German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new addition -2 year old who has spent most of her life in a kennel or crated at the trainers. Therefore her genuine house training is not refined. In 3 weeks she has chewed computer cables, reading glasses, stairs,chairs etc. she is a great dog otherwise????... how do we break this bad behavior.. many times the damage is already done when we find it.... therefore it is hard to scold after the fact...SHE ACTS LIKE A PUPPY... is it that she never had the proper training as a pup. She gets a ton of exercise with our 15 month male. Any ideas how to cure this problem... short of giving her back to the trainer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Try giving her lots of toys and don't let her out of your site. Every time she goes for something that is off limits, replace it with something that she is allowed to chew on. Good Luck....

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I would treat her like a puppy. By that I mean constant supervision if she is loose in the house (you can teether her to you with a leash) and in a crate when you cannot supervise.

When she is with you and you catch her trying to chew something she shouldn't, re-direct her with one of her toys. She needs to know what is acceptable to chew and what is not.

I had a terrible chewer, but with time and patients she did grow out of it. The re-directing and praise when she did use one of her toys helped a lot.

Good luck

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
What other kinds of exercise/mental stimulation is she getting? Walks? Daily training sessions? Other outings?

What kind of chew toys do you have for her? Does she like any of them?

The chewing may be related to anxiety. This is a big change for her (after another big change, it sounds like) and this may be how she's taking out her feelings of anxiety.

I agree with ThreeDogs: attach her to you, gate her or crate her when you can't watch her. Interrupt inappropriate chewing (don't punish, just say, Ah, ah!) and replace with appropriate chew toys.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bitter apple sprary is great too! While your working on chewing, get the spray and put it on the things she likes to chew and that you do not want her to chew. Worked great with our dog. You can find it at petstores.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Originally Posted By: ThreeDogsI would treat her like a puppy. By that I mean constant supervision if she is loose in the house (you can teether her to you with a leash) and in a crate when you cannot supervise.

When she is with you and you catch her trying to chew something she shouldn't, re-direct her with one of her toys. She needs to know what is acceptable to chew and what is not.

I had a terrible chewer, but with time and patients she did grow out of it. The re-directing and praise when she did use one of her toys helped a lot.

Good luck
Agree 100 percent this is what I did with my rescue Saint Bernard 11 years ago and worked like a charm.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: panzermomBitter apple sprary is great too! While your working on chewing, get the spray and put it on the things she likes to chew and that you do not want her to chew. Worked great with our dog. You can find it at petstores.
To the OP, if you are going to try this product I would make SURE that she doesn't like it BEFORE you put it on anything in your house. Some dogs either don't mind the taste or actually seem to LIKE it. And putting something that they don't mind or like on things in your house is likely to make the chewing WORSE.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts