inches of feces for nearly his entire life. He’s full German Shepherd. Possibly long coat. (He’s fluffy and not like my dad’s short haired GSD). We adopted him 02/22/2019. He was almost 6mo at that time. We have done immense training professionally with him to boost his confidence (scent work to give him positive reinforcements and a job to do). He’s gotten a lot better in the 20mo we’ve had him. Never a bitter. He’s a “flight dog”, not a “fight dog”. Recently, he’s started to be mouthy when we play (mouth open, touches our skin, will put his mouth over our hand or our wrist that’s holding the toy). (For the last 17mo, play time was always with a closed mouth. He would just nose the toys if we were holding them.) Jupe never bares down on us. Doesn’t close his mouth over my hand or wrist. Never leaves a mark, certainly doesn’t puncture skin. We say “no” and he stops. I don’t have a problem with playful mouthing during playtime (I’ve never owned a GSD before and read forums where GSD’s can get out of hand quickly is left unchecked). However, this past weekend we took him to my in-laws to pick up our son. He proceeded to get impatient (I presume with us standing around) and started nibbling at our hands. We told him to stop. He’d settle down, get antsy quickly, pop up and do it again. He doesn’t make noise ever unless he’s with my dad and his dog. This past weekend, he started making the whiny noises he does when he gets excited with my father and his dog.
I’m not sure if this is a one off due to high excitement (we took him on a road trip with us and had just gotten back into town when we went to my in-laws). But the mouthy-ness seems to be progressing. Any suggestions/thoughts? We are first time GSD owners. (Previous breeds include: Boxer, Golden Retrievers, and Lab/Chow mix.) Thank you.
"He was surrendered along with nearly 300 other German shepherds."
I just wanted to say how incredibly sad this makes me....
It was insane. The loopholes we have in our state allowed this to happen for so long. (In addition to the breeder's sister being involved in the local government.) Years of neighbors sending videos, making calls, etc. Nothing happened. But, finally they were all surrendered at Jupe's location. And her second location in another county was surrendered a month later. An additional 200 shepherds at the second compound.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
"He was surrender along with nearly 300 other German shepherds."
I just wanted to say how incredibly sad this makes me....
Agreed. It’s friggin’ horrible!

BUT that also requires the monitoring of his behavior to require a little more intensity.

Again. Best of luck to the OP!

Reactions: ABehm

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It's a whole lot of potential problem dogs that hopefully find good homes but won't be bred.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts