German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We ate and began watching a movie. I took Layla out to go to the bathroom. Unfortunately, she saw a cat. That is another post -- her prey drive is almost over the top.

I bring her back in, and clearly all she can think about is the cat. I wasn't in the mood to work to distract her (and what would i have used? a squirrel?), and I told her to lie down next to me.

There began the battle between the adult and the teenager (8 mos old). I have never had this experience with her. By the time it was over, I was sweating. She kept getting up. I kept putting her down and telling her to stay, sometimes physically, because half the time when I told her "down" she would look away and/or try to get away. At one point she decided to grab my arm with her mouth to get me off of her. Down she went.

When I'd get her down and she felt like she had to stay there, she began screaming like she hasn't screamed since she was 3 - 4 months old! She'd look at my husband, then look over at my mother for help. I had to say, "No one look at her." Then she'd start the army crawl.

I don't know how anyone else stood it. By the time it was over, it was only because she had exhausted herself. She finally fell asleep. Later in the evening, she was very cuddly with me, right by my side lying down on her own.

I asked, "What happened in the movie?"

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Been there. Jax has those meltdown's also. They are interesting to say the least. So, my last lesson with the trainer was about proofing the stay. Remind me and I'll write down everything for you once Christmas is over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts