German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Definitely call your primary care physician's office, speak with his or her nurse, and ask her to call you back with guidance later today.

I would buy a box of disposable latex gloves at Costco or Sams to use instead of reusable rubber gloves. Practice removing gloves with a clean pair (pinch up near the wrist and then pulling so that they fold inside out as you pull them off), have a plastic bag at the ready to put them in, knot the top of the bag, and put it in the trash outside.

A can of old-fashioned Lysol spray or the newer, excellent Seventh Generation version of it is also worth having at the ready -- I keep a can by the door to spray the soles of my shoes when I come in from a yard where an infectious dog has been, and leave the shoes by the door for the spray to dry (this was something I learned from the rescue's vet clinic to avoid tracking germs in). Using 10% bleach solution is smart, but it ideally should be mixed up fresh before use and not stored for days at a time in a spray bottle. Pottying the pup on concrete will make it easier to disinfect with bleach.

Ask the vet whether veterinary chlorhexidene shampoo and wipes are appropriate to keep the pup clean and knock down any lepto clinging to it from urine splash-back -- I like the veterinary chlorhex shampoo because it's formulated for very frequent bathing (weekly or even 2x weekly) without drying out the skin and coat. We use it on dogs that are shedding staph bacteria to help reduce the chance of human transmission, so my instinct would be to use it on a dog with anything infectious -- but the vet will know if it's okay to do that. You can find it on Amazon, or buy it from the clinic if it's recommended.
Thank you, we have an appointment this afternoon for some more tests and fluids to make sure he will be OK this weekend, I will ask them. I believe they will also inform of the severity of the infection and the strains? Thanks again.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
I have a fb friend who had two of her SAR dogs get lepto...one died, the other recovered with success from her holistic vet treatment. I remember they used coffee enemas which I thought was totally out there, but must have had some value. If you want to get in touch with her, let me know and I'll give you her fb profile name.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Thank you. That's awesome that your pup recovered. Were her symptoms really bad? We recently learned of Dr. Harvey's. Our pup is one super picky dog and we need him to start eating more. He used to eat so fast we had to get one of those bowls that looks like it had crop circles in it so slow him down, the girl who watched him while boarding used to laugh at how anxious he was to eat. Now he just sniffs the food he used to love and walks away. I have heard that Harvey's is really good, but we worry about when he is boarded. We always board with his vet since they give him lots of attention and he basically grew up with them, but I am not sure how they will handle feedings like that when there are many steps.
You could make up the Dr Harvey's mix ahead and freeze it. I have been using it to stuff Kongs since putting her on regular food. By the time I took her in, she was pretty normal. Her fever, vomiting and soreness was intermittent. She inhales her food and never completely quit while sick. I got my Dr Harvey's base mix from. Company in Colorado so, being in Kansas, it didn't take long. I liked it better than the Science Diet KD. I could control her proteins myself. They no longer recommend lower protein levels for dog stamps with renal issues. But to try to get a low a phosphorus level. So the ground meats nuked were perfect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the replies. We met with the vet last night while he was getting his fluids and they were very pleased with his progress. He is on day 5 of Amoxicillin, and it seems like he is responding well. His energy levels were back and looked like he was feeling much better. His appetite was back too, looking anywhere that we normally have food set aside for him, like in his Kongs. His HR was good, temp good, BUN # almost normal, I think off by .1, and Creatinine levels of 1.9, not sure if that is really high, but I would like to find some sort of holistic options to help with kidney health, in general, moving forward. The tech said he was the first dog they had with Lepto that didn't require hospitalization. So, we feel VERY lucky, thank God. He has had three rounds of fluids administered subcutaneously, including last night's, and overall, it just seems like he's feeling better. He actually looks happier in his pic from yesterday. lol Thanks again for the input, we will post updates.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Glad to hear he is doing better, he is handsome! :) Did they ever tell you what strain of Lepto he has? This has got me thinking whether I need to vaccinate my dogs if I'm honest!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank you. :) I don’t know the exact strain but my wife is going to look on the paperwork Monday. Whichever one it was the vet said it would have been covered by the vaccine we normally got. I believe it is Lepto4. Possibly made by Merck. It makes us sick that he fell through the cracks. But after hearing so many people decline that vaccine and talking with a good friend who is a vet tech it makes me wonder about some of these vaccines. We will likely vaccinate him just because of what we are going through and went through the past week. But we are definitely going to look into a more holistic support system with probiotics, digestive enzymes and other things that would strengthen his immune system.

As a side note, one thing that stood out to me is that the vet specially said that he was exposed to the bacteria, likely many times. I am not sure how they can know that but she was referencing his lab work data possibly the presence and amount of antibodies? Another thing is that about two weeks prior to him contracting the infection, we took him into the emergency vet clinic. He had a very painful injury. He slid down the stairs roughhousing, his legs were behind him as he slid and they think he strained his iliopsoas. They gave him two meds, one a muscle relaxer and the other an anti-inflammatory. One of the meds is commonly used in immunosuppressive therapies. I did talk with someone in that field after I asked about it and they did confirm that the med he was on would definitely lower his immune system, and from what I read, the other as well. So, in terms of what role the meds had or him not having the vaccine is unknown. But the fact that he was given meds that actually have intentional uses to lower the immune system response is a concern. It's the exact opposite of what we would want given that our unvaccinated dog has regular exposure to leptospirosis and had been exposed for years. Coincidence? Maybe, but interesting.

Another thing that the vet and tech mentioned and stressed to us, is that he was the first dog they had come through with actual Lepto that did not require hospitalization. He didn't "act" like a sick dog. They both mentioned it a couple of times. Is that because he was already fighting it and only in the brief time that he had his immune system compromised, did the infection take hold? Again, just thinking, but makes me wonder. That being said, he is getting the vaccine as soon as we can get it. There are lots of cases popping up here in northern Indiana and southern Michigan, and we just don't want to take any chances. Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello all, I just wanted to post the latest update. We are through the round of Amoxicillin. He is responding well, in terms of his kidney values coming back down. As I mentioned he was at 1.9 last Friday and as of Tuesday, he was 1.6. The vet said 1.4 is normal. Now we start the round of Doxycycline. From what I am told Amox is the first step, but Doxy is the final cleaning up phase that pretty much eradicates it from the kidneys completely.

He seems to be doing well although his appetite is GONE. We have gone through food after food looking up suggestions on these forums and threads and nothing is working. He is also terrible about taking pills, so what has been working best was me opening his mouth and my wife dropping it down his throat. LOL He fights a little but fought at lost more at the beginning. Now he just looks slightly annoyed but is more gentle about taking it. I think he is figuring out that it's not going to hurt and we are definitely not trying to hurt him. But, now the round of Doxy is 10 days of two pills every 12 hours. SO, now we have to figure out how to do it. As a precaution, our doctors also put us on 100 mg of Doxy since we were in contact with his urine quite a bit during his infectious stage. They are tiny though, almost like baby aspirin. Not sure why they give what looks like horse pills for our dog and baby aspirin size for us.

The next step is finding a food he will like. We are considering Honest Kitchen. We may order a sample because we have heard that it goes over well with super picky eaters and is pretty healthy. It's about what we currently pay per lb now anyway but looks like actual food. I would love to do raw, but it just wouldn't work with our lifestyle, given that he boards on occasion and it would be easy to cross-contaminate in our household. Honest Kitchen looks like a reasonable option.

Long term fix, we are meeting with a holistic vet that will help us with overall wellness and strengthening his immune system. We did get some kidney support for him. I believe it is called Renafood, it is a supplement made by Standard Process, it was suggested by the Holistic vet. We have him on a probiotic too, but since he doesn't like pills, we may look for a powder. Anyway, that's where we are now. Thanks, again for the input!

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
When Sage was very ill and wouldn’t eat, she would never turn down goat’s milk or dried lamb lung.

·
Registered
27,228 Posts
All that antibiotic regiment has his gut flora messed up ~his appetite is probably feeling the acid buildup. You can make your own kefir cheap and it has several strains of probi's. My dog had no appetite and I would sometimes kick start it with a ginger cookie. He loved green tripe and that was a staple of his diet, easily digested and has some good enzymes to help the gut. Sometimes a bit of cooked scrambled egg, grilled chicken and pork is appetizing.
If you can get answers products, their goats milk and bone broths are great. Or you can make your own bone broth.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Have you tried the A/D urgent care perscription food? It's for this exact problem, ill dogs who have lost their appetite. It smells like cat food and most dogs go nuts for it. I have used it on a bunch of critically ill patients and they will often eat that even if they will eat nothing else. It is super digestible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thank you, we will try those things. One thing that was recently suggested by the vet was liverwurst. That actually worked well, that is how we gave him the doxy the past couple days. He loves that stuff, but I know it's not nutritionally balanced so we will keep trying to get him to eat something more balanced too. We have been trying probiotics to balance out the gut flora, but that's just another pill we struggle to get him to take. We will look into the suggestions as well as the A/D food until he is back to normal. I am going to ask about the A/D urgent care in the morning. We did pick up goat's milk, so we will see how that goes too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Also if you are giving the doxycycline make sure it is with a full meal! Doxy is a very appropriate medication for your guys issue, but it is an antibiotic known in the veterinary field to cause pretty bad gastric upset and can make some dogs go off food entirely if fed alone. Giving with food can help alleviate the GI signs without affecting the absorption.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thank you, the goat's milk suggestion worked great. I was able to locate powdered goats milk made by Honest Kitchen. I made 8oz of it and he slurped it up, looking for any extra in the crease of his bowl. It must have coated his stomach because he was able to eat his first full bowl of food in a week about an hour after he drank the milk. I am not sure how much he can have in a day, but I will try breaking it up and giving him 4 oz with each of his antibiotic doses just so he can get something down. Aside from last night, the only things he will eat are his peanut butter flavored dog treats, hard-boiled eggs, and liverwurst. What a mix. I plan to pick up some green tripe and kefir today though. Thanks again.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts