German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a 2nd german shepherd, but i'm not sure when to get it, how old should Skylar be? She'll be 1 year old in May, the breeder that i'd get it from has a litter every year around that time. Would 1 be the best age for Skylar? 2? 3?
Would a male be the best? (skylar is a female)

I was thinking 2 would be the best, they could still play together but Skylar would be more mature, would that work?

:help:

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'm not saying you are, but I hope you're not just going to get another one just for a playmate.

Two dogs = 2x the cost in money, 2x in almost excercise, and 2x the responsibility.

If you haven't already, I'd take my time in making that decision. However, if you've thought it through, go for it!

As for gender, you'll have to wait on the more experienced members to answer.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Gender really depends on individual dogs and their tempraments. I have 3 adults (got a baby making #4 yesterday). I have one male and now 3 females. I would discuss it with your breeder and get his/her input if they know your dog and let them know what you are looking for.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I agree I love having two dogs. However mine aren't very close in age. Sobacca is 4 YO and would sometimes rather not be bothered by Minna (she's 5months). If I have the money though I'm going to look to add a third around the time Minna is 18 months old because by then she'll be totally trained but still puppy enough for a baby pup in the house.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not getting another one just as a playmate for her, I've always planned on getting 2 dogs and knew getting 2 pups at the same time would've been a horrible decision for me :)

My parents have always had one boy and 2 girls, but I think i might go for a girl & a boy. Of course it all depends on personality when I meet them, the breeder actually picked Skylar out for me and it couldn't have been a better match- I just wanted some other input.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Personally, I like to have them a little farther apart because I'd rather not deal with 2x the senior issues, 2x the senior vet bills, 2x the possible joint/incontinence/etc problems, and finally having them grow old and die too close together.

My original plan was to have them 4 or 5 years apart but Cash was killed in an accident and it looks like my new pup will be nearly 9 years younger than Rocky. Not what I had originally wanted but not terrible either.

There are up sides and down sides to different age gaps, but consider the senior/end of life issues carefully when you're thinking about that baby puppy.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My older dog (Bruno) was 2.5 when we got our puppy. I thought it would be better to wait but for our situation it would have been much better to have gotten the puppy when Bruno was much younger. It may be different for other people though.

Bruno HATED Navah and is JUST, 4 months later, tolerating her. Every chance she got she would torment him because she loved him so much and wanted to play. Bruno, not being a puppy anymore spent the last 4 months irritated and a little bit depressed. I think if I got her when Bruno was less then a year they would have had a closer mentality level then they do now. Rather then my poor older dog being harssed all the time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.