German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, youn all were extremely helpful with my first post, so heres hoping again...so i have orderd a female gs puppy from a very reputable breeder here in canada, i did the due dilligance and talked to various vets etc around here and they all agree it is a good breeder, my only question is the breeder is a show breeder so will there be any effects or will the puppy lack anything that a woking breed has? when i get her she will be 6 weeks so a baby, but will she lack anything that of a working breeder?

thanks guys....:hug:

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Why are you getting your pup at 6 weeks? They learn so much from their littermates from 5-8 weeks, I would ask the breeder if you can leave them together til at least late into the 7th week. That is also the time many breeders will evaluate the pups to match the new owners.
As far as lines go show/working are different temperament wise and structurally. It depends on what you want to do with your dog as far as you feeling there may be a "lack".

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/behavior.html

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so what's the pedigree , that will tell . Don't get a dog at 6 weeks . That is not to the benefit of the dog. Are you sure this is a reputable breeder . I think the consensus on this forum would suggest nothing younger than 8 weeks. Some places don't legally allow a transfer any earlier. Think about it .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
also, what i want from the dog is for sure a loving loyal compnaion freind,family member, but also a natrually proctective of the family and home.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What breeder are you getting the puppy from? What purpose are you buying her for? It sounds like the breeder has a good reputation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"agile" thanks for the reply, the breeder is in aldergrove british comumbia and is woodside shepherds...im getting the dog for a companion freind family member , also as a protecter of the family and home too, i want to stress i dont want her being aggresive and wont train her that way at all, just natrually protective.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I think your pup will be everything you dreamed of, with socialization, confidence building and training as long as good genetics are there. And as your breeder has a good reputation, sounds like you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
you realize that you are buying some extreme Canadian/American show lines. Jim Moses is Kaleef kennels . A lot of the genetics coming down through Kaleef and Woodside has Zeus and Zeto Fran Jo . I was a show handler at the time so know the dogs well. They were inbred on Lance of Fran Jo , as influential in American lines as Canto Wienerau was for Germany. A lot of dogs were very elongated and weak in the hock , had a weavy knit and purl action.
As long as you know.

Sometimes some 'american" dogs are better pets than some of the german show lines.

Carmen

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"carmspack" i appreciate your help and knowledge..but im confused can u explain whats the matter with woodside shepherds? and should i have shyd away from them

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
you realize that you are buying some extreme Canadian/American show lines. Jim Moses is Kaleef kennels . A lot of the genetics coming down through Kaleef and Woodside has Zeus and Zeto Fran Jo . I was a show handler at the time so know the dogs well. They were inbred on Lance of Fran Jo , as influential in American lines as Canto Wienerau was for Germany. A lot of dogs were very elongated and weak in the hock , had a weavy knit and purl action.
As long as you know.
]
"carmspack" i appreciate your help and knowledge..but im confused can u explain whats the matter with woodside shepherds? and should i have shyd away from them
C'mon Carmen, that was Greek to the 2/3 of us that don't know anything about ASL's (like me). . . . give the new guy a break and speak English. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
As an owner of Multiple american bred german shepherds and a member of this forum, I feel the need to tell you the following: This forum is GREAT for getting knowlegable answers to your many "bringing up a puppy", heath and general information questions. You need to know that the majority of members here own what has been termed "working" german shepherds. There is this whole "BIG" thing about which is better , west german showlines, working lines or American Bred GSD's. That being said sometimes you need to take what people write with a grain of salt. If you have done your due diligence and checked out this breeder You should NOT be discouraged to by an AM bred GSD . I absolutely LOVE mine , they are great family pets , have moderate drive and are very healthy.

·
Registered
691 Posts
As an owner of Multiple american bred german shepherds and a member of this forum, I feel the need to tell you the following: This forum is GREAT for getting knowlegable answers to your many "bringing up a puppy", heath and general information questions. You need to know that the majority of members here own what has been termed "working" german shepherds. There is this whole "BIG" thing about which is better , west german showlines, working lines or American Bred GSD's. That being said sometimes you need to take what people write with a grain of salt. If you have done your due diligence and checked out this breeder You should NOT be discouraged to by an AM bred GSD . I absolutely LOVE mine , they are great family pets , have moderate drive and are very healthy.
I don't think Carmen is trying to discourage her from American bred GSD's. I think she is referring to these dogs' particular lineage which has shown that there could be future health problems. I'm a first time GSD owner and new to this as well, but from my research and understanding, I believe that this is what she was commenting on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think Carmen is trying to discourage her from American bred GSD's. I think she is referring to these dogs' particular lineage which has shown that there could be future health problems. I'm a first time GSD owner and new to this as well, but from my research and understanding, I believe that this is what she was commenting on.
I was not necessarily directing my post to Carmen, hence the reason I responded to the OP's post. From my little experience on this forum , while I really believe there are some very knowledgeable people here as well as people really care about this great breed, I was preparing the OP for what is possibly going to get posted to her.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Lance of Fran Jo is way back on most dogs pedigrees these days, I feel this whole ASL weak hock ect... is really old. I believe that 10-15 years ago all the weak hock weak back talk may have been legit, I show dogs and see it very rarely in 2011. The trend in ASL (my opinion) is getting away from the extreme.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
no my comments were made so that the OP knew what he was getting. He is new to gsd. I am not discouraging him from getting an American bred show line dog , nor discouraging him from getting a pup from this breeder , Woodside.
There is a difference in body type in the specialty shows and the all breed rings. The specialty show lines are really exaggerated through the rear - frog legs .
Temperaments tend to be soft which limits potential .
Here is the big problem . Breeding criterion does not include anything remotely to do with any form of work . No consideration to drives , tracking , temperament tests, courage . Just physical conformation .

I know the dogs. I produced BIS , BIB ROM, handled Selects , handled other peoples dogs . I have a stack of German Shepherd Reviews going back to the early 70's . The dogs sure have changed ! Yoncalla's Mike was a good type that lost to the Lance of Fran JO type Zeto of Fran-Jo and brother Zeus of Fran-Jo (inbred Lance) to Sabra Dennis of Gan Edan and even more extreme now. Doppelt-Tay's Zip

this is what I mean by the exaggerated long rear Doppelt-Tay's Masterkey
still so typical of the current "specialty" american show line shehperds.

The dogs I represented I knew back in the day.

have fun
Carmen

If the OP wants a pet -- go for it. If he has an agenda that includes schutzhund or training , trialing , he may be disappointed.

I went through the obedience ring -- had an Obedience Grand Victrix in 1981 . Went through all the steps to getting doing all the sanction matches to become a Judge. It is rare to see a GSD obedience trial (CKC/AKC) and when they are their performance is painful to watch , very tentative , I'd rather not be here. Very very rare to see an American show line in sport . The last good one I know of was Linda Shaw's Corry , who was in French ring along with me , and became the sire of her all time favourite dog "Tim" . Corry was the sire, Carmspack Katiana (Kilo sister) was the dam .

The OP has to know what it is that he wants to do with the dog.

That's all I intended .

Carmen

·
Registered
311 Posts
no my comments were made so that the OP knew what he was getting. He is new to gsd. I am not discouraging him from getting an American bred show line dog , nor discouraging him from getting a pup from this breeder , Woodside.
There is a difference in body type in the specialty shows and the all breed rings. The specialty show lines are really exaggerated through the rear - frog legs .
Temperaments tend to be soft which limits potential .
Here is the big problem . Breeding criterion does not include anything remotely to do with any form of work . No consideration to drives , tracking , temperament tests, courage . Just physical conformation .

I know the dogs. I produced BIS , BIB ROM, handled Selects , handled other peoples dogs . I have a stack of German Shepherd Reviews going back to the early 70's . The dogs sure have changed ! Yoncalla's Mike was a good type that lost to the Lance of Fran JO type Zeto of Fran-Jo and brother Zeus of Fran-Jo (inbred Lance) to Sabra Dennis of Gan Edan and even more extreme now. Doppelt-Tay's Zip

this is what I mean by the exaggerated long rear Doppelt-Tay's Masterkey
still so typical of the current "specialty" american show line shehperds.

The dogs I represented I knew back in the day.

have fun
Carmen

If the OP wants a pet -- go for it. If he has an agenda that includes schutzhund or training , trialing , he may be disappointed.

I went through the obedience ring -- had an Obedience Grand Victrix in 1981 . Went through all the steps to getting doing all the sanction matches to become a Judge. It is rare to see a GSD obedience trial (CKC/AKC) and when they are their performance is painful to watch , very tentative , I'd rather not be here. Very very rare to see an American show line in sport . The last good one I know of was Linda Shaw's Corry , who was in French ring along with me , and became the sire of her all time favourite dog "Tim" . Corry was the sire, Carmspack Katiana (Kilo sister) was the dam .

The OP has to know what it is that he wants to do with the dog.

That's all I intended .

Carmen
very good post . I am not an expert by all means, I do not know all of the dogs you referenced. I agree to a point about the difference of specialty and all breed dogs. I am seeing more specialty/all breed crossovers , which is a reallly good sign. I appologize if I sounded a little harsh , I agree that the OP needs to look for a dog specific to what they are planning to do with it.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
hey horsegirl don't apologize , not necessary.

The biggest problem with American show lines, not dogs domestically bred because that is another discussion . We keep importing and importing and importing yet don't support the second and third generations that come from those imports. We have the genetics, the brains to breed some excellent dogs -- and then they get passed over for an import .

Anyway , the American show lines never enter any arena where the dogs characters are evaluated. The big national shows where Grand Victors , Grand Victrixes are crowned , held by the national breed club , provided a Temperament Test which was voluntary. Very simple stuff. Approach by friendly stranger , nothing outside of normal life , going for a walk and encountering what may come. Well the first year had a decent turn out -- until eyes were opened and many failed . The following years few participate. One National show I went to there were dogs wide eyed freaking out - running out of the ring. One year I think only 3 or 4 dogs passed. The judge was an ex Toronto police officer who also participated in CKC trialing. He was very considerate "easy" , even so panicky dogs -- of the 3 or 4 that passed 2 were from my breeding , one was Linda Shaw's showxcarmspack-ddr/westworking lines "Tim" . Here are the rules German Shepherd Dog Club of America Temperament Testing

Carmen

·
Registered
16 Posts
Following up on Onyx and everyone else, please don't get that pup until 8 weeks! I'm really concerned about any breeder that lets a pup go at 6 weeks. 6-8 weeks is important dog to dog socialization time and NO reputable breeder would do that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts