German Shepherds Forum banner

2019 goals

2K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  car2ner 
#1 ·
Hope everyone had a great Holiday. Now that 2019 is right around the corner, I’m sure we all have goals to meet in 2019. Would love to hear what you all have planned with your pooches.
Mine with Ozzy are a BN and CD, PDC and maybe a PSA1. We have an AKC trial next month for BN.
Happy New Year and good luck

Reactions: Jax08
#2 ·
I've got a whole list of competition/titling goals for each dog, broken down into "doable", "bonus", and "super bonus". "Doable" goals are ones I'm pretty sure we can accomplish if everyone stays healthy and I don't have any major unplanned expenses. "Bonus" goals are harder, but still within reach. "Super bonus" goals are unlikely to be accomplished, but never say never. And if we don't reach any of them.... eh, we'll still have fun trying.

Reactions: Jax08
#3 ·
My goal is to work more on shed hunting with my pup. This year I got her fetching and retrieving them around my yard. Now I'm planning on taking her places and having her look for ones I hide. This summer I plan on going back home and I know good places to find shed antlers so I'll go there and hopefully get her to find naturally dropped ones.

I also have a dog I'm fostering/considering keeping. My goal for him is to get house manners and basic training down and decide where to go once we get there. Finally figured out how to get him to lay down so going to attempt to get it paired to a command now! Along with continuing to proof on his sit and such. (Year old dog with no real training.)

#10 ·
Lets hear about those accomplishments!

Surprisingly, we ended up getting our BH in October after not really training all year. I also left the club I joined in haste and returned to my "home club" where my spark for training returned. We are both learning and having a tone of fun.

No goals for 2020 other than training. :)

#9 ·
Katsu - NW1 (possibly NW2), SBN (Scentwork Buried Novice), SCN (Container Novice), SIA (Interior Advanced) and maybe a BH.

Steel - I'd like to try for CGC/A/U and work towards his BH. We've got a while before he can complete it. We may try UKC Conformation, RATI/RATN and get him started on some NACSW Scentwork foundations.

#14 ·
Steel did earn his BH-VT, CGC and RATO, plus a bunch of other things this year (FastCAT, Trick Dog, CATs, Herding Instinct - to be trained on, GSDCA TC).
Next year I want to go for his IGP1 at some point. My breeder is teasing for April, but I don't think we'll be ready - we have too much to train. CGCA just because, maybe a CGCU. I want to continue the CATs and go to at least a CAX (Coursing Ability Excellent) - it's a fun and relaxing sport so maybe we'll slowly add on past that. Maybe a PT or HT if we ever get to do our herding lessons (been cancelled so far).

Katsu did earn her NW1, we got SCN and then took a break from trialing since I officially set a date for Steel's BH and felt the need to follow through.
Next year, I want to go for her NW2, SBN to finish off her SWN (AKC Scentwork Novice title). Still a "maybe" on BH for her.

#11 ·
My goals for Cinder are NA, TKI, CGC, BN, and a herding instincts test and temperament test thrown in.
The most important tests I want her to pass are the health tests though!

I would like to see about conformation with the UKC, but I'm not sure how well she would do. I don't know how to assess if it would be worth trying or not as I didn't purchase her as a show prospect.

I'm a complete newbie at training dogs, so I have a ton to learn to even get the easier titles! We've barely started agility so far, and are going to start obedience classes this month or next after the holidays. Trick dog and canine good citizen are things I'm practicing for myself.

#12 ·
Ozzy earned his CD, CGC, CGCU, TDI, Did awesome in Dock diving competitions. Received Reserved Grand Champion at the Wisconsin State Fair. Multiple 1sts at other events.
2020 might be a lull due to having surgery in Feb but hope to get his title in Dock diving
Puppy Indy just training

#13 ·
Ozzy earned his CD, CGC, CGCU, TDI, Did awesome in Dock diving competitions. Received Reserved Grand Champion at the Wisconsin State Fair. Multiple 1sts at other events.
2020 might be a lull due to having surgery in Feb but hope to get his title in Dock diving
Puppy Indy just training
Forgot Ozzy passed his Herding Instinct Test

#15 · (Edited)
Well, we did accomplish some things this year.

Leo the GSD earned her:
All Dogs Parkour Level 1 Grand Championship
GeoPup Sports Beginner Seeker
GeoPup Sports Beginner Tracker
GeoPup Sports Novice Seeker
GeoPup Sports Novice Tracker
Outdoor Dog Wagging Walker (Distance Track) Level 1
Outdoor Dog Wagging Walker (Distance Track) Level 2

Lily the APBT earned her:
All Dogs Parkour Level 2 Premier
All Dogs Parkour Level 3 Premier
All Dogs Parkour Level 1 Grand Championship
International Dog Parkour Association Novice Parkour Dog
GeoPup Sports Beginner Seeker
GeoPup Sports Beginner Tracker
GeoPup Sports Novice Seeker
GeoPup Sports Novice Tracker
Outdoor Dog Wagging Walker (Distance Track) Level 1
Outdoor Dog Wagging Walker (Distance Track) Level 2

And thanks to the fact that I hadn't deleted any of her videos, Ilka earned her International Dog Parkour Association Novice Parkour Dog title two years after her death.

I also have one car that has new ball joints and tie rod ends, as well as a new (used) transmission, and another car with a new alternator, new rack, and new (used) door (the latter being needed as the result of an accident on the way to have the alternator replaced). Oh, and a new meter can, a new circuit breaker, and a few new wall receptacles to plug stuff into (still waiting for the bill for the last two visits). The piece de resistance of the year, though, was the new HVAC system.

#17 ·
Good luck to you and Shadow!!

I just read about what a CGN is...Rumo will flunk tests 2 and 3 for sure, he will pass everything else easily.
(Tests 2 and 3 are being petted on head/shoulders by a stranger and being groomed by a stranger, ack!! )

#18 ·
Good luck to you and Shadow!!

I just read about what a CGN is...Rumo will flunk tests 2 and 3 for sure, he will pass everything else easily.
(Tests 2 and 3 are being petted on head/shoulders by a stranger and being groomed by a stranger, ack!! )
She may fail. Lol. And that's fine but with my anxiety gaining ground and her history if we can both get through it that is huge. Nothing compared to some of you and no where near the work and training.

#19 ·
Hope everyone had a great Holiday. Now that 2019 is right around the corner, I’m sure we all have goals to meet in 2019. Would love to hear what you all have planned with your pooches.
Mine with Ozzy are a BN and CD, PDC and maybe a PSA1. We have an AKC trial next month for BN.
Happy New Year and good luck
TDX and CDX...

But...we are painfully slow at accomplishing anything. And the fall tracking season was cut short by early winter and we didn't track nearly as much as I had hoped. But we will hope for next season... we are still tracking, he tracked really well yesterday including a road crossing and a water obstacle.

#22 ·
My goals is to get my gal-dog to do a long down while I work with my big-boy and vice-versa. This would be easier with two people but I'm the one home all day so I'll probably be using a place object and a long line to start.
Recall is improving. Outs are improving. Those are always important to keep at high level obedience.
I'll want to continue man-trailing, since it is great fun for us. I hope to get into a rally trial and see if that is a hobby we want to continue. And for fun and games I want to see if I can teach my dogs to back up around me, not just through my legs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.