German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frank is 2 and a half. He started out as a real handful. I mean just chewed on everything!!! (Doorways, stairs, coffee table, etc.) After training, he was great! No problems. Then about 6 months ago my wife and I started to notice he'd chew up little pieces of garbage and leave them shredded on the floor.

Now it's gotten to the point where he's eating certain things he shouldn't and emptying the entire garbage can and spreading the shredded crap all over.

What can we do here?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
my first thought would be move the garbage can to an area he can't get to it?

Does he have appropriate things to gnaw on, bones? chewies? Most times destructive behavior is done out of boredom, maybe up your exercise with him , the old saying 'a tired dog is a good dog' comes to mind.

At this point I'd be dog proofing your house or crate him when you can't supervise

·
5,627 Posts
I have a trash can like this:

It works great to keep the dogs out of the trash because you can lock the lid, the don't bother trying. As for chewing on other stuff, does he have plenty of appropriate things to chew on? Sounds like he might need a little more physical and mental exercise to wear him out.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Put the garbage where he can't get to when he is not supervised and supervise him when you are home so you can train him to stay out of the garbage.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Sounds like your dog was allowed to progress to this point and now your looking to fix it. Could have fixed it a long time ago. Pick up the garbage or better yet catch him in the act and tell him NO..

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I'd get a can with a lid like GSDRaven posted.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Perhaps your pup is telling you he needs to be given more mental stimulus, maybe more physical exercise as well.

If he exhibited this behavior in his youth, and you were able to teach him it wasn't exceptable and now he is doing it again - I think he is attempting to find an outlet for some pent up energy. If you haven't changed his normal exercise routine, maybe trying increasing it a bit and see if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
You can always crate him when you aren't home to watch him.

I keep all my garbages up off the floor and out of reach. It's not a battle I care to fight.

·
Registered
485 Posts
All of my garbage cans are behind cabinet doors that the dogs can't open. I have one that has the run of the house, but one that would likely be destructive if unsupervised, so he is crated any time I'm not watching him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts