German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this is the right area to post this.

Anyway, my SO and I have been considering a second German Shepherd pup for a while now. Sigurd is 15 months old right now. We were thinking a senior for a while, but we figured with Sigurd's dominate/really rough play style, it wouldn't be the best option. We figured a pup would probably be best, as it would grow up/become accustomed to Sigurd. We were also thinking a female would do better. We probably wouldn't do this for a while, I'd really like to think about it and do what's best for my family, Sigurd, and the new puppy.

I'd appreciate it if you could tell me what it's like to have more than one dog? Any stories, tips, etc would be appreciated.

I'm worried Sigurd is going to feel replaced, or 2nd in our lives :crazy: does the original dog deal with it ok?

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I have three lol. Sigurd will be happy to have a playmate. Having two dogs isn't that bad it's just a little more work, but you'll enjoy having more than one. Since Sigurd's a male I'd suggest a female because two males don't always get along. Although if you introduce them right and get a submissive personality it shouldn't be a problem. I have two males and they get along just fine granted ones 16 and the others 2 .the 16 year old is really laid back and goes with the flow the 2 year old and the 16 year old are really close they follow each other everywhere. It's a blast having more than one dog I try not to favor one dog over the other, I don't want jealousy going around lol. Good luck with what ever you decide!!!!

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Hmmmm.

Two dogs was so very long ago.

I had Frodo. And when I purchased my home, I bought my female puppy. Frodo was about five or six at the time. The puppy was under six weeks. Frodo was great with her from the git go. When she was 18 months old and fresh back from her nineteen day jaunt, he did not want to let her eat her food and we had a bit of a squabble at that point, there was a bitch in heat that I was taking care of at the time, so I sent her home.

Then I had only Arwen for a while -- I still dream about that -- having just one dog. But then I think, which ones could I give up, and NORMALLY this longing dissipates. Today, the answer was NINJA AND WHITNEY!!!

Ah well, then my brother's bitch came to live with us. Two adult intact bitches put together, and it happened. WWIII. This is when I built the invincible kennels. It was because of my brother's crazy bitch who went through my window three times, and had me and Arwen in the hospital more than once, as well as herself.

I do not suggest putting adult females together. Adult males really depend on the males.

After the kennels were installed, I got Dubya. And for a while I was fostering a young lab mixture to save him from being slaughtered in the road and get him fixed. Arwen and Jazzy each shared their kennels with a puppy. That worked ok for the most part.

Did I mention that these bitches hated each other. Well one day, Arwen was in there with the seven week old puppy, Dubya, and started her fence fighting along the length of the kennel 23 feet. Back and fourth. She stumbled over the puppy and grabbed him in her mouth and shook him, I was right there and got him out of there right quick. No lasting damage. But I had to put up a tarp down the length of the runs so that Arwen and Jazzy could not make stupid faces at each other.

I put Dubya in with Jazzy and Scrappy (who was older) in with Arwen and no further issues.

When Arwen was four, Jazzy went back to live with my brother and it was just Arwen and Dubya. They were great together, no problems. I had a litter out of them. And the two female puppies, Arwen, and Dubya would run together, no problem. I bought Rushie as a ten week old pup when Babs and Jenna were 8 months old or so.

All five were fine together until Arwen got pregnant again and she laid into Jenna. When Rush was about eleven months old, he had a tussel with Dubya. I had already split the large kennels into two, with a few additions, I had a kennel for each dog.

Right now, Babs and Jenna seem good together, Babs and Whitney are ok. Babs and Joy are fine. Milla is pretty much ok with everyone. Heidi and Jenna seem ok. Ninja is not good with anyone. Tori is not good with anyone either. Jenna is mostly good with most of them. Having lost my two most dominant dogs this year, Arwen and Rushie, the hierarchy is a little strange. So I watch every one like a hawk and ensure that no one is free to molest another if I am not right there to break things up.

My point is that keeping two dogs is USUALLY pretty easy, unless you have personality conflicts, poor leadership, same sex close in age, etc. Normally, bringing the youngster in as a puppy works out fine.

Three or more dogs tend to be more of a pack, and you have to decide whether you will allow the pack to evolve or if you are going to ensure the safety of all by separation and rotation. Still, puppies generally have a license up to a certain age, and even then pack problems do not usually start until they have reached sexual maturity around one year of age, give or take a few months. To keep a pack, you really have to maintain good management procedures and continual training with all members.

All the rescue people will probably disagree, but I would definitely suggest a puppy in your situation. But I would wait until your boy is 3.5 or even 4 years old. There are many reasons to wait.

Use this dog to learn from. Take him out, do things with him. Take him to classes, and more classes, and more classes. Train him to do something, obedience, agility, rally, tracking, herding, schutzhund.

By four years old, you should have a strong bond and solid training with your dog. And bringing in a puppy at that time, would be ideal. The dog will not require as much training, etc, and the puppy will.

When this pup gets to be about four years, your older dog will be getting close to his geriatric period, when vet costs will go up, and he will most likely slow down. The pup will be at the point where he can fulfill your desires for whatever you want to do with the dog, but not be so hyper that it is always bounding into the aging dog.

At 12 when the old boy is ready to go, the younger dog is eight and not 11. Two many times when one old dog goes, its partner in crime all its life goes shortly after. Waiting several years between dogs can make this much less likely.

Financially having one senior/geriatric dog at a time is easier.

I also agree that a bitch and a dog is least likely to have problems.

So do not do what I have done with eight, soon to be nine bitches all under five years old.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
two GSD`s was peaceful, 3, i have my hands full, :)

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I love having 3! When I only had the two girls there was a void after my senior Clover passed away.
I couldn't wait to get a puppy~I fostered during the interim and would have adopted the foster if he liked my DH and son...
I agree with the age/ I would have the age span about 3 yrs apart if I were adding to the pack.
I adopted Kacie(she was 21 mos.) when Onyx was only 5 months and Onyx didn't get as much one on one as I should have given her(especially with her issues)
The dynamics of my pack are really balanced, I know it makes a huge difference, I don't have to crate and rotate at all.
Opposite sexes for sure if you have a female to begin with.... Two males would be easier to manage than two bitches if they weren't intact and the personality wasn't overdominant.
Onyx is dominant to Kacie and Karlo, but in the end I think Karlo will come out on top of the ladder, it is showing often with toys and he is only 15 mos old. Who can resist Karlo?!
From what I know of Sigurd, he should do fine with either sex depending on the dog coming in to the home. He seems pretty happy go lucky where other dogs are concerned-but he hasn't matured yet, either...I doubt his character will change much as he ages as far as other dogs go:)

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I have 5 currently but I am one who just enjoys having my own pack! 3 of them are older and just don't do much anymore other than just lay about. Ursa and Nico are my youngest ones and they are a blast - Ursa loves to pick on Nico who of course hates her. It's even more fun when we visit my parents and my brother brings his dogs too - my 5, parents 3 and my brothers 2. That's 10 dogs but luckily they all mostly get along.

·
2,967 Posts
2 is a nice number. :) We've got 5 right now- 4 boys and a girl. Girl can go with any of the boys, but I have to be careful with the oldest male. I agree that a female would probably be best in your situation.

My only advice would be to take your time introducing them. I introduce my puppies to my dogs incrementally over a couple of months. I think too many people throw the dogs together and expect everyone to just magically get along. If you're lucky they'll have YEARS to live together...so they don't have to do everything together in Week 1.

Also make sure that everyone gets their own time. I like to enroll in a class with my older dog, have our evening walk without the puppy, or make a point of having outings every couple of days so that there are not those feelings of strife.

To my mind, dogs do not experience jealousy like humans do, but they are sensitive to their position in the pack. I like to make sure that they do not feel demoted even when the puppy needs extra attention.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Two is a good number, unless there is a real difference in the dogs... For instance, I have a 12lb dog, and my 80lb GSD. She is the only dog he plays with, and he can be too rough...

But I had a pair of GSDs for many years, as long as one is submissive, it works out great... Getting a young female or a puppy would be good. Dutch was 6-7 months when we introduced her to our 2-3 year old boy.

However, I really don't suggest ever leaving them loose together when you aren't there. I know many people do, but I will never take that chance of a fight when I"m not home to break it up.

·
Banned
31,833 Posts
Dogs may not feel jealousy like humans, but bitches sure put on a show like they are jeolous. Whitney has this high pitched scream when I let another bitch out in the yard. Tori mugs me on the way out of her kennel so I will rub her ears and head, and then Jenna comes up and acts like she would kill Tori for that attention.

No, I do not think that dogs think like human children would -- "Dad took Brian fishing last time, and now he is taking him again....."
But in the spur of the moment, "DON"T TOUCH HER, TOUCH ME. DON'T EVEN LOOK AT HER!!!!" "GET OUTTA MY WAY, THAT'S MY SUZIE... AND DON'T COME BACK!"

·
Registered
3,397 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I got 2!!:D I love it! THey both get along great! They are practically a year apart.

It can be a handful and the other may get jealous. Don't feed them near each other, one will try to each the other dog's food!lol.

I think its a good idea you want another dog/puppy. I think you should go with a puppy. The older dog may try and become the dominant one, also I like having a boy and a girl.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
My Sinister is 15 months old right now. I am getting a female GSD puppy next September. I would absolutely love to get one right now but I dont have $2000 right now to get the puppy and take care of the puppy, I also want to wait until Sin is a little more mature. He will be 2 1/2 when I bring the new puppy home.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I have three at the moment: one GSD, one rottie mix, one sheltie. It took some jostling for position, but everyone gets along great now (they eat, sleep, play, walk, swim, train, and show together). One of the things I most enjoy doing is just relaxing in the backyard or at the park just watching them all play together. So much better than just one dog, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
This is the second time I have 3. Two is a piece of cake, three is a little more work when #3 is a baby. Personally I think its better to have 2 dogs, they play with each other and keep each other company.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
I have had 2 GSD for 13 years now. Got an older rescue when Max was about 2. Had 3 for a while and then Max passed away. Everyone got along when there were 3. He was really patience with Rorie

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow, so many replies. Thank you everyone for taking the time to explain owning more than 1 dog.

To be honest, I didn't want to wait until he was 3 or 4 years old. I was thinking closer to 1 1/2-2 years of age. Is it really a bad idea to bring a new pup in my home at his age? Sigurd is enrolled in an obedience class right now, we're working on his CGC, after that we're going to take more obedience for fun. I'm not interested in "working" him, doing sport or agility. He's a pretty good dog, we just have some minor issues. To me his job is to watch the house, and to be my companion.

Sigurd IS good with other dogs, female and male, puppy or adult (off of our property). He is just too excited and gets in a "zone" where he won't stop playing, no matter what. My trainer suggested getting another dog to help him combat this issue, to burn energy, and just for him to have another dog companion.

A wondering male GSD came into our yard a while ago, and Sigurd really did not approve of that. Typical male dominance/territorial behaviours occurred. A few weeks ago a female mix of some sort came into our yard, Sigurd was good with her, just pushy (he literally pushed her down the stairs with his paws). Do you think if I introduced him to a female pup he would learn to control pushy behaviour? I don't think I'd ever bring another male here.

I think with time, and getting to know the new pup, he'd learn to respect it, or at least tolerate it. In our training class there is this tiny little dog (the only other dog in the class) and at first he was excited, hyper, wanting to play. We let them meet, and he immediately smacked it with his paw. Now that we've been going for a couple weeks, he just sniffs it, doesn't try to bounce on it. I think that shows he can learn not to be pushy??

·
Registered
954 Posts
Nellie was 18 months when we got Ace. He was a rescue and already 5 months old but it worked out good. HOWEVER-It did take a toll on my emotions. I cried the first week or so. I just felt like we took Nellie's childhood away. I felt like it was too soon after it was too late. We had Ace already and we made it work. They are sooooo good together and Ace's fit was seamless. They are a perfect pair.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I think it would be best to get a female. They say dogs that are of the same sex tend to fight more than dogs of opposite sex. That is why I will be getting a female. I think you should wait until you feel Sigurd is trained exactly how you want him to be trained. When you think that he is perfect then you should get a puppy. IMO I would wait until he is a little more mature like 2-3 years old before bringing in another puppy. Like the others said when you have 2 dogs so close in age and you lose them later in life within months of each other, that is absolutely heart breaking.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think a big argument against a 1.5 - 2 year age gap is when old age sets in. When one dog is 9, the other dog would be 11. When one dog is 11, the other dog would be 13. You'd have two seniors on your hands, which could mean a lot in terms of health expenses, vet bills, and heartbreak.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
My 3 oldest are 12, 10 and 9 yrs old so I know I'm going to lose them close together although the oldest is my GSD and the other two are medium sized dogs.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts