German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my close friend is moving to england for study he has a beautiful west german show line gsd 5 months old. he cant sell it so he asked me if i can adopt em. i already have a 4 month gsd. puppy is beautiful i really cant say no, but i heard its alot of trouble. ne sugguestion from the pros
both are male

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
They can get a long but it is not recommended. What I do not understand is why your friend even bought the pup if he knew he would be going overseas to school in 3 months. Has he contacted the breeder to see if they would take him back and find a more suitable home?

·
Registered
885 Posts
2 males is better than 2 females~ you'll have to keep a close eye on them but it can be done, you should have a back up plan just in case it doesnt work out...i would try to get the 2 of them together as much as possible beforehand and see how it goes

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I also have had multiple males and also with no problems

·
2,967 Posts
2 males doesn't bother me. I have 3 in the house and the 2 that were together since the one was a puppy get along with no problems.

2 Puppies on the other hand is HARD to do. We raised 2 males at the same time and it was very time consuming and expensive. We had to separate them most of the time because whenever they were awake it was like UFC in my living room. When one would wake up and cry, the other would wake up and cry. With the puppies we ended up doing everything twice, if they were together they didn't pay attention to what they were doing, like potty and eating. Which made potty training and training more difficult. Also 2 puppy vet bills were expensive, 2 puppy training classes were expensive, feeding 2 growing puppies high quality kibble was expensive.

Most people I know that have raised two puppies do it this way (separate) and then reintroduce the dogs slowly once the human bond has been solidified. So that yes, eventually everyone is together, but it takes time to get there.

Some info on raising 2 puppies together in a family home.
http://leerburg.com/2dogs.htm

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well, some of you have already heard this (perhaps too many times - LOL).

We have not had a male GSD since 1974. Since then, it has always been 2 or more females - I can honestly say that we have never had a problem. We now have three intact females and in keeping with our past experience-no problems.

All that being said, conventional wisdom says that the best situation is one male/one female - next best is two males and finally two females. Soooo much depends upon the temperament of the dogs. I would guess that you will probably be OK considering their young age. I believe that I would be more concerned with the fact that you will be raising TWO puppies. This can be a daunting task of you are not used to the puppy thing.

I can understand your wanting to keep both dogs; I would do the same!!!
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I'm confused why he can't sell the pup (I understand why he may not want to
) ...

He could look for a foster/boarding situation with an experienced dog trainer/person if this is only for a few months but I'm surprised the breeder isn't willing to help by taking the pup back temporarily or permenantly.

If Shane is your first dog that you have complete responsibility for ('family' dogs don't count), don't do it.
If both pups are soft dogs it might be OK, but it's alot easier to raise 1 pup than 2 - just imagine the time needed to walk & train both pups <u>separately</u>.
If you don't manage enough separate 1on1 time with each pup, the dogs will end up primarily bonded to each other rather than to any human (they play on the same level, they 'speak' the same language etc).
At 4 & 5 months old, these pups are easy, at 9-18mo old when they go through their independence phases, you'll wish you were 2 people

Also consider the financial responsibility, what's your monthly dog budget? annual dog budget? emergency dog budget?
if you have limited ability to work (for some reason I think you're in school/college), make sure you get comprehensive pet insurance that covers emergencies & 'genetic' issues such as hip/elbow dysplagia, panno, pannus etc (to decide on a carrier, check with your vet to see who they like to deal with).

Have you & Shane spent any time with this dog?
You could take this pup for a weekend trial, if that goes great, take him for a 2 week trial, <u>then</u> decide if this is something you really want to commit to ... it's alot easier to rehome a 5mo old pup than an unruly 10mo old.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote:I believe that I would be more concerned with the fact that you will be raising TWO puppies. This can be a daunting task of you are not used to the puppy thing.
Good to hear that I'm not totally alone on this point.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
From a previous 2 puppy thread

Quote: ... oh yeahh my cousin will be buying my lab puppy(4 months), cz i dont wanna have 2 puppies in a house.
Don't be swayed from this position just because the second pup is now a GSD - 2 GSD puppies will almost always be ALOT more time & effort than a GSD + Lab

ETA forgot the word puppy

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: EJQ I believe that I would be more concerned with the fact that you will be raising TWO puppies. This can be a daunting task of you are not used to the puppy thing.
Having two 16 week old littermates right now, I can say it's a daunting task even if you are used to the puppy thing.

I also have to wonder why someone would get a pup if he knew he was going overseas in a few months. But regardless, I think talking to the breeder and seeing if the breeder will take the pup back and rehome it should be the first course of action.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Quote:Having two 16 week old littermates right now, I can say it's a daunting task even if you are used to the puppy thing.
For those of us that have been there & done that - absolutely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts