German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it common for 2 dogs to lick each other all the time. I have never had two before and they seem to do is lick each others ears an faces.

·
Registered
954 Posts
My two do it all the time. Nellie even "cleans" Ace's teeth sometimes. :)

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Dang, I thought this was going to be a dirty joke.....

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Its a sign of submissiveness. Usually the submissive dog will lick the dominant dogs face if allowed. Kacie does it to Onyx, but never the other way around...Karlo does it to none.
When I see Kacie do it, it is usually to difuse a situation.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
.Karlo does it to none.
Interesting Jane . . . Gryffon will often lick Keeta's face, especially when she is growly and grumpy, like he is trying to appease her (which actually just irritates her and makes her even grumpier and growlier) - but never will she lick him.

I wonder if Karlo just considers himself a stronger more dominant dog over your girls, even at his age?

Gryff totaly defers to Keeta . . . I wonder if he'll ever want to take the top position as he gets older.

But back to the original poster - yes, liking another's face is a sign of respect and submission and also affection. So great to hear that your two dogs are getting along great so great!

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Karlo is always putting his head over Onyx and Kacie's back assuming the dominant position, very seldom do they challenge him, though Onyx is still Alpha in the pack dynamics(for now)
Keeta is the queen of her land...and Gryff knows it!!? The boys are so easygoing, I think they will just go with the flow(as long as other boys aren't involved)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts