German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
very interesting read... I don't think anyone on the forum will be very surprised by the findings. Very sad how in several of the cases only the media call the dogs "pit bulls"

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was just so sad to read about the kids.. How could anyone leave a newborn with an animal?

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Very intersting breakdown of these cases. I think it safe to say that 100% of these cases stem from poor stewardship of the dog.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
It appears that poverty is the leading risk factor of dying as a result of a dog attack.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Excellent information...what stikes me is how so many of these deaths could have been prevented...in reality, for most of the child deaths, it appears to be a case of parental negligence. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
YES to all of the above. Blaming a particular breed is easy and it sells. Blaming someone mourning the loss of a child is not PC...

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I read about a fatal dog attack on a newborn infant by a Pomeranian! This is actually not too surprising if you realize that people treat their toy breed dogs like babies. I have always been a dog lover & have had or spent time with mastiffs of different types, GSDs, Boxers, Great Danes, English Bulldogs, French Bulldogs, etc. My one Frenchie is very dog aggressive at times, within our own pack. We deal with him in a firm manner- he always gets fed last, is told to sit before petting, is not allowed on our laps unless we invite him up, he NEVER sleeps on our bed with us, & so forth. The size of the dog is irrelevant when it comes to aggression - it is relevant in the amount of trauma they can cause. I have to admit that in spite of never being leery of any breed of dog, I am very afraid of the "pit bull" type/breeds. I am an educated person & a well-versed dog owner, but I simply cannot get over this fear of them. :confused:I have to wonder if this is because of all the poorly-bred BTB dogs that everyone here in Alabama have chained to a tree or fenced in their back yards. I believe if I met a serious breeder & show person of the different pitt type breeds, I would not be as fearful. Also, all the Mr. Tough Guys down South never have their dogs neutered - a girl at work said that her brother loves his dog's "junk" hangin' down.:mad: CraigsList is chock full of pittbull puppies - why don't people have their dogs spayed/nuetered? So many dogs are put down in the shelters, especially if they are of a pitt type. I feel so sorry for them.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
maxtmill - I have met some really nice pit bulls. As a matter of fact, there is a sweet pit mix that lives behind me. Oddly, my dog aggressive GSD likes her. I do understand your fear though. While I have nothing against pits, it would not be my breed of choice. I live close to Baltimore City. Both the city shelter, SPCA and our county humane society are full of pit bulls and pit mixes. If you want to adopt from one of our local shelters and don't want a pit, you are pretty much out of luck. Likewise, Craigslist is primarily pit bulls - including tons of pit bull puppies.

So - If you and I don't want to adopt a pit bull and many other people don't want to adopt pit bulls, it the dogs who suffer. Stupid people keep allowing the dogs to breed. It is a shame for the pit bulls.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
It is absolutely amazing to me that some people simply do not have any shred of common sense at all. What is the thought process that allows a parent to walk away and leave their infant or toddler in a room with large dogs unsupervised? Why would anyone ever think that would be an alright thing to do?

The case that bothers me the most is the one of the little boy in Florida who was killed by the family dog while his mother slept on the same bed next to him. I would like to know what substances the mother was under the influence of to have slept through her baby being attacked by a dog!

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Chris - Isn't that the one where the mother was 16 years old? Babies having babies. Not enough maturity, or sense to be a mother. You're probably right about the drugs. Hard to believe someone could sleep through that.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think people put too much trust into their pets. People want to believe that their baby will be fine with the dog for a few minutes because the dog would never do anything to hurt anyone. Well I disagree with that. I could never put 100% trust into an animal no matter what. They can't talk, we don't know what goes through their head, and I can't say I trust any human 100% anyway. I trust my dogs pretty well that they wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone in the family, but I would NEVER leave them unattended with a child.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I read or heard somewhere (?) that the cry or squealing of a baby or child is similar to an animal in distress, & may set off a dog with a high prey drive. Has anyone else heard this theory?

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to admit that in spite of never being leery of any breed of dog, I am very afraid of the "pit bull" type/breeds. I am an educated person & a well-versed dog owner, but I simply cannot get over this fear of them. :confused:I have to wonder if this is because of all the poorly-bred BTB dogs that everyone here in Alabama have chained to a tree or fenced in their back yards. I believe if I met a serious breeder & show person of the different pitt type breeds, I would not be as fearful. Also, all the Mr. Tough Guys down South never have their dogs neutered - a girl at work said that her brother loves his dog's "junk" hangin' down.:mad: CraigsList is chock full of pittbull puppies - why don't people have their dogs spayed/nuetered? So many dogs are put down in the shelters, especially if they are of a pitt type. I feel so sorry for them.
With all of the media frenzy over these dogs (and the people who are mostly attracted to them because of it) your fear is completely understandable.. But first, you must learn what a Pit Bull is before you fear it. I would say a good 80% of not more of the 'Pit Bulls' you see and hear about on the news are not Pit Bulls at all. So education is a must. Here is a quick example.

All three are breeds.. The 1st is American Bully. The 2nd is American Staffordshire Terrier. The 3rd is the only Pit Bull, the american Pit Bull terrier.

But all three would be considered 'Pit Bulls' by someone who isn't educated in the breed.. This is true so many other bull (or terrier) breeds, but I won't swamp this thread with differ breed pics.

Overbreeding is a HUGE problem with the breed, when I got on petfinder entire pages are Bull-breeds. Most puppy ad's are 'pit bulls', which are usually BYB mutts or American Bullies.

As for not neutering - if you're responsible I don't care, I like my males natural but I will never breed them.. However most people are not very responsible and seem to think a dog should have several litters to be happy - this goes for any breed.

Pit Bull's, the real ones not the mutts, are supposed to show dog aggression, at shows judges don't mind them firing up at other dogs as it's a breed trait. Human aggression, however, is looked down on and dogs of this breed who shows it need to the put down.

Chaining a bulldog is actually a very good way to contain them.. A proper kennel is better (so other animals can't get onto their chainspot), but the price to make several (some yards have upwards of 10+ dogs) PROPER kennels is going to be high. You need a concrete bottom, a top, and very durable and strong sides. These dogs are escape artists and their tenacity makes all but the strongest of kennel out to be a joke.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So - If you and I don't want to adopt a pit bull and many other people don't want to adopt pit bulls, it the dogs who suffer. Stupid people keep allowing the dogs to breed. It is a shame for the pit bulls.
Yes, it's a shame so many dogs will die... And call me cruel to say this, but I think we need to put down a lot more pit bulls in shelters. Shelters for the most part do not know how to properly place a pit dog. The send them home with families as companions for their other dogs, they don't educate them on animal aggression.. They don't tell them never to have this dog off leash in public, to avoid dog parks. It hurts me to go to my local shelter and see my very favorite dogs overflowing their cages, and that particular shelter (NNSPCA) will adopt to multi-animal households.

Come to that, we need to put down a lot more dogs in general.. While admirable, when a shelter or rescue pours tons of resources into one dog because it's aggressive/fearful, sick or injured, how many healthy and stable dogs could have been saved with those resources?

It sounds awful to say that, but take a stroll through some local kill shelters and sit in the lobby for a while and WATCH several dogs being brought in, by owners, by AC etc.
Overpopulation is a HUGE problem... And while I think just about every life deserves a chance, it simply can't be done. So I think it's unfair to put $100's - $1,000's into a single dog when that money could be stretched to save many who are healthy and stable.

I love dogs, but even I can't cast a blind eye over the problem. Kill Shelters have a 'save them all' mentality so often.. They push dogs on people who can't handle them. My friend adopted an American Bully from this shelter, she came in looking as some lab mix pups, but they really pushed this adult male on her until she fell in love and adopted him. She went back and talked to some of the people, looking to get a young female dog. They talked her into getting a male APBT mix. Many bloody fights later she is stuck with this dog, rotating him with her Bully or else he will kill the big mutt. The shelter said if THEY take him back, they will put him down, but she can't rehome him since it's against her contract. So she is between a rock and a hard place. Kill her dog or live with two adult males who will paint her walls with blood if they get loose. And this is from the shelters not educating people on these dogs and being uneducated themselves, and pushing the wrong dogs on people.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I for one, had NO idea what a pitbull actually was until a few weeks ago. I always heard stories about them, how vicious they were, etc. and pictured this big mean human aggresive dog- boy was i wrong... My mother owns a boarding/grooming shop and i've been clicker training some of the dogs that are there for awhile, and one of them is a pitbull- i was nervous going in to meet her, but she has become my best friend (in a matter of minutes, actually) she's much smaller than i thought and SO sweet, she completely changed my ideas of pitbulls, and i'm much more aware of when the media says its a pitbull, it might not actually be an APBT. Just thought i'd add that.

Also, Its interesting to read all of the stories on that blog about thefatalities, how all of the children were left alone with the dog! it's shocking how the media changes things around for dramatic effect, really disgusting and no wonder people (like I was, sadly) have such wrong opinions on certain breeds of dogs.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is absolutely amazing to me that some people simply do not have any shred of common sense at all. What is the thought process that allows a parent to walk away and leave their infant or toddler in a room with large dogs unsupervised? Why would anyone ever think that would be an alright thing to do?

The case that bothers me the most is the one of the little boy in Florida who was killed by the family dog while his mother slept on the same bed next to him. I would like to know what substances the mother was under the influence of to have slept through her baby being attacked by a dog!
Absolutely.. I recently put up a rant about this. People do not view their dogs as ANIMALS, animals who will eat your baby and not have regret or sorrow. They trust their dogs to the point of foolishness. WHO leaves a newborn, just a few days old, human baby alone with a DOG?

My own idiotic neighbors let their 3yo go into the backyard, alone, with their three mutts who are not even socialized with the family..

Yeah, either the dog bit the baby's head one good time so he didn't make sound or smothered him or she was under some heavy influence.. Just kills me to think of these kids who died because their parents are morons.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I for one, had NO idea what a pitbull actually was until a few weeks ago. I always heard stories about them, how vicious they were, etc. and pictured this big mean human aggresive dog- boy was i wrong... My mother owns a boarding/grooming shop and i've been clicker training some of the dogs that are there for awhile, and one of them is a pitbull- i was nervous going in to meet her, but she has become my best friend (in a matter of minutes, actually) she's much smaller than i thought and SO sweet, she completely changed my ideas of pitbulls, and i'm much more aware of when the media says its a pitbull, it might not actually be an APBT. Just thought i'd add that.

Also, Its interesting to read all of the stories on that blog about thefatalities, how all of the children were left alone with the dog! it's shocking how the media changes things around for dramatic effect, really disgusting and no wonder people (like I was, sadly) have such wrong opinions on certain breeds of dogs.
Yep, most people picture American Bullies when they hear 'Pit Bull', big, heavy, muscle-bound brutes wearing spiked collars.. Google 'Blue Pit Bull' and 99% will be American Bullies or Amstaff mixes.. Real APBTs range from -20lbs to 60+ (not usual, that's big for an APBT).

I'm glad that little girl changed your mind.

KC dog Blog has some interesting stories for sure. They are biased FOR pit dogs, but try to read around that..

1 - 20 of 58 Posts