German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have looked at the sleepy pod and at first I really liked it. the fact that it has a 3 point attachment.
BUT after viewing the crash test...I can't help but notice that all the "dog dummies" are always in a sitting position and not lying down...I mean how many dogs do you know that sit in the rear of the car?

I know my dog does not sit up in the car - especially not on the long drives - he lays down. I wouldn't mind too much if the harness was somewhat restrictive and didn't allow the dog to sit up. But surely a dog should be able to lie down on long drives? My concern is that with large dogs this couldn't be done on therear seat.

I mean it is physically impossible for my dog to lie down on the back seat and face the direction of driving (like humans do when we are in the car). But if the dogs lies on the seats than it is not facing the direction of the drive and if there is an accident - wouldn't the rear end of the dog be propelled forwards and so the dog could brake his spine? I mean I would fell a lot better if the car safety was designed so that something would also hold back the dogs rear end from catapulting from the seat...(so more like a 5 point adjustement)

Just my 2 cents :) I think this is the problem with all the crash tested dog seat belts. They are tested as if dogs were sitting in the car...

But I could see how this harness could be good in the back of the caravan car (in the trunk part) as there my dog would be able to lie down facing the direction of the driving...

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I have looked at the sleepy pod and at first I really liked it. the fact that it has a 3 point attachment.
BUT after viewing the crash test...I can't help but notice that all the "dog dummies" are always in a sitting position and not lying down...I mean how many dogs do you know that sit in the rear of the car?

I know my dog does not sit up in the car - especially not on the long drives - he lays down. I wouldn't mind too much if the harness was somewhat restrictive and didn't allow the dog to sit up. But surely a dog should be able to lie down on long drives? My concern is that with large dogs this couldn't be done on therear seat.

I mean it is physically impossible for my dog to lie down on the back seat and face the direction of driving (like humans do when we are in the car). But if the dogs lies on the seats than it is not facing the direction of the drive and if there is an accident - wouldn't the rear end of the dog be propelled forwards and so the dog could brake his spine? I mean I would fell a lot better if the car safety was designed so that something would also hold back the dogs rear end from catapulting from the seat...(so more like a 5 point adjustement)

Just my 2 cents :) I think this is the problem with all the crash tested dog seat belts. They are tested as if dogs were sitting in the car...

But I could see how this harness could be good in the back of the caravan car (in the trunk part) as there my dog would be able to lie down facing the direction of the driving...
The problem with using this particular harness in a cargo area of a SUV or van would be negating the third point, so it would only be connected by two points minus the third point which is the seatbelt. If you used the seatbelt in the back seat a SUV/van even folded down you probably would still be able to use the seatbelt possible as the third point which wouldn't allow the dog to turn 180

Delgado cannot do a 180 in my car, and wouldn't be able to using the seatbelt as the third point either unless he decided to become extremely acrobatic in the small space provided

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks very much for that link.

Based on the research above, which seemed quite comprehensive, I was seconds away from ordering a Kurgo, now I'll have to revisit things. I'm quite surprised at the ones that failed, which up to that point, I would have guessed would have been the best performers.

I'm referring to the Bergan and Kurgo (Enhanced Strength) harnesses. Instead, they both had Catastrophic Failures in the 75 pound weight category! :eek:

The Sleepypod Clickit Utility was the one they rated as a top performer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
PS A few more things, for those who want to make decisions. The Sleepypod harness uses the LATCH anchors in the back seats, so make sure your car has them. It could make connecting the harness a bit more work I suppose, as you have to unclick that, and some cars, the anchor is tucked in the seat fold, so not super easy to reach. It's MSRP is $100 also, vs. $30 or so for the Bergan and Kurgo.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Thanks very much for that link.

Based on the research above, which seemed quite comprehensive, I was seconds away from ordering a Kurgo, now I'll have to revisit things. I'm quite surprised at the ones that failed, which up to that point, I would have guessed would have been the best performers.

I'm referring to the Bergan and Kurgo (Enhanced Strength) harnesses. Instead, they both had Catastrophic Failures in the 75 pound weight category! :eek:

The Sleepypod Clickit Utility was the one they rated as a top performer.
I am very happy with my Kurgo purchase. I bought the enhanced strength- the one tested for up to 85 lbs. It's like $75, but they frequently send coupons codes. You can see my review on their website, last I checked it was the only one

·
Registered
751 Posts

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
I've used rough rider for years - Although there are plastic buckles incorporated, they are not the stress points - they just help adjust the harness. And it is easy to put on if you ignore their directions.
1. It is basically a figure 8 harness
2. take the section of the 8 with the handle on it, slip it under the dog - up the butt putting the tail and back legs in the "O" of that section of the 8.
3. Move it up to the arm pitts.
4. Pull the smaller section of the 8 under the dogs chest between it's front legs and over the dog's head.
5. Slip loops together (ie longer loop through smaller loop) (each section of the 8 has a loop.)
6. Fasten non weight bearing buckle.

It's easy, it goes fast once you get the hang of it. And the dogs help because it means "Car Ride!"

If you haven't got a roadie in hand, these instructions will make absolutely no sense to you!

Happy trails!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts