German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fail 1, we moved recently to the country (1.6 acres) with a small fenced section directly behind the house. We left the dogs in the fenced area and ran errands one Saturday morning. Pulled into the driveway and we were greeted by both dogs out in the front yard. :surprise: We latched one gate and forgot the second gate, left it wide open.

Fail 2, taking pictures of my grandson with Della. To preface this Della has always paid so much attention to Colton(11 months), checking on him, sleeping beside him. Tessa would rather hang with Caylee (his older sister). So anyways I'm taking pictures the 3 of us are in a 3 foot radius, and it wasn't until after I put the camera down that I realized Colton had a really tight grip of Dell's
ear. :surprise: She never even flinched at him, SAM_0222.jpg

Thank goodness I have such balanced and good natured dogs that learn their rules and obey them. So obviously we're double checking the gates now. I removed her ear from his grip immediately, and have to be more observant when I've got my camera going.

And to the question, we've always taken our dogs camping, Tess (7) has always loved swimming, Della(4) would splash at the edge and lay in the water but really didn't swim. Tessa has always been fetch crazy, Della will retrieve but it's not her life purpose. Now that we've moved and have a pond, Della is swimming so much more than Tessa. She'll even go into the deep edges, not using the beach,, Tessa will go in at the beach to fetch but seldom just to swim. Della is also much more interested in fetch, so 2 fairly major changes for her. Has anyone else seen big differences after moving?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Gosh you were very lucky that your dogs didn't get lost and that photo just makes my heart stop, not only his your grandson pulling on his ear, he is also bending down with his face right by her teeth... could have ended very differently... I'm very glad it didn't!!

·
Super Moderator
5,870 Posts
Adorable!Della looks very content while "her boy" rearranges her ear:)
Sounds like Tessa has become very matter of fact about having her own private swimming hole while Della has become more comfortable having daily access and having fun with it.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm have complete confidence in how safe these two are with children. I just never allow the kids to manhandle them, so I failed Dell.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just wanted to say congratulations on the new home and hopefully some peace and quite. Lovely dog and i bet they are both happy have land to run and a pond to swim in. The dog did not look bothered one bit by the child. I think i have a dog whom has a very soft spot for children its rather precious and very much appreciated. Enjoy 🙂

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Wow, glad both dogs knew to stay put. Have you lived there long enough for Tessa and Della to know the new place is home? Having solid temperaments can bail us out when the unexpected stuff happens, good girl Della! Ranger was bitten by a neighbor kid years ago, still very thankful for his non reaction.

Glad you escaped the chaos of your now former neighbors. I gotta admit I’m a bit jealous. Last night I had to endure what seemed like endless yipping from my neighbors chihuahua pack. I finally had to go over at 1030pm and ask that they be brought inside.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
When I moved to Saskatchewan the dogs behavior changed a bit, I think they were relieved to be out of the city stress and smog.
A roomie let Sabi out once trying to be nice but did not notice that the meter guy had left the gate unlatched. She was laying on the doorstep when I arrived home. Gotta love it when they stay put!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I'm have complete confidence in how safe these two are with children. I just never allow the kids to manhandle them, so I failed Dell.
Yes, Della looks completely unfazed, and totally relaxed... even enjoying the attention from the little one. I'm not saying she would attack your grandson or that you even ever have had any sort of inkling that she might... I'm terrible for "what-if" - I play "what if" out all the time in my head... I never let my boy off his lead because of all the "what ifs" that go on in my own head.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, glad both dogs knew to stay put. Have you lived there long enough for Tessa and Della to know the new place is home? Having solid temperaments can bail us out when the unexpected stuff happens, good girl Della! Ranger was bitten by a neighbor kid years ago, still very thankful for his non reaction.

Glad you escaped the chaos of your now former neighbors. I gotta admit I’m a bit jealous. Last night I had to endure what seemed like endless yipping from my neighbors chihuahua pack. I finally had to go over at 1030pm and ask that they be brought inside.

We've had the dogs here for 3 weeks, we're finishing up at the old house but we never take them back there. And yes every time I pull in and hear those 3 dogs next door I think how glad I am that we've found this home. Just a couple more pictures. Tessa and her girl, not sure why the other picture is sideways.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I moved to Saskatchewan the dogs behavior changed a bit, I think they were relieved to be out of the city stress and smog.
A roomie let Sabi out once trying to be nice but did not notice that the meter guy had left the gate unlatched. She was laying on the doorstep when I arrived home. Gotta love it when they stay put!
It's definitely a different atmosphere out here. Its fun to watch them enjoy it as much as we do. Good for Sabi staying also, and I loved all those old pictures on your post. What joy and fun to find those.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
It's always best to be vigilant to what is going on between dogs and children, as you are, but I have to say from my limited experience, it would take a lot to make a stable dog react to little ones or to accidents with his teeth. I have more than once accidentally stepped on my dogs' feet and because my dogs like to be right by me, I even accidentally stepped on the tip of Rocky's ear. (I know, I felt terrible.) When Newlie was riddled with cancer, I had to sometimes help lift him up the stairs and into the car, yet he never snarled or snapped at me. I also held his head when the vet was manipulating his leg before and after two surgeries, and although he stuck his head between my legs (If I don't see him,he can't see me.) and cried and moaned and grumbled, again no reaction toward me. My husband once caught my Lab's tell under the legs of a recliner when he sat forward, the poor dog screamed, but no teeth.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Congrats on your move! Grandson is adorable! Awesome dogs! Very patient and stable dog is key with little ones- surprises are just part of the deal. It’s what I admire most about max and Luna. How they are with my kids and nephews. I have twin nephews who just turned three years old they are like screaming tornadoes whirling through the house when they visit. They enjoy the dogs and do not have any of their own. So often a visit may often include instruction on not pulling tails etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts