German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my male Purebred GSD
One minute he is a good listener , obedient, than he is so defiant today he looked straight at me and urinated while looking right at me.
Have tons of questions would appreciate any, all help

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
If you just picked him up, he is most likely frightened and confused. At that age, he has formed bonds with others and is trying to figure out how to find his way home. He is a baby dog and doesn't comprehend our human world.

Looking at you and urinating is most likely fear and submission. Why do you think it is defiance?

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
He is 5 months old.
An infant.
There is no such thing as a defiant infant.
This is submissive nervousness.
Where did he come from, what was the situation where you got him, and what have you done since you brought him home, how have you introduced him to his new surroundings?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Picked him up from breeder on 11/8/19- well known breeder very good reputation, a friend has one of his dogs. He was kept in a heated barn on a farm, mostly with other dogs and a couple of handlers.
This dog is so smart he learned to giggle and ring bells on the door in 1 day.
He has taken to his basic training well, we are working on that 2 times a day, and we start our day with a 1/2 mile walk on the leash.
I understand he is trying to get his bearings, figure out what, and where he is now.
I am being consistent with our routine, showing him at least 1 new thing a day, an object , something outside, and toys.
As I said before I would love to utilize everyone’s knowledge to assist me in allowing JD to become his best!
All information is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well now you know this breeder did not teach any potty training. He was kept in a kennel situation and could relieve
himself at will.

Start by taking him out every 2 hours and praise, praise when he goes. Go to same area everytime so he learns.

Your puppy is a blank slate, probably knows very little and is ripe for any and all training/enrichment.

Sounds like you could benefit from reading some puppy training booklets. Amazon has loads of them.

It's great that he's smart and obedient (at times), that's a great start to having a mannerly good citizen.

·
Registered
30,921 Posts
Picked up my male Purebred GSD
One minute he is a good listener , obedient, than he is so defiant today he looked straight at me and urinated while looking right at me.
Have tons of questions would appreciate any, all help
He just doesn't understand. He's not defiant. You haven't taught him anything yet and they don't come out of their momma knowing how to do anything other than be a dog.

He's obviously not housebroken. So what did you do while he was peeing right in front of you? You should have made a loud noise to startle him so he stopped and taken him outside. Once he peed outside, you should have rewarded and praised him.

Don't be angry with him. Don't think he's defiant. He just doesn't know and at his age he doesn't have the bladder capacity or control to hold it for long. So my guess is you probably didn't take him out on a regular schedule?

Until I see a consistent indication of them going to the door I take them out

1. Right after eating or drinking.
2. About 10-15 minutes into play. They start playing and it activates their need to go. But they are playing so they will do things like suddenly stop and pee in front of you.
3. Roughly every 2 -3 hours when I'm home.
4. REWARD and PLAY with him when he goes outside. Make sure he understands he did right!

If this behavior continues and you have a hard time housebreaking him, then take him to the vet with a urine sample for a UTI. Puppies often get them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts