German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a large male 18 months old german shepherd dog.. I love my dog... I live in a townhouse with a patio.. I have 2 major problems with him ...

1) When i leave him outside in the patio, he barks randomly sometimes and he also barks at some people who walk across the front door... My neighbors are annoyed.. i want to keep my dog in the patio as much as possible but im unable to do that because of his barking.. how can i solve this problem ? I was thinking about barking control collar but my mom thinks its very inhumane..

2) because of above, i have to keep my dog in my room. However, he sheds hair all the timeee... i used furminator but he still sheds all the time.. i have a carpet and its very time consuming to clean his hair everday.. does anyone know a solution to this ? iv been putting bed sheets on the carpet and cleaning them every 2 days.. is there any special dog mats ? that just absorbs all the hair and can be cleaned easily

If these 2 problems are solved ill be soo happy with my dog. Please help. Thanks

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
well I'll start with #2. German SHEDDERS aren't called shedders for nothing, not much you can do about that except a really good diet, and daily brushing.

#1. why not go outside WITH HIM, when he barks or better yet, before he barks work on getting him focused on something else he enjoys, a ball, food, teaching a good "leave it"..

unfortunately there is nothing annoying than living in close quarters to a barking dog.
GSD's don't do well left alone, and maybe he's barking for attention , maybe up his exercise, give him something to gnaw on while he's outside. Work on deprogramming the barking:)

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
German Shepherds are notorious shedders. It's just part of the breed. A good vacuum and regular brushing will keep it under control.

Don't leave your dog alone on the patio. Teach him to "Leave It' when you are out there with him.

Why do have to keep him in your room? Is he not allowed in the rest of the house?

There are bark collars that release a spray rather than a shock. But the best way to teach him not to bark is to train him. He is, after all, still a very young dog.

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
1) When i leave him outside in the patio, he barks randomly sometimes and he also barks at some people who walk across the front door... My neighbors are annoyed.. i want to keep my dog in the patio as much as possible but im unable to do that because of his barking.. how can i solve this problem ? I was thinking about barking control collar but my mom thinks its very inhumane..

2) because of above, i have to keep my dog in my room. However, he sheds hair all the timeee... i used furminator but he still sheds all the time.. i have a carpet and its very time consuming to clean his hair everday.. does anyone know a solution to this ? iv been putting bed sheets on the carpet and cleaning them every 2 days.. is there any special dog mats ? that just absorbs all the hair and can be cleaned easily
LOVE an easy fix that will work 100% immediately! To fix #1, do NOT leave your dog outside unattended on the patio. Bless your neighbors for putting up with that for even one day! So keep him in the house.

Instead, you need to exercise your dog OUTSIDE the house! How are the obedience/training classes going? How many MILES of exercise is your dog getting each week?

The fur thing is harder. Not called German Shedders for nothing. It's a big reason why people that are clean freaks never get GSD's at all, and tend to stick with the dogs with 'hair' rather than fur. Poodles, schnauzers and dogs like that.

A good diet helps. Monthly baths help. Brushing outdoors helps.

But my GSD's are dogs and they shed :(

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The shedding will never stop. You need to take him outside and brush him daily or every other day. This helps a lot. I have two GSDs in the house and I vacuum everyday. It is just something you have to do with this breed. They are worth it though. Teach off of furniture only either his bed or crate or floor so you only have to vacuum floor not furniture daily. My male shepherd gets brushed with an undercoat rake every other day outside and that works wonders. You must have a brushing routine maintenance or the fur will be everywhere like you said. It is just part of owning GSDs. As for the barking you need to take him for daily walks and exercise him that way. These dogs need to be with thier people. What is the purpose of the patio thing? My male is an inside dog and if I leave him outside by himself he will sit on the picnic table and bark at random things or sometime for no reason. We live in the country so the barking is not an issue for us. This is just a behavior that he does. If you are putting him out on the patio by himself he is just barking to be barking. German shepherds do not do well by themselves without thier people or some sort of mental stimulation. They are not dogs that just laze around. He needs exercise or something to do. That is the reasoning for the barking. Teach him a "ENOUGH" command or don't leave him out there or give him something else to do out there. You should not have to use a no bark collar on him. He should just be trained whichever way you decide to deal with the situation. German shepherds are highly intelligent and easily trainable so shock collars/no bark collars are not necessary.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dogs will bark because they are bored. Living life in one room and a patio doesn't sound very exciting to me. How much do you exercise your dog? I would suggest A LOT! Is there some place you can take him where he can safely run loose, chase balls, run with you? As others have suggested, what about classes? There's an old saying: A tired dog is a good dog. It is so true!

As for shedding, hmmmm...brush, brush, brush and vacuum vacuum vacuum.

Is the dog causing tension between you and your mom? Do you think she will ask you to get rid of him if things don't improve?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Vaccum everyday. One room can't possibly take more than 5 minutes and get your dog excerise. It takes commitment to be a dog owner. If you aren't committed to it perhaps placing him with someone who is would be your solution.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i work 9am-5pm.. when i come home i take him to long walks twice.. once at 6pm and other at 11pm.. i also walk him in the morning.. 7am... he is only allowed in my room and patio.. i feel very bad for him.. im trying my best but he gets bored.. i tried looking for someone to adopt him but no luck... someone on this forum contacted me, when i asked him if he i can get a dog rescue contact him to see if he is legit and will be fit for the dog, he never replied back... i tried to contact rescue in my area but they are not accepting any more dogs.. i found this guy on craigslist but he was very sketchy so i didnt gave him the dog... im trying my best in every way possible.. here are the pics..

Rocky pictures by lazybones18 - Photobucket

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
He's a good looking dog. IF he is healthy and has a good temprament he shouldn't be hard to place. Please state the area you are in so folks can spread the word.

·
Registered
537 Posts
We bought a little pet vacuum you hold in your hand. I use it in my bathroom (the hair somehow ends up in there) and on the stairs. It is easier than hauling out the big vacuum every day! The sheet trick is a good idea. After your daily walk, brush him out, that will help too. When I had just one GSD I used a brush mit to brush my dog. It is like petting them and you get a lot of the loose hair off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i contacted local shelters.. they are not taking more dogs or they dont respond.. :( im willing to ship him but i just need to find a good owner.. he is extremely good looking.. everyone in the neighborhood stops and asks where did i get the dog.. ill give it to someone in the neighborhood but they live in townhouses just like mine so no point.. i would like for him to go to a big yard atleast

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
He doesn't necessarily need a big yard. Many GSD's live in apartments, town, small yards. As long as the person is a good owner, can provide references for you to check (especially a vet reference) and will take him for walks or exercise somewhere then he'll be fine. It's more about his quality of life than a big yard. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
My other GSD Nitro used to be a very vocal dog. He just barked 'cause he was happy when he played with me.
Well I used his high prey drive to my advantage. Whenever he started to bark I would stick a tennis ball in his mouth.
He lived with a tennis ball in his mouth after that and whenever he went outside he would automatically grab a ball.
It became habit to grab a ball whenever he exited the house.

With a ball in his mouth he could not bark.

This does take a while for them to learn. Only problem was I spent a small fortune on tennis balls cause when he became angry he grabbed a ball and broke it after awhile...

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I'm with Jax, as long as the potential owner is dedicated he doesn't need a big yard and as Jax said, it's more about the quality of life.

So with that, I wouldn't necessarily write off any of your neighbors who may truly be interested in him. Just make sure you check out references

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Also, contact the rescues again and offer to foster him until he gets adopted. That could really increase his chances of getting into a rescue.

·
Registered
664 Posts
He is beautiful. I would stay away from Craigslist and contact any and all GSD rescues in your region. Can you post him in the Nonurgent Rescue section here? Sorry you are going through this! (What state are you in?)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
i work 9am-5pm.. when i come home i take him to long walks twice.. once at 6pm and other at 11pm.. i also walk him in the morning.. 7am... he is only allowed in my room and patio.. i feel very bad for him.. im trying my best but he gets bored.. i tried looking for someone to adopt him but no luck... someone on this forum contacted me, when i asked him if he i can get a dog rescue contact him to see if he is legit and will be fit for the dog, he never replied back... i tried to contact rescue in my area but they are not accepting any more dogs.. i found this guy on craigslist but he was very sketchy so i didnt gave him the dog... im trying my best in every way possible.. here are the pics..

Rocky pictures by lazybones18 - Photobucket
What you need to do is ask if they can help you place him, but you keep him until he's adopted. They do the legwork of providing you with the resources of getting him a good home with their contract and home checks, and you absorb the costs. Win win for everyone.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1. teach him not to bark.train and socialize. why
do you want to keep your dog outside as much as possible?

2. GSD's shed. vaccum and sweep often.

i have a large male 18 months old german shepherd dog.. I love my dog... I live in a townhouse with a patio.. I have 2 major problems with him ...

If these 2 problems are solved ill be soo happy with my dog. Please help. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts