German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
...vomiting and diarrhea - parvo? blockage?

Bailey threw up twice during mid-morning (10-11 am) yesterday but he was still behaving normally, running after his ball and all that.

I just thought it was because of the heat (it got up to 26C here), so I gave him some shade and put ice in his water. His stomach had also bubbled/gurgled (gas?) so I gave him a little stomach massage. I didn't hear it after that, he was fine the whole day; solid stools, wagging tail, happy playful puppy. So I thought he was fine.

I woke up this morning to my mum telling me that Bailey is sick (vomiting and diarrhea all night) and that she's been on the phone with the E-vet all morning. They told her that we shouldn't need to come in ASAP but our vet has a 6 pm appointment that we should take him to.

When I came downstairs, he was behaving the exact same, jumping on me (he's not usually allowed to), trying to lick my face, paws up, tail wagging, his normal bouncy, happy self. I can tell he's hungry and really tired but until 6, I have no idea what to do. He's now sleeping.

I've given him water but not food - but I'm not sure if it's safe to starve a puppy. I believe that if I gave him his meals, he would scoff them up, but I wouldn't want it to cause any more problems. Is there anything I should do or try to make him feel better? I've heard plain boiled chicken, rice, and pumpkin are good. And activated charcoal?

Also, from what I've mentioned, is there a way to tell what could be wrong with him? I feel like there could be so many things. He's eaten socks before and loves soft toys, so it could be a blockage. He's fully vaccinated but there is the risk of parvovirus. My mum thinks it's gastroenteritis, and to be honest, I'm hoping it's just that

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

Our vet had space for 10:40 am, which we were given. He had thrown up twice before then and then once again when they were in the car - making a total of five times before 12pm. The vet said that they tried to touch the side of his abdomen, but it was "too tender" and he didn't allow them to do it. I'm not sure if that's because he just didn't want them to touch it, as I had touched it and massaged it before I went to a class, just thirty minutes prior.

As of one o'clock, he has been at the vet hospital for a scan, and we haven't had an update aside from that.

He barked a lot as my mum handed him off to the vet. Thanks to covid, we're not allowed to go in with him, so he's by himself. In a hospital he never seen or smelt, with strangers who have seen him twice :/

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Final update:

We have now picked him up. He had an ultrasound scan that showed a large sock (again :() which was thankfully able to be removed from his rectum, so surgery wasn't needed. He's got two types of medicine; Omeprazol and Cerenia. And he should make a full recovery in a few days. He is officially fully banned from the laundry room, and we're going to have to be really careful about where everything goes. I'm not sure what he likes so much about socks 'o'

·
Registered
87 Posts
Glad that Bailey is okay :)

..but be careful with socks.. or any foreign objects really.
I had a friends dog pass recently because of the amount of socks he ate and the numerous surgeries he had to have to get them out. He was only 5.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I'm so glad that's all it was and Bailey's OK.

But honestly if he's "eaten socks before" why has he even seen one off a foot again???
Socks go in a drawer or in a closed laundry hamper or in a laundry basket off the floor or in a laundry machine or in a dryer and back into a drawer. Not on the floor (dirty) and not on the bed "clean".
Ever, in your case.....

It's life altering stuff, be vigilant about it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Great news that your pup is going to be okay! 😊

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
He is officially fully banned from the laundry room, and we're going to have to be really careful about where everything goes
I am glad your pup is fine and now.....
Puppies do not get to be unsupervised! EVER! You would not allow a two year old child to be roaming about the house, and puppies follow the same rules. What if he decides that instead of socks he would like to chew on a plastic bottle? Full of drain cleaner?
Pay attention to your dog!

·
Registered
Bailey - 27/01/2021
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, everyone. We do try to watch him as best as we can. He doesn't roam our house - he's only allowed on the first floor and garden, and someone is always with him or in the room next to him. I'm honestly not sure how he got this one, but yeah, we'll need to be much more careful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts