German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after completing the ever so tedious state vet report form (Thank you Sheri and Mary Anne!) we figured out that we adopted out 298 dogs in the calendar year 2008. Wahoo!

I think we have another sixty that are rolling over from 2008 to 2009 that are in foster homes.

You would think that things would get easier as time goes by, since we have spayed and neutered so many dogs in this area. But, unfortunately, we are as busy as ever.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Lea- that is wonderful news! I know what a hard and thankless job this can be, so I give a great big Thank you to you and all of those who help in rescue! Until we are without a job, we have to keep it up! Way to go, all of you!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That is almost 1 dog per day. That is amazing.

And yes, I agree you would think it would get better, but it doesn't seem to be. I think it is getting worse with the economy being so bad.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Lea, that is wonderful!!!
We did not hit your high mark, but we did 100 dogs. Not all of ours were GSD's though. We have 13 in our begining inventory.

You guys are awesome!!
If you don't mind me asking, about how many fosters do you average at any given time?

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
You are Angels on Earth!

This is the dog team report from my local spca~There are many volunteers and only a few paid positions, kennel hands and vet techs:
Amazingly, we finished 2008 with the exact same number of rescues and adoptions: 1,035. These numbers represent a small decline from 2007 rescue and adoption figures, as provided below. Home for the Holidays saved us from a much more serious decline in adoption numbers.
Dogs and Puppies Rescued in 2008: 1,035
Dogs Returned in 2008 from previous years: 46
Dogs and Puppies Rescued in 2007: 1,132
Percentage Change 2008 versus 2007: -8.5%
Dogs and Puppies Adopted in 2008: 1,035
Dogs and Puppies Adopted in 2007: 1,059
Percentage Change 2008 versus 2007: -2.2%
Rescued Dogs and Puppies that Died in SPCA Care in 2008: 45, or 4% of all rescued dogs and puppies
Causes of Death:
Parvo in Puppies: 23 fatalities, or 2.2% of all dogs and puppies rescued
Euthanized as Unadoptable: 10 cases, or 1.0% of all dogs and puppies rescued
Unviable Puppies that Died At or Shortly After Birth: 8 fatalities, or 0.8% of rescued pets
Puppies that Died During Sterilization Surgery: 2 cases
Dogs that were Mercifully Released from Incurable, Painful Disease: 2 cases

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Congratulations Lea and VGSR!!!
298 lives saved and 298 happy families, this is something to be proud of! Everybody can make a difference by volunteering and saving a life!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts