German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 week old pup Alfie has a terrible habit of biting feet and shoes and biting and pulling clothes. He seems to do it to me the most probably because I wear huge fluffy and baggy dressing gowns around the house a lot but he also does it with Normal shoes and clothes. I've tried lots of ways to stop him like pointing the finger and saying 'NO' , slapping a rolled up newspaper off the ground, giving his collar a small tug away, flicking his nose and giving him something else to play with but nothing seems to stop him biting my feet. It's extremely annoying and his teeth really hurt and it's a horrible habit for a dog to have so I really want to stop him soon. It's almost impossible to just walk him or play with him without him making a dive for my feet.

Any suggestions of how to control this behaviour is greatly appreciated!

-Rebecca:)

·
Registered
369 Posts
I would not have made it through this phase without bully sticks. Had them in every room. Whenever he tried to latch on, I offered him a bully stick. They must taste better than my shoes or pajama pants because he let go. It will be over soon. Have fun.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am going through the EXACT same thing with my almost 12 week old - she just guns for my ankles first thing when she gets up - then settles down and again around 7pm after she has rested. The cuts on my hand are finally healing - ouch!

I too keep a toy or bullystick on me at all times (crazy I know) to re-direct as saying OUCH and NO really loud did nothing at all -- almost excited her more -- sigh. Hoping it goes away soon as its exhausting but hang in there!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Landsharking... it's what puppies do. Follow the tips provided and see which one(s) work best for you. Hang in there and the phase will pass. Believe it or not, you will probably look back at this time fondly. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh! I'm in the same boat! Except its hands for Griz. Its like having a cat-he'll be laying next to me, I'll reach down to rub his ears or give him a pet and RAR!

He doesn't actually bite bite (thankfully, I could go as Frankenstein for Halloween if he did) and he doesn't even put a lot of pressure but those darn needles he has for teeth, even half an ounce of pressure is painful.

I have found that keeping him tired cuts back on the mouthyness. Just basic playing in the yard, short training sessions, ect-nothing too exciting since I don't want to stress his joints but enough to keep his brain engaged.

Though lately he's jumping up more...which I thought we had down pat that was a no-no. *sigh*

Silly puppies.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm still going through this with Thor who is now 4 and a half months now. Admittedly it's much less intense than it was, and as he's getting older, things are just starting to click with him better.

What I found has worked is giving him enough exercise, because he's less likely to mouth in the first place, and not nearly as hard. If he does start nipping, I use the "Ay" noise that means stop that and offer him something else to chew on. If he's reeeaaaaally persistent about chewing my hands (it's always my hands/forearms) and keeps coming back despite attempts at redirection, that is when I use my thumb to apply slight pressure under his tongue so that he lays down and stops biting.

The thread posted earlier on bite inhibition was a huuuuuge help to me when I first brought Thor home, and I read through it in its entirety!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 11 of 11 Posts