German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any notable experiences with this company? I've had two dogs microchipped through them and both have had issues.

The first was a rescue, microchipped by a veterinarian in the proper position at 14 months. It found its way somewhere it could not be read by the scanner when it was checked the next year at his annual physical, and he had to have a new one inserted. It was also placed correctly by a different vet and it now sits over his left shoulder blade but is still readable. I have both sets of paperwork and tags, just in case.

The second dog was chipped at six months by that same veterinarian. I still have all the paperwork and tags. The chip is still in place, but when I went to link the chip to my existing account it wouldn't let me. "Oh well," I figured... if she's found it's still in my name and my number hasn't changed. But today I got a call from their office to tell me that my Boston Terrier was found at a shelter in Wisconsin. I live in Savannah, GA and that "boston terrier" was my GSD who was asleep on my feet under the desk. They asked me to go to the vet to have the chip scanned to verify the number, which I immediately did. The number matched all the paperwork.
They asked me to fill out a 'change of ownership' form, which I could not do because I was the original owner. After a while on the phone with a very nice customer rep she made all the necessary changes.

I have a few dogs who need to be microchipped, but given the issues I've had with this company I'm not sure if I should continue to use their products or services. That poor boston terrier may never find his rightful owner...

Those of you who microchip, who did you use? Have they been reliable? Is this just a fluke with 24PetWatch that is just bad luck? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i have 2 animals (cat and gsd) that have been microchipped with them i have personally never had an issue with them. there was a weird way to sign up a user account but once i got it, it was okay. and dia had to go to the vet on post and give microchip info and they found it right away... not sure what to tell you.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
I like the AKC chip registry program (only because I called them to try to chase down information on a tattoo on a rescue, and they recognized the phone number I was calling from and immediately wanted to be sure I wasn't calling about the dog they had on file connected to my phone number--they're on the ball). I also like Home Again.

Home Again is a little different as you can just pay the one-time registration fee with your microchipping, or opt to pay a "premium" annual fee of $17 that includes access to a 24/7 emergency vet help line (and animal poison control), and you can call it as often as you need. That's been nice for peace of mind a few times. They also will do an email-blast to shelters and vets in your area with a "lost" poster, in the event your dog is missing, if you have the premium service.

·
Banned
11,005 Posts
We use 24petwatch and haven't had issues with any.
The online account is glitchy but it's really okay overall.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the AKC chip registry program (only because I called them to try to chase down information on a tattoo on a rescue, and they recognized the phone number I was calling from and immediately wanted to be sure I wasn't calling about the dog they had on file connected to my phone number--they're on the ball). I also like Home Again.

Home Again is a little different as you can just pay the one-time registration fee with your microchipping, or opt to pay a "premium" annual fee of $17 that includes access to a 24/7 emergency vet help line (and animal poison control), and you can call it as often as you need. That's been nice for peace of mind a few times. They also will do an email-blast to shelters and vets in your area with a "lost" poster, in the event your dog is missing, if you have the premium service.
Thanks! I'll check into this!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts