German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remi just turned 2 last month and today for the first time ever he peed in the house, right after I brought him in from his morning pee. He went into the bathroom, lifted his leg and peed all over the floor not 15 minutes after coming in from peeing outside.

Could this be marking or something urinary track related? He didn't seem to strain or have issues peeping outside.

·
Registered
30,387 Posts
Well first I would have him checked for a UTI. If that's clear, I would set him up to mark and then light his world up.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well first I would have him checked for a UTI. If that's clear, I would set him up to mark and then light his world up.
Thanks. I will take some pee tomorrow to the vet.

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
On the UTI urine sample - recently vets I have used prefer to get the sample from the dogs themselves.

But yeah, I would suspect UTI. If it's just behavior, catching him in the act and a sharp "No!" has worked for me. (or more precisely with a dog I had that started this)

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I have a 13.5 year old male who has learned not to mark when I am watching, so I can't help.
To be fair I did not raise Bud, and his first year was pretty horrific. I have never had this issue with any other dog and house training is never a problem for me. But clearly there are males who just cannot be broken of this habit.

·
Registered
30,387 Posts
Thanks. I will take some pee tomorrow to the vet.
I would. Seger has not once marked in the house. He's marked in pet stores, in hotel rooms and at a friends house who has an intact male. IF I catch him in the act he gets a pretty personal correction.

But not a single time in our house. So I would suspect a UTI over marking.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would. Seger has not once marked in the house. He's marked in pet stores, in hotel rooms and at a friends house who has an intact male. IF I catch him in the act he gets a pretty personal correction.

But not a single time in our house. So I would suspect a UTI over marking.
I hope so. Can't believe I'm hoping for a medical problem. At least that is easy to treat over a behavior issue. This dog will be the end of me.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Remi just turned 2 last month and today for the first time ever he peed in the house, right after I brought him in from his morning pee. He went into the bathroom, lifted his leg and peed all over the floor not 15 minutes after coming in from peeing outside.

Could this be marking or something urinary track related? He didn't seem to strain or have issues peeping outside.
The bolded is not really something indicative of marking. I would look for a health issue or even the possibility of him having been too distracted outside to finish his business and breaking his housetraining as a result.

·
Registered
245 Posts

The bolded is not really something indicative of marking. I would look for a health issue or even the possibility of him having been too distracted outside to finish his business and breaking his housetraining as a result.
I completely agree. If he peed a lot, he probably wasn't marking. Marking is usually just a splash (gotta save some pee for all the trees at the forest!).

Sometimes I'll have my boy out for half an hour and assume he got his tinkling done but when we go back out maybe 2 hours later, he lets the floodgates open without having touched any of his water since being out. Sometimes birds are flying around the yard...they might steal his favorite sticks if he were to let his guard down for a moment and pee.

Eddie, did you happen to see him pee in the bathroom? If he lifted his leg up high, it's more likely to have been marking. If he didn't lift it up much or at all, he either just forgot to pee while outside and had to go (hey, at least he did it in the right room! Much better than your electronics. He DID use the pee-room (which makes me suspect he just really had to go/wasn't marking)), or he has some urinary infection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts