German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We found two GS on Petfinder near Bisbee, AZ and have some questions. Their elderly owners have been placed in nursing homes in another state and friends have been feeding these dogs, but they have been living outside for the past 5 months basically alone. Today, they were each taken for a walk on a leash without the other and it was apparent that the one left behind each time was extremely paniced without their mate. Do you think that these dogs should be adopted together or do you think that each would do OK if adopted singly? We can't take both, but the friend will separately adopt them out. Also, it seems that the couple may not have maintained vet care for these 7+ year old dogs. Lastly, since they have been outside for many months now, do you think they would still be housebroken? Is there a rescue in the area that might be able to take both and work with them to be more adoptable? There has been a neighbor feeding them daily and the caretaker of the estate visits them every three days. We hope someone can help.

Thanks
Don & Lori :paw:

·
Registered
27,338 Posts
I would really want the dogs to go together, if they were mine. I think if they were housebroken in the past, it wouldn't take much to get them to that point. Even if they were kennel dogs, they can still learn to potty/poo outside! In fact they'd prefer it, I think.
Is there a rescue in the area that can eval them and maybe foster for a bit?
I see you asked that question in your post, I would hope this could be an option for them before separating.

Hopefully they are heartworm negative and not intact.

I think two dogs are as easy as one. I've always had three, though! Three for me is a good number.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Two dogs together, if they are older, and are bonded, is not hard. There is more expense with feeding and of course vet bills if both run into problems - but if these guys can be vetted and shown to be in good health, it should be a few years before an adopter has to worry about that. The fact that one panics when the other leaves is common with dogs which spend most of their time together (such as out in the yard 24/7) because they bond to each other, not their humans - given their age, I'd say it would be kinder to keep them together. (Two are more fun anyway!!!!!) If they absolutely have to be split up they should go to families willing to invest a great deal of time with them, providing the human companionship they need, and helping them to overcome the "loss" of the other dog. Housetraining may have gotten a bit rusty, but GSD's are easy to get back into the swing of things - you just treat them like puppies for a while until they get the hang of it. The bigger issue, as onyx'girl pointed out, is the heartworm issue (though not such a big deal in a dry state like AZ) and whether or not they are spayed/neutered. Good luck finding a rescue - Google AZ rescues and see what you come up with....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge :angel:

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I found one - Southwest German Shepherd Rescue, but it says right up front that they will not adopt out of state....

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are currently in tucson for 5 weeks, these dogs are in Douglas, Az.
We have talked with the caretaker to adopt one but can't take both. That is why we are asking the questions.
We are looking to replace our 15 y/o GSD who passed in May. We miss our dog, but dont want to split up the pair and leave one alone.

Don

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Perhaps you would want to make the Rescue I listed aware of these two? It may be that they could place them with a foster and work with them on their separation issues........

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We decided today not totake just the onedog and hope someone can take both.We gave the caretaker the phone number and email for southwest rescue. He is going to contact them. He has brought the dogs to his home now and the femaleis really stressed in a new location.

Thanks for the help and information from everyone.

Don

·
Registered
27,338 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
We decided today not totake just the onedog and hope someone can take both.We gave the caretaker the phone number and email for southwest rescue. He is going to contact them. He has brought the dogs to his home now and the femaleis really stressed in a new location.

Thanks for the help and information from everyone.

Don
Thanks Don, I hope the caretaker follows through...... if SW can't take them perhaps they know of someone who can.....poor little girl, I hope she adjusts soon - GSD's are quite resilient once they realize they are safe, but moving her around is going to make it more difficult for the next person, especially if it isn't a forever home. I think you made the right decision in not splitting these guys up......have a safe trip back to Michigan!

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Speaking from the side of rescue, it is almost impossible to adopt out two dogs into the same home. Most adopters have a hard enough time inegrating one dog into the home. As to foster homes, they don't grow on trees and all rescues are beyond full. Finding a foster home for one dog is hard enough, finding one that can take both is even harder.
The reality is, if these dogs don't get separated, they will be very hard to place. If the caretaker gets tired of them, they will end up at a shelter and be euthanized because of overcrowding or age.

I think it would be better to take one, they will adjust with time. The remaining one will be easier to place. By waiting to place both into the same home, they may end up euthanized. I think it was the wrong decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts