German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need opinions/advice about my new puppy and current dogs.

About two weeks ago I brought home a female German Shepard(now 10 weeks old) I already have two older dogs, a male Labrador retriever and a female Chihuahua mix. Both are fixed. My Lab is a gentle giant and just the sweetest boy. I initially did not want another boy dog unless it was a small breed because I didn’t want any dominance issues once the puppy grows up. My Chihuahua mix is super sweet and has always shown a “mothering” type instinct around other animals but she is definitely the “alpha” in our home. My lab knows to give her space and not touch her food. They get along perfectly and are definitely bonded.
Now here’s where I’m a little confused about if I made a mistake - I chose a girl German Shepard because I honestly did not think there would be any issues since my Chihuahua has always accepted other dogs. She hasn’t really warmed up to the German Shepard puppy, but I expected it to take a little while for that to happen. She has tried to correct her a couple times when the puppy is playing too rough or tries to get on top of her. ( I am doing my best to teach the puppy boundaries and don’t just let her all over the other dogs) but I’m afraid that the puppy will try to be alpha because when my Chihuahua is correcting her (and tried mounting her once) the puppy does not back down. Now I’m reading things on a German Shepard forum about never having two female dogs, and the fights between females being so much worse than between males. I have always planned to get a professional trainer for puppy and obedience training, but is that something that can be avoided with training if we start now? I just want to make the best decision I can before any real issues even start.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
It can be avoided if you know what you are doing. It’s rare fir males to show aggression to females. Make to make and female to female aggression is very common. Right now your puppy doesn’t take your small dog serious. You need to set the boundaries, and it’s better early on than later. You need to step in when the puppy is invading space. You could very well end up with an issue as the puppy matures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts