German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
Atlantic city has a long history of K-9 dogs....I did decoy work for them in the 80's and 90's under K-9 trainer Dennis Mc Sweeny. I still take my dogs over there touse their obstacle course. Contgratulations to 'Duece"....the Czech dogs as a whole are still the closest thing to the complete Gs I remember from the 70's.JMO

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for sharing this info

I love the Czech breed, I am so happy with my Czech.

I noticed from the small amount of vids out there on Czechs, it seems like the NY area seems to utilize the Czech, more so then other areas.

I think on K-9 cops (tv show), alot of the St. Paul police dogs are Czechs.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
You know....people from the show camps I'm sure, get tired of me talking about the dogs of the seventies and what the German Shepherd temperament should be. The above video is an excellent example of what the German Shepherd should and used to be routinely. This was the type of dog that the military, Rin Tin Tin, seeing eye people, police, and just plain family people came to know and love!! Does that dog look like a dog that has drives that are unmanageable?????, does that dog look like a dog that isn't safe for children and family???, does that dog look like a dog that can't coexist with another dog??????, Yet this is a police dog people!!!! Are you getting the picture?? This is not a dog with a worried look in his eyes, this is not a dog that is so hyper he can't live in a house, he's not a dog that will bite indiscrimately, he is what the good Capt. envisioned and hoped his breed would remain. That dog is beautiful!!!; where it is most important, and that's on the inside. This type of dog is more important than hips, color, sidegait, or certifications....why? because in the quest for perfecting the above we no longer produce German Shepherds like the one in the video.....and that's what a real "reputable" breeder breeds for, a dog that exemplifies what the BREED should be.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
PS....The above temperament is the most important aspect of the breed and what all reputable breeders should have as the highest priority. Where we have gone wrong in the past 40 years is that in the past, breeders bred for this temperament primarily, recognizing that some pups in litter would have better conformation (and maybe even be show quality), and some pups would be stronger than others , bigger than others, sharper than others, maybe an ear down or hip that was bad......but that the whole litter would be trainable and good overall dogs. Today people put color, hips, size, sidegait, pigment, as much more important than temperament,(Oh they say they value temperament, but let an OFA excellent with shyness come along, let a rich black and red with weak temperament come along, let a dog with shoulder and weak temperament come along, and people run to all of them), breeding for uniformity of "their" personal preference instead of the good of the breed in retaining the utility of the dog. This is how we got to where we are today...and I personlly think these kind of breeders are much worse for the breed than BYB. Much Worse!! Why...because they reach a larger audience and they give people the impression that these weak or hyper animals are what the normal breed should be. One last thing...that dog in the video is not what it is because of training, ****, they can go to any show kennel(American or German) and get a dog, but then it must PASS a 16 week school that will wash you out if you don't have true GS temperament. Why do you you think so many of LE resort to Czech dogs instead of these other types(and it isn't money because their are always showline dogs that have small faults that decrease their value because they are not show quality but would not affect their ability to be police dog), these other types that I mentioned will not pass the 16 week course....I know as I have seen many many dogs "washed out" because of nerve, environmental, lack of courage,etc. We need to wake up as breeders and get our priorites right because we don't walk the talk anylonger in show kennels.!!!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Nice, NICE temperament! Can play ball in the front yard with kids or a neighbor's dog, lounge bonelessly on the sofa, then nab the bad guy. Deuce deserves the Hero Award! How nice to see not only nice nerves but also seemingly balanced drives in a stable, clear-headed dog!

What I love most about my Czech boy is how he just assumes that he is allowed an open policy with anyone he meets. No tension, no anxiety, no sharpness-- just socially open, fearless friendliness. The joy he takes in working with/for me is a delight. Plus that wonderful ability to settle after working! "Czech" is a nice flavor!

Thank you for sharing this, Jack!

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good write up Cliff,

Patti, the pup in the vid reminded me of Grimm right off the bat.

What Cliff mentions, and what the officer mentions, I can see it in Loki.

I know all dogs, people, personalities are different, however all of what is said I see so much in Loki. Maybe because I am more experienced in my training, then with my first GSD, Jasper.

Everyone had some really nice posts, and you learn from them, and in the video.

I remember back talking to the guy at the schutzund club, and how he put the Czech line down

I love all GSD's, they all are good at something, no matter what line they are from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts