SuperSpots!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Just gorgeous! :wub:

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I have spotted dog envy! LOVE those Dals of yours!

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I could look at them all day long. I just seen one for sale in a pet store, I haven't seen one around in a long time. There was a single father that took it out and his son was about 2. The father was trying to decide between the Dal and a min pin. I advised him that the Dal's need lots of exercise and can be high energy, I think he went with the min pin.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could look at them all day long. I just seen one for sale in a pet store, I haven't seen one around in a long time. There was a single father that took it out and his son was about 2. The father was trying to decide between the Dal and a min pin. I advised him that the Dal's need lots of exercise and can be high energy, I think he went with the min pin.
I hope so, because most pet shop dogs are impulse buys, and this breed is most definitely not for that type of owner.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I hope so, because most pet shop dogs are impulse buys, and this breed is most definitely not for that type of owner.
I tried leading him in that direction. He looked kinda lost and once I explained the exercise and energy part, I think he was getting it. The puppy was adorable.

·
Registered
766 Posts
awesome pictures. My friend has a dalmatian, they will deff keep you moving

·
Registered
406 Posts
Lovely photos, I lost my dal at 10 to chronic arthritis last year. I still find it hard to see dalmatians, and I'm not sure if I could have another one as Oscar was so special I worry that I'll compare the next one to him. He was totally devoted to me, and was my friend though some crappy times, he was also a tireless playmate to the kids and spent many a night sleeping on their beds!
They are high energy, but very clever, I found Oscar easy to train and he was the best watchdog ever.

Thanks for posting the pictures :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep, they have energy to burn. They were bred as guard dogs for horse drawn carriages, they would run along side them anywhere from 25-50 miles in a day. They were also an "all-purpose" working dog; guarding, hunting, pointing, ratting, etc they would do whatever, but they were refined as a coach dog.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yep, they have energy to burn. They were bred as guard dogs for horse drawn carriages, they would run along side them anywhere from 25-50 miles in a day. They were also an "all-purpose" working dog; guarding, hunting, pointing, ratting, etc they would do whatever, but they were refined as a coach dog.
Very interesting, just thought of them as fire dogs... why does the firemen use them? I wonder...

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very interesting, just thought of them as fire dogs... why does the firemen use them? I wonder...

Fire trucks used to be horse drawn fire wagons, so they would have Dalmatians to guard the horses and wagons. The fire trucks had copper fittings and people would often try to steal from them when the fire fighters were busy, so the Dalmatian guarded it. They'd keep stray/lose dogs away from the horses, and they'd even be ratters in the barn,too

·
Registered
519 Posts
Super spots, I love it! What great pictures!
I've always had a soft spot for dals too, and I've known some really good ones. Definitely not the breed for me so I will never own one, but adore them just the same. Very nice dogs :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

The Dal is sitting up with the driver in this pic

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Beautiful dogs! And thanks for the history I had no idea! Pretty cool job for a dog :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts