my wife, even though I'm her master,
sometimes it gets painful. I play with her but
she loses interest and goes back to the sometimes
aggressive biting.

??

·
Registered
951 Posts
Ok 2 points for making me laugh really loud lol.

I dont know about the grass really, I was always taught that it meant they had upset stomachs when they do that and it will cause vomiting. IDK if thats true so someone else will have to help.

The biting is what is affectionately called the land shark. It can be really aggressive even though to your pup you are just playing. The best you can really hope for is to redirect the biting. They do eventually grow out of it. Also helps to tell them "no skin!" when biting you/redirecting them or some variation there of.

hth.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
At that age, they eat everything ! I would discourage it if she eats too much, or if you treat your lawn with chemicals. Pay attention to her stools to make sure she is not doing this because of digestive distress. If it is just a habit, redirect her to a toy.
As far as the biting , there is lots of info on this forum. It is a stage that most of them go through and thankfully grow out of. Enjoy your fuzzygator !

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Congrats on your new baby! Wouldn't get too much into the 'master' role... more calm leadership in most dog ownership and training now :wub:

I'd keep the grass eating to a minimum, can really end up with upset digestion and you'll pay the price for that on both ends of your pup with the potential clean up.

The biting is NORMAL and your pup wanting their favorite new person to PLAY with them! So until you teach a new way to play, you are in for some pain. Great info in ---> http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/welcome-gsd-faqs-first-time-owner/188549-puppy-biting-hints-tips-heip.html

Plus there are tons of hints and tips on ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums as well as any of the sticky's in the puppy section...

Welcome again and we need pictures!

:)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I also endure more Grim bites than anyone else in the home. :rolleyes: However, I'm his 'handler' and he wants to play with ME... YAY!! This attention to you will be useful later on when training. Toys that lie on the ground aren't nearly as fun as a person who is moving, yelping, etc. You can try to make the toys more interesting (this hasn't worked for me.. he has the attention of a gnat most of the time!) BUT I've found that "gentle" (then reward and PRAISE!) works much easier and faster. He will also rip up any kind of vegetation within his reach. It's all just exploring his new world...which they do with their mouths. It will end sooner than you think, and the attention span to learn new things will increase. Tire that puppy out!! It's the best defense to all of this landsharking. Have patience. Your baby will be a big dog soon. Work the mind as well as the body. They can be physically tired but still mentally bored and amped up. Use this time for short training sessions. I mean SHORT. Like a couple minutes at a time with the highest value treats it takes to get their attention. If your pup doesn't rest well outside of the crate, then use the crate. Let him 'come down' and absorb what he's just explored or learned. They can get over tired... and that's when the 'real' fun begins! I've found that Grim will get just nutty and more aggressive in play if he's too tired. A little nap and he's back to his 'normal' state of play. He's even started to seek out his crate when he's tired instead of just throwing himself down on the floor and whining. Give some hard things for your pup to chew on in the crate and let him 'come down'. Over load, I think, is easy to achieve in a young pup. They do need frequent naps, even if they never seem to stop! It also cuts down on accidents inside the house. Enjoy this goofy growing time. It will be gone before you know it...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a dog that loves to eat grass, always has. But only some kinds of grass...she's picky :)

I've heard that some grass has barbs and that causes dogs to throw up ... that might be where people have associated eating grass with upset stomachs. Personally, my dog has never had a problem eating grass.

·
Registered
207 Posts
What kind of grass do you have? We have St. Augustine and grows a bit like a vine anchored into the ground in spots. Seven has been pulling, ripping and occasionally eating it since she came home. With her it's more like a game though - pulling long vine/stems up.

It's hard to describe if you don't have this type of grass.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 7 of 7 Posts