German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! 2 more weeks until we bring our puppy home! To prepare for our little guy I have used a system where each week since we were told he was born I have bought something else we will need for him. This week I am buying a crate with a divider but, in order to get that free 2 day shipping from Chewy.com I need $10 more in my cart. So I decided I'd buy a leash or 2. One I have is a drag leash and while looking I saw the 20 foot and longer leashes. I was wondering what everyone uses their 20 foot leashes for. I know sometimes it is used for recall training but, I have no experience in that. Our past dogs never ended up needing that training. They never left far from our side and if they happened to stray a little too far they have always been very obedient. Hopefully this guy is no different, but I was just wondering what different types of uses you all get out of these 20 foot or longer leashes; or how you did go about training with it?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I have a long leash for recall training...that's the only thing I use it for. If I didn't have a fenced yard, maybe I'd use it to let the dog wander around looking for a potty spot.

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
I have a 30 ft leash that I use occasionally for sport training but to be honest, the handiest leash I've used besides a selection of 6 ft leashes is our 15 ft. It is a good length to give my dog a bit more freedom of movement without being a mess! I use it attached to a harness when I need to keep my dog on leash but want to give them the freedom to explore, or when we are working scent trailing. For other sports like IPO tracking, they require 30 ft.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
Sabi had a 6' and a 15' that I used at work. Shadow has a 25' that I use to let her play since she cannot be off leash totally. I used a 20' foot for Bud when he was tracking.
With a puppy I would spend the money on toys since you will probably go through a few leashes before you settle on what you like. A lot of long lines are going to be heavy for a pup, and if you are competing there are various rules to be followed.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sabi had a 6' and a 15' that I used at work. Shadow has a 25' that I use to let her play since she cannot be off leash totally. I used a 20' foot for Bud when he was tracking.
With a puppy I would spend the money on toys since you will probably go through a few leashes before you settle on what you like. A lot of long lines are going to be heavy for a pup, and if you are competing there are various rules to be followed.
It's so interesting how each dog suits a different leash. I've seen a whole thread on people discussing all their leash preferences. I think I'll take your advice on toys. I can always wait and get the leash months from now when I order dog food for him. I have a couple leashes from my German Shepherd mix that passed a few months ago as well. We also still have plenty of his toys left over but, until our puppy is caught up on all of his vaccines we won't be giving them to him. Just in case.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 30 ft leash that I use occasionally for sport training but to be honest, the handiest leash I've used besides a selection of 6 ft leashes is our 15 ft. It is a good length to give my dog a bit more freedom of movement without being a mess! I use it attached to a harness when I need to keep my dog on leash but want to give them the freedom to explore, or when we are working scent trailing. For other sports like IPO tracking, they require 30 ft.
The freedom in the future is part of the reason I considered getting the leash, its only $10 too. Where I live there are canals next to my home and all around our street and neighborhood. We have ducks, geese, and plenty of other animals all over the place. I'm not going to be letting him wander in these areas until he is caught up on vaccines, but in the future there are a lot of scents to catch his attention.

Also, you commented on my other post haha. We are going to be going with the Beaverdam dog food that you suggested.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a long leash for recall training...that's the only thing I use it for. If I didn't have a fenced yard, maybe I'd use it to let the dog wander around looking for a potty spot.
Seems like I'll be in the same situation as you. I think from everyone's advice I'll wait for this and just buy him some more toys. I'm sure he will thank you all later haha.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
You wouldn't be using a long leash in the very near future, really. Unless to let him wander in an unfenced yard? The black thin cloth ones are very light and would be fine for a pup.

For 10 bucks, it you don't have them yet, I'd maybe see what puppy tugs they have?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use my 15 and 30 foot leashes for doggy freedom in places they cannot legally be off leash, like in a park. That way they can still chase a ball, explore, smell, play, etc. while I still abide by the laws. None of my dogs ever actually need the leash. They are perfect when it comes to staying by me and coming when called, as well as walking in a heel off leash. It's strictly so I don't get a ticket!

·
Super Moderator
5,678 Posts
I use my 15 and 30 foot leashes for doggy freedom in places they cannot legally be off leash, like in a park. That way they can still chase a ball, explore, smell, play, etc. while I still abide by the laws. None of my dogs ever actually need the leash. They are perfect when it comes to staying by me and coming when called, as well as walking in a heel off leash. It's strictly so I don't get a ticket!
Same here! My favorite is the 15 foot one, but I've used both at the park.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
I use like long leashes for place and distance training. I have used one as a back tie to keep the dog from creeping toward me when doing a distance place and a second long line to direct to a place box. I have both 20’ and 30’. 2 20s and 1 30. The back tie is a 20’ looped a few times around a tree when I’m using it, so it’s more like 15’ of working length. I didn’t use any of them with a young puppy.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I have a 30 foot orange biothane leash with a brass clip. The bright orange means dog rangers, and everyone else, can see my dog is on a leash from a distance. It's easy to find when dropped in a large field. I've accidentally stood on a dark coloured long line and released my dog to 'go sniff', I ended up landing hard on slippery concrete when my dog took off to go sniff. The bright orange makes it easier for me to avoid standing on the leash.

Biothane doesn't asborb water or dirt, and it's comfortable on my hands. I've knotted my long line every 18 inches or so, as when it's wet it's slippery and hard to grip. Nylon long lines end up heavy from absorbing dew, rain and muddy puddles. Having a good quality clip, one that is heavy duty and wont rust, is important.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I definitely don't intend on using it on him while he is a small puppy! I'm trying to consider things I will use in the future now too :) I now have everything I need for him besides getting his food next week. I definitely want to look into all the different uses of the longer leashes though! It's so interesting how everyone can have a different use for it.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I have a 30 foot orange biothane leash with a brass clip. The bright orange means dog rangers, and everyone else, can see my dog is on a leash from a distance. It's easy to find when dropped in a large field.
I have the same kind of leash, and I love it! Since my dog is half-husky, he is never supposed to be allowed offleash...all the husky people say so...so this is our compromise! I love that I can easily see the bright orange if I drop it in the grass (although I do try to hang on). Tying the knots is a good idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts