German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I moved your post to it's own thread, should get the proper attention this way.

The picture you posted is very small (even when you click on it), so hard to tell, but from what I can see, yes, there is hip dysplasia. The ball-shaped ends on the femur look deformed, and don't fit snuggly into the hip sockets.

Unfortunately, HD can crop up in any breeding - even if the parents' hips are good. The genetics for HD are still not well understood. You just got unlucky. :(

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I moved it to Show Those Hips - and that is where we are posting to it. Can you try and attach a larger picture (but no bigger than 800 X 600).

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Can I get some opinions on these hips? 2 year old male. Dad's hips are excellent and mom's are good. I'm not sure what I'm looking at exactly but vet is concerned they are not great. Thanks!
:( If you are planning on using him for breeding, I would suggest sending in the xrays to OFA - then you would know for sure. Also HD can skip generations, so your dog could have gotten it from a grandparent, even great-great grandparent, and further on back. A look on the pedigree will show the hip ratings and that could give you some idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:( If you are planning on using him for breeding, I would suggest sending in the xrays to OFA - then you would know for sure. Also HD can skip generations, so your dog could have gotten it from a grandparent, even great-great grandparent, and further on back. A look on the pedigree will show the hip ratings and that could give you some idea.
That's the frustration. He is imported and every dog in his line 5 generations back shows a good rating or better. Which makes me question if it was done correctly. I know "bad" dogs can come out of good parents if its hiding somewhere, but I've done a lot of research of these lines and I don't see anything negative anywhere.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
That picture is a lot better, and the hips look better than I thought. I'm no expert, I can spot very bad hips, and very good hips, but it gets harder to see the hips that fall in between.

To me, the right hip looks pretty good, the left hip seems loose, and not fully seated, but nothing drastic. They would be worth sending in to OFA and get an official evaluation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts