German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 yr old male, and he's starting having accidents in the house again. He's been house broken for quite some time, and we have no idea why he's started doing this. He's always been good about letting us know when he needs to go out, and will go to the door. He used to paw at the door jam when he had to go out, now he paws/scratches at the door (which we'd rather he didn't do, but thats a different topic). Anyways, it's not even right at the door that he's having the accidents, so it's not like he's waiting at the door and we don't notice. And it's mostly pooping that he's doing. But today he went and peed where he pooped inside last time. We have the cleaners for pets that get rid of the enzymes, but he's still going to the same area (my livingroom rug). And no, he doesn't have diarrhea or anything.

Any suggestions????

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Any time a formerly housebroken dog starts having accidents in the house, your first reaction should be a trip to the vet to rule out any medical issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I guess we'll have to do that.

I should have mentioned too, that it's usually at night, or when we're not home. He's only been allowed out of his crate at night and when we go out for a few months now. And we make sure he goes out first. If it's not medical, how do we get him to stop having accidents at night or when we're not home? I'm home during the day, so he never has to go all day without going outside. So if it's just that hes not used to being out of his crate and not being able to go outside for that long, how do we get him to that point?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I agree, I'd have him checked out too. Do you feed him on a regular feeding schedule? That way you'll know how long after he eats that he has to poop.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Also, have there been any changes in the household recently? New people or pets moving in or out? Changes to your schedule? Also are they firm and well-formed poops, or are they soft and kind of pudding-ish, or liquid?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts