German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a German Shepherd/Sheltie mix in my house who is just over a year old and is neutered. He is very small (a sheltie body) weighing only 35 lbs. He can be very skiddish at times so we don't anticipate a dominance stand from him and he gets along very well with other dogs. We are looking at adopting a German Shepherd Dog who will be neutered as well. He will be significantly larger then our shepherd/sheltie. Would there be issues between the two of them despite being neutered. The GSD we are considering adopting is only 4 1/2 months old and has grown up around other dogs, both male and female, and doesn't have and issues. Would there be any issues? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
there can be issues with any dogs no matter the size, breed, altered, unaltered, male or female, or age. it all depends in the individual dog(s). I have a GSD who's 75 lbs and a border collie/Australian shepherd mix who weighs 35 pounds. they get along just fine (one is male and one is female). my BFF had three little dogs and my shepherd gets along with all three. he leaves her Chinese crested alone. I believe it really depends on the individual dog.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
It's a matter of teaching both dogs the rules of the house. I have 8 GSDs, ranging in age from 18mos to 11years and weighing from 50lbs to 85lbs. I also have one Lancashire Heeler who weighs 18lbs. All are in the house and get along fine because that is the law around here. I am very careful to make sure the big guys don't pick on the little guy and that the little guy doesn't antagonize the big guys too much. When pups I make sure to monitor all play, it never escalates to the point where the little guy feels threatened and the big pup isn't allowed to get too wild. When I leave the house I make sure the little guy is only left loose with certain dogs and that takes time to determine. Until that time, I crate anyone who may not be trustworthy, why risk it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i had 3 dogs and i fostered German Shepherds too...they all managed to get along with time.Sadly my 2 oldest died which left just my 9 year old feamale who was always the one to get along with everyone.So i got a puppy..Well she wasnt happy at all.She was constantly barking,growling and bullying the new pup.BUT i stuck with it.The puppy was 10 weeks old when i brought him home.He is now 6 months and they are now friends.I worked with them.i walked them together.I always greeted my oldest first,feed and let her out first.I would also watch them like a hawk and i wouldnt allow her to take the puppies stuff or eat his food.i am pack leader not her.It took time but it was well worth it.the puppy learned his boundries and my oldest knows that she is still high in the pack and they both know im boss :) just have paitence and know they will argue and fuss like children but they can settle nicely in place with time

·
Registered
693 Posts
If you have good control over that one dog in the home, you'll probably be fine with two. If your first dog has behavior "issues" around the house, adding another dog could be problematic.

·
Banned
3,612 Posts
Speaking only from personal experience at my house, it does totally depend on the dog. The training as well, (as in what you allow,) but the dog's personality really seems to trump.

My 17 pound four year old girl pretty much rules two one-year old 60 pound GSD mix boys. Yeah. Seriously.!

They're not left unsupervised, however.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been involved with this breed for a countless number of years. I have rescued multiple, and even was involved in breeding. I have had a number of animals, both family and unrelated, living together with no problem. A common misconception is that two males together is a problem because of dominance. The truth of the matter is that in the animal kingdom, the most powerful animal claims dominance, whether this is a female or a male, either can claim dominance if allowed. But, what should be happening here is you need to train them to show that YOU are the dominant one. If you show that you are dominant over them then they will not fight for dominance. If you believe that one dog will become dominant in the house, then you should seriously reconsider this breed as your choice because you need to be a strong enough owner and do the proper training and i am almost positive you will not see any issues. The new dog you are getting is young and at a good age to introduce to another dog, you will generally find more issues with dogs older (both male and female) then you will with a younger. He will be raised along side of your current dog and realize they are family and you make the rules very quickly so long as you make sure to show that you are the pack leader. An animal taking dominance usually doesn't occur until about 2-3 from my experience so just train him properly and you will have a fantastic home. Having another male might also be good for the condition of your current dog. I too at one point had a fearful dog that i rescued because of him being beaten. I at that time also owned a older GSD who i raised myself from 3 months of age. Having a strong role model was wonderful and it is miraculous how far he has come. You wouldn't know he had this issue in the past if you met him now and i attribute this to having the confident male by his side. I believe this would also be a good fit for your dog, possibly better then a female from my experience. German Shepherds are a fantastic breed, which is why I have always owned them and wouldn't want any other. I hope this has aided you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts