German Shepherds Forum banner

2 General questions, CATS and Dog favoritism..

2K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  Lilie 
#1 ·

I want to go on record that I used to love cats but now I hate em. They crap all over the complex and try to fight everything under the sun that they don't like. I even had a cat try to confront out Daisy while visiting he neighbors. She just sat there but I think now Daisy is ready to attack as the last time the cat came near her she lunged at the cat.

CATS.... I hate the nasty filthy creatures, loyal to the person feeding them at the time.

Anyone else hate cats?

2. Does your dog favor either one of you (for those of you who are married or live with gf/bf)?

I mess around with our dog more than my gf does, always giving her attention and being a little playfull rough with her. She's not very shy anymore and only just occasionally now.

Last night I went to drop my daughter off with her mommy and my gf told me that when I left, Daisy sat by the garage door and wouldnt leave until I got back. My gf took the trash out and was going to take her out for a quick walk to goto the bathroom, but Daisy wouldn't budge from the door to the garage.

When I got home she went crazy and wanted to get in the car with me and wanted to play fight on the couch as well.

Will this be a bad thing later down the road when it comes to listening to my gf when I"m not home?

thanks
jake

See less See more
#2 ·
1) I don't hate cats. I own a cat she's a sweetheart, but after she goes we're not getting another one because Dodger wants to kill kitties :( but I'm more of a dog person that a cat person

2) I live with my mom and Dodger is bonded to me more than my mom. He's Velcro dog to me and not to her. even though he's bonded to both of us he picked me as his special person.

#3 ·
Zoe prefers me over my DH and always has though with age she at least acknowledges him,lol- she used to flat out act like he wasn't in the room. I also like cats and have one who doesn't try to fight anyone or poo anywhere but her litter box. I think you hate stupid cat owners that let their cats roam and poop where they please and not the cat:)

#4 ·
1. Overall I love cats but I've definitely had a few that I hated at times when they would pee in my closet, barf in my shoe, poop in my bathtub or cough up a giant hairball at the bottom step of the staircase so that when I walk downstairs in the dark without my glasses on I get to the bottom step and get to feel a giant "SQUISSSHHH" as I step in a wad of hairball. Gross. But, overall - I do like cats. I have one right now (a Persian...very picky thing) and she's a sweetheart - you can pick her up and she's like a rag doll - she's just limp. She's super easy to take care of - just have to brush her, she's quiet, doesn't destroy things and it's easy with one cat to do a litter box...doesn't make it fun but...it's not too bad. Did have to get her Royal Canin for her sensitive tummy (I wouldn't normally recommend RC but for her - it was a life saver). She's an indoor kitty so - I don't have to deal with cats fighting, etc - she's such a princess I can't imagine her outside. Maybe it's coincidence but all the poofy and floofy cats I've known are very laid back...just thinking out loud...

2. My (our) dogs seem to gravitate towards my husband if they want to rough house in the house or get away with something they know they're not supposed to be doing....it's kind of funny. I'll walk in the room and both Xander and my husband will get this look like "I wasn't doing that"...it's funny :D But, if the dogs want to snuggle they'll usually come snuggle on the couch (I know...on the couch :) ) with me. They don't really seem to like one person better than the other. My female whippet does seem to like my husband more and my male, Xander, seems to like me more...

#6 ·
I don't hate cats.....

The problem is that I don't discourage prey behavior with my dogs, they go after rabbits (which are heck on my garden, and orchard) and I cheer them on. They go after squirels and I root for them "sic'em!". They go after pack rats, and I give my dogs high fives "yea!". Problem is a cat is just too much like the other verman that they chase off the property. My last border collie just loved cats. (she thought they tasted like chicken.:rolleyes:) So, there aren't any cats on my property, and I suppose it is probably going to remain a catless place untill the dogs are gone. :eek:

#7 ·
I don't hate cats.....

The problem is that I don't discourage prey behavior with my dogs, they go after rabbits (which are heck on my garden, and orchard) and I cheer them on. They go after squirels and I root for them "sic'em!". They go after pack rats, and I give my dogs high fives "yea!". Problem is a cat is just too much like the other verman that they chase off the property. My last border collie just loved cats. (she thought they tasted like chicken.:rolleyes:) So, there aren't any cats on my property, and I suppose it is probably going to remain a catless place untill the dogs are gone. :eek:
I used to have a red heeler that absolutely loved cats. She'd eat everything but the head. I would have to beat the kids outside in the mornings and do 'head patrol' before they came out to play. She'd catch, on average, about 2 a week. She was a good dog. :)

#8 ·
Cats are a different animal than dogs. If you respect them as a different type of companion, they can be awesome. Their are also many, many different personalities in cats. I like them, but I do not want to own one again.

I live alone. So cannot comment on that, but I think that if the dog will not respond to the GF, it can become an issue if you all want to become more than just friends. If this is a serious thing, you might want the GF to take the dog to some type of classes, agility maybe or obedience so that the dog understands that she is also one who has to be listened to.

#9 ·
I love cats, and my dog does too. :D
Most of my cats were rescued as kittens and bottlefed by me, so they think I am their mother and are very attached to me and very sweet and cuddly.
I do not like cats running feral or people who let their cats roam free. I am hoping to do some trap/neuter/return with the ferals in my neighborhood to hopefully reduce the population. It's not really that I don't like the ferals themselves, I just hate that there are so many ferals because they have a hard life, they spread disease and the males spray. Most of my cats were rescued as feral kittens, so at least I got some cats of living that life.

#11 ·
1. I used to hate cats until I got Bevin (to protect me from the toilet rat...long story). She followed me around, slept with me, talked to me, etc. 3 years later Panzer came into my life, and although he is a holy terror, he's still a sweet cat. I will always own at least one cat, preferably two. I like the companionship that they can offer and also see their value as mousers.

2. Dogs will always be my favorite. Freyja has a high prey drive, but she is learning that if the animal is in the house then it's off limits...well except for mice, she can eat those as well. Angus is pretty good with cats as well, but only the ones that belong in the house. My old collie, Teddy, was a certified cat killer. I remember coming home one day from dance lessons and seeing him shaking a cat like it was a rat. My sister's cat was never safe around him. Teddy also liked snakes and would whip them around his head like a rope toy...I learned not to distract him during those times or else a snake torpedo would whiz by my head.

#12 ·
1. I love MY cats. Other cats, not so much. Only because I have a way of raising my cats to be almost dog like. All four are therefore extremely affectionate and outgoing, they're not shy, flighty or aggressive with us or each other, they play with my dogs, and they do not hiss or scratch, EVER.

2. I'm single, lol, but I do live with my mom while she's injured. Her dog Lexie loves her, and is a PITA to me, growls at me, tattle tales on me, etc. My dog Beau loves me, and is with me 24/7, glued at the hip, er, ankle, lol. Remi favors me I think, he follows me everywhere in the house, but not my mom, but I'm the one feeding, playing, letting him out, training, etc. and he's MY dog. But yes, the dogs do favor one of us more than the other.

#13 · (Edited)
I don't care for cats. Wouldn't ever hurt one but they aren't my cup of tea.

I have friends that have over a dozen of them in their small house and sometimes it really stinks.

Oh and did I say that I have cat allergies. Well that's what I tell everyone. It's a little white lie!

We call cats here "Alley Bunnies"

#14 ·
I don't care for cats. Wouldn't ever hurt one but they aren't my cup of tea.

I have friends that have over a dozen of them in their small house and sometimes it really stinks.

Oh and did I say that I have cat allergies. Well that's what I tell everyone. It's a little white lie!

We call cats here "Alley Bunnies"
:rofl: Oh my gosh! That's some funny ****! :rofl:

#15 ·
1. I used to think of myself as a cat person, but then I got dogs. I think I get a lot more out of a relationship with a dog than I ever got out of a relationship with a cat. But dogs are a lot more work, are a lot more demanding of interaction. Maybe if my cat followed me around the house and begged me to take him for a walk, I might feel differently.

I still enjoy cats, except for the neighbor's cats who crap all over my driveway for my dogs to try and eat (so gross!). But I don't think that we'll get more cats in the future. I think the household would be more peaceful with just one species of pet. It's a constant battle to get the dogs not to chase the cats.

2. My husband and I are home with both dogs all day long, and have been since they were puppies. We attended their classes together, sharing handler duties. So I can say with pretty good certainty that they don't prefer one of us over the other.

#16 ·
1) I have 3 cats, they are all very different, they are all entertaining and they all have things I love about them. One is my tv buddy, she cuddles with me while we watch tv. One talks to me constantly and follows me around the house and sits on my shoulder like a parrot. One takes naps with me and sleeps with me at night and runs around like a demon but she cracks me up. They have ruined alot of my stuff, but it's all replaceable and they are not. The only thing I hate about cats is the litter box.

2) When I was with my ex (Sinister's dad) you could tell that I was Sin's favorite. His dad is still in the picture, he watches him for me and comes over to see him all the time but I am still Sin's favorite. :D

#17 ·
I never had any of my dogs try to chase the cats so I haven't had an issue, they all live peacefully. I did have to tell Bianca that she couldn't play with the cats like they were dogs when I first brought her home but after I told her leave it a few times she stopped trying.

I love having different species!

#19 ·
I never had any of my dogs try to chase the cats so I haven't had an issue, they all live peacefully. I did have to tell Bianca that she couldn't play with the cats like they were dogs when I first brought her home but after I told her leave it a few times she stopped trying.

I love having different species!

Great Pictures!!!

#18 ·
1. Cats are ok, I just really don't like cleaning a litter box. I mean it's ok if you do it everyday, but I HATE the smell of a dirty cat box! Eww. I like cats, not kittens. Kittens are terrors. But yeah, I like cats enough:)

2. Schindler is definitely my boy. He thinks that staying by my side is his job. When my husband & I got married, he moved in with us, and Schindler did not like it at all. Everytime we would hug Schindler would cry and try to get inbetween us. He wouldnt listen to my hubby until the third command. He is much better now about listening and also at letting us be close without a cold torpedo nose in the way...

My husband decided that he wanted his own dog, so we got Mya. And after 1 month she is already gravitating towards me.(yikes!) I'm the one that gives out medicine, feeds & plays with them the most. Schindler has a baby mattress for a bed right next to my side of the bed and Mya sleeps in the front curve of my body. But, we are trying to become more of a unit than "my dog-your dog". I can't help that they love their mommy!!

#20 ·
Cats don't bother me much, but I'm more of a dog person. I have to barn cats that we adopted as feral cats. They turned out to be really great cats, and terrific mousers. They don't come in to the house, but are never far away.

My GSD has/had a strong cat drive. My cats don't take any stink off of him. They have been a valuable tool in teaching him to leave it. We can even all be on the porch at the same time now....for a least a few minutes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.