German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done my fair share of this stage. My Parker is 13 months old. He hit his fear stage and I noticed him acting completely reactive out of nowhere very suddenly once he hit his 1 year mark. I decided to take it upon myself to update his obedience training as well as a boot camp with a reputable trainer. Very costly so far. I just got done with training and every day from now on I will be training him for about 10 minutes 3x a day so he doesn't get bored of commands and its still fun for him as a "job".

My main question is do I avoid reactivity prone situations until this stage is done (about 3 months)? I know that this isn't a correct gauge of the stage but its an average. Situations include other dog meetings while walking, Reactive toward People approaching

Or should I keep trying but at a minimum outside looking in point of view?

I may be answering my own questions but I would like some reassurance since I spent a HUGE amount of change paying for training and lessons. Also buying books such as Control Unleashed and reading articles such as leerburg.

Any POINTERS from situations of reactivity would help greatly thank you!

Lou

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I would try to keep interactions with the things he is reacting to as positive and controlled as possible. Control Unleashed is a good book, there are other books out there on reactivity issues that might be helpful as well. If you can find a reactive dog class in your area this might be a good option, or possibly a trainer with a "regular" obedience class who is willing to help you work with your dog in the class but in a way that would work for your dog, if your dog can handle it. For example with my reactive dog I found a trainer who would let is go to their obedience classes but stay on the edge of the class and let me work with my dog on her reactivity while around the other dogs but on the 'outskirts' of the class. This might be better suited at a point when you and your dog are more advanced in dealing with the reactivity, not something to jump into right away depending on your dog's level and coping skills.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts