German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barrett is a 1y/o male that I came to us via the pound. Assumed that prior owners kept him kenneled in too small of a kennel, outside most of the time. His hind quarters were so low that his tail drug about 3" on the ground. He was skin and bones with giardia scale off the charts. All four paws turn out and his right ball is not formed properly to fit in the socket. I placed him on Wilderness large breed puppy food and that seemed to help a lot.
My question - how do I continue to reverse the damage that the prior (I cant call them nice anything) did to his health and mostly hip issues, or keep it at bay
IMG_2655.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
The hip sockets are shallow and that is genetic so you can't fix that but they could be a lot worse than they are!. With so many various issues, if you can, I would see a canine rehab vet to put you on a plan of strengthening muscle (which holds the hip and place) and working on the other issues. Proper exercise program can help a lot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Nancy I will see what I can find in my area - we have horse property and his best friend, a 3y/o chocolate lab that he plays like crazy with.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts