German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2 yr old Male GSD and have had him since he was 7 weeks old. I don't know how to say it any other way except to say he is out of control. His level of anxiety is thru the roof! When he is inside he paces NON STOP or runs up and down the stairs in the house. He cannot relax. This has been going on for quite a while. We have had a professional trainer working with him over the past month because it has gotten so bad however things are not changing. It has gotten to the point to where we cannot even enjoy him in the house anymore but continue to try to push through in the evenings trying to get him to settle. He has MAJOR separation anxiety when away from my husband and will race through the house trying to get to my husband outside while barking nonstop. I am desperate at this point and at a loss on what to do next.We have a 2 yr old Male GSD and have had him since he was 7 weeks old. I don't know how to say it any other way except to say he is out of control. His level of anxiety is thru the roof! When he is inside he paces NON STOP or runs up and down the stairs in the house. He cannot relax. This has been going on for quite a while. We have had a professional trainer working with him over the past month because it has gotten so bad however things are not changing. It has gotten to the point to where we cannot even enjoy him in the house anymore but continue to try to push through in the evenings trying to get him to settle. He has MAJOR separation anxiety when away from my husband and will race through the house trying to get to my husband outside while barking nonstop. I am desperate at this point and at a loss on what to do next.

·
Registered
857 Posts
We have a 2 yr old Male GSD and have had him since he was 7 weeks old. I don't know how to say it any other way except to say he is out of control. His level of anxiety is thru the roof! When he is inside he paces NON STOP or runs up and down the stairs in the house. He cannot relax. This has been going on for quite a while. We have had a professional trainer working with him over the past month because it has gotten so bad however things are not changing. It has gotten to the point to where we cannot even enjoy him in the house anymore but continue to try to push through in the evenings trying to get him to settle. He has MAJOR separation anxiety when away from my husband and will race through the house trying to get to my husband outside while barking nonstop. I am desperate at this point and at a loss on what to do next.We have a 2 yr old Male GSD and have had him since he was 7 weeks old. I don't know how to say it any other way except to say he is out of control. His level of anxiety is thru the roof! When he is inside he paces NON STOP or runs up and down the stairs in the house. He cannot relax. This has been going on for quite a while. We have had a professional trainer working with him over the past month because it has gotten so bad however things are not changing. It has gotten to the point to where we cannot even enjoy him in the house anymore but continue to try to push through in the evenings trying to get him to settle. He has MAJOR separation anxiety when away from my husband and will race through the house trying to get to my husband outside while barking nonstop. I am desperate at this point and at a loss on what to do next.
Does he get exercised? Walked? Training? Play time? Mental stimulation? A tired dog is a happy/calm dog. A walk is not a walk down the street to let it do its business. A walk is a several miles walk. You can sign him up for herding classes. If you're near water, take him swimming. Hiking. Agility classes. Schutzhund. Get a Chuck It and throw the ball 40 to 50 yards. I used to do that for 20 mins every single day. I'd switch it up with 30 mins of frisbee catching every other day. My high energy dog was calm every night because his energy was drained. Another thing...do you crate him? That could help. My dog learned that crate time is quiet time and time for him to take a nap. Without knowing more, all we can do is make general suggestions.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yeah--folks are going to have a lot of questions about the dogs' and his peoples daily routine...does he spend a lot of time alone during the day...alone...in a fence...in a crate....loose in the house....are both of you gone all day ?....they must have interaction with their people and activities that make them use their bodies and minds...on a regular daily basis OR depending on the dog and it's breeding they'll go stir crazy....unlike some breeds they're not happy to simply lay around....they need routine activities with their person....Even if both of you work... you MUST set aside time daily for you and your dog

1 - 3 of 3 Posts