German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I'm completely new to this forum, but am in dire need of help! My GSD is 20 mths old, male and unneutered (well, partially - he had 1 of his testicles removed as it did not drop, so he only has 1 testicle left). He's so calm and gentle with kids, people in general and larger dogs don't seem to bother him. We do not do dog parks b/c he had a bit of a bad experience when he was approx 7/8 mths old, so we avoid dog parks. He has 2 larger breed dog friends (a Bernedoodle and a Chocolate Lab) who he is very friendly with, and no issues. But every time he sees a small dog, the hair on his back raises and he aggressively barks at them. Similarly, if he is in the house, or car, and sees dogs and/or people even, his hair on his back raises and starts non-stop barking (even shaking the whole car).
He has gone through K9 training successfully, is very obedient in the house and when I'm walking him, does well with being in the heel position until I release him. He has also gone through 2 rounds of puppy training at a local PetSmart (with a trainer who specialized in GSD's). Even during the PetSmart training, we had to ensure control over whenever he would start barking at the little dogs.
I should also mention this behavior only started getting worse in the last 4-6 months, and should also tell you that we've moved twice in that time frame, so not sure if the lack of home stability has anything to do with it. He is now situated permanently in our current home, but the behavior still remains.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Get a trainer who is GSD-smart not Petsmart. He needs more leadership as he seems like he is ruling the when he gets the chance. I don't know of any way how you train a formidable dog like an adolescent GSD like yours in a pet store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Between the ages 6-9 mths, he completed 12 weeks of K9 training where they train mostly working dogs and police dogs. Due to that training he is so well behaved when given direction and commands. He doesn't bark when people come inside the house, nor does he jump up on people either. It's only when he is looking out the front door, or in the car, or when he sees a small dog.
Agree that PetSmart would not provide the type of training a GSD requires - we put him in PetSmart training after the K9 training simply as a way to continue socialization amongst the smaller breed dogs, not for commands.

Get a trainer who is GSD-smart not Petsmart. He needs more leadership as he seems like he is ruling the when he gets the chance. I don't know of any way how you train a formidable dog like an adolescent GSD like yours in a pet store.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the welcome. K9 training in terms of large breed working and police dogs (but not police dog training specific). He did so well in that course and is still very good with all the commands he learned from that training.

As I mentioned in my post - I'm not entirely sure, but I feel as though the instability of moving (from Canada to the US) and 2 'temporary' residences within the time span of the last 4 months has been unsettling for him, so perhaps it's that that is causing him to feel unsafe or maybe insecure? I'm not sure.

Welcome to the forum! What do you mean when you say K9 training?

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Maybe the folks he did the K9 training with could help you with this? Have you contacted them to see, or was that back in Canada?

If so, or if they can't, if you post your city or general location maybe someone on the forum could recommend a good trainer near you who could.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts