German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What have I gotten myself into???? LOL

My name is Amanda and i brought home my first GSD last Thursday night. Her name is Jazz and she's 2 1/2 years old, not spayed but fully vacinated (so i was told), fairly well unsocialized with dogs or a whole a lot of people for the most part. The guy swears she's full Belgian Malinios but there is no way. I'm gonna get her DNA tsted just to clear up the question of her breed but it doesn't matter in the long run, she's not going to be bred so her exact breed is not an issue. My Boxer Ruger is an issue but we are slowly working on that. He's adamant that she's his bestie even though she ain't there yet. He's neutered already so not worried about any potential Boxer/GSD puppies (though they would be hella cute!!). Luckily my house is easily split in two so i can keep them apart for now.

She's slowly warming up to my husband. She lunged full body at him the second night she was here. Luckily he realizes that she was just scared and overwhelmed and she didn't make any contact so no harm no foul. So I turned him into The Deliverer of Food and Giver of Treats. She finally let him rub her belly and gave him kisses last night so we're getting there.

So getting her socialized with my Boxer is going to take some time. He's a little younger than her (he turns 2 on Dec 28th) and way more hyper than she is(atleast right now, we'll see how she is once she gets full comfortable here). So right now all they are allowed are short sniffs over the babygate or she can sniff him while he's in his kennel and its her turn in the livingroom. I'm hoping that over the coming weeks the newness will wear off, everyone will relax and we can try longer introductions and hopefully get them being friends. Gonna be a long road!!!

Slowly changing her food. Her previous owner had her on Dog Chow:(. Her coat feels weird. So i'm putting her on the Salmon and Potato food that my Boxer eats. He's doing really good on it and while its not the highest grade of kibble out there, its much better than what she's eating now. I'm hoping that changing her food will help clear up the yeasty problem she's got going on in her ears. She needs to go to the vet soon to get spayed so i'll have them check her ears also.

So that's my GSD journey so far. I wasn't really looking to add a GSD to my home (wanted another Boxer honestly) but I couldn't say no to her sweet face. And then to find out that she was loved but ultimately neglected (she's never been off a 30' cable tieout), she had to come home with me!! And luckily I am not alone on this journey. My lead at work (who was the one who was first contacted about this dog) is a life long GSD lover and owner. She's also got friends in a GSD rescue so I've got resources to fall back on!

If ya'll have any suggestions for me feel free to give them!

Manda in Auburn, WA

Picture of Jazz was taken by the owner, this is what was sent to my lead when she was first contacted about rehoming her. Its better than the few I've gotten of her yet.
The picture of Ruger was taken in Arizona at the Petrified Forest National Park. We road tripped earlier this year and its one of my favorite photos of him.

Dog Jaw Dog breed Carnivore Companion dog
Sky Dog Mountain Carnivore Collar

·
Registered
Fraserglens Ellie of Carmspack 16/12/2021
1,061 Posts
No advice from me, I wouldn’t be of any help.. but cute pup, she looks like my Ellie, sounds like you’re on the right path taking introductions slow.. if you’re prepared to put the necessary work in they can be phenomenal dogs.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
nice looking pair of puppies. If they aren't chewing each other right off the bat, they will come around. GS's take longer to accept people and living situations. You didn't say why Jazz was rehomed - was it problem behavior? You were smart to go with a male and a female, but you are going to want to get her spayed. Before you get her a license Auburn will probably make you get her a rabies shot , just to be sure. Your vet will advise you on shots, etc. And I would advise you to get the health profile with the Embark DNA test. Costs a little more, but I found it very comforting to know my old girl is just old and not developing Degenerative Myelopathy. It's a horrible genetic disease GS's are prone to. Boxers, too, I believe. I don't see any Mal in her but sometimes it doesn't show. It will probably take Jazz at least a couple months until she is 'your dog'. Don't rush her, just let her find her way. GS's take being rejected by an owner hard and then find it hard to adapt to a new owner. Otherwise it sounds like you are all on the right path.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice looking pair of puppies. If they aren't chewing each other right off the bat, they will come around. GS's take longer to accept people and living situations. You didn't say why Jazz was rehomed - was it problem behavior? You were smart to go with a male and a female, but you are going to want to get her spayed. Before you get her a license Auburn will probably make you get her a rabies shot , just to be sure. Your vet will advise you on shots, etc. And I would advise you to get the health profile with the Embark DNA test. Costs a little more, but I found it very comforting to know my old girl is just old and not developing Degenerative Myelopathy. It's a horrible genetic disease GS's are prone to. Boxers, too, I believe. I don't see any Mal in her but sometimes it doesn't show. It will probably take Jazz at least a couple months until she is 'your dog'. Don't rush her, just let her find her way. GS's take being rejected by an owner hard and then find it hard to adapt to a new owner. Otherwise it sounds like you are all on the right path.
She was rehomed because they didnt have time for her. She was either outside on a cable tieout or locked in the house. I do have her current rabies tag and will be contacting the vet to see if i can get her records. If not, we'll get her taken care of. I hike alot during the summer so I want to make sure she's truely UTD before we hit the trails!

The interaction between the dogs has been mostly positive. She has snapped at him a couple times but she was a little overstimulated when it happened (she had to go potty and i was trying to get my shoes on) and considering she's never dealt with another dog before, she's not doing that bad. That's why we are taking it slow with them. I want them to be besties eventually.

She's deffinately getting spayed soon, just waiting for the holiday to be over. She'll also be getting put on my Trupanion policy. Nobody that has seen her pic sees any Mal in her either but the guy was adamant that she was pure Mal. Pure or mixed, she needs love and a good home. I've got both!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I get that you want to make sure they are safe and take it slow. But also be careful with physical restrictions and gates, because that can also build frustration and tension. Always strive to manage the dogs' energy in the first place rather than entirely relying on physical barriers.
So that you don't end up with quick frustration build up in place of a slow acclimatation...
Teaching the muzzle could also be a good idea so you can peacefully let her interact off leash when you try think she's ready.
You will soon learn more about "what you have gotten yourself into", but if what you've been told is true (never interacted with other dogs her whole life), and she hasn't totally lost it on your Boxer, you're lucky.
She sounds like a quite chill girl for a dog that was tied all day and hasn't had exposure to the world.
Anyway, wish you all the best!

PS: a Mal mix wouldn't surprise me, that face could be a malinois, just switch to fawn.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Another Boxer fan here, he's a nice looking boy!
Jazz sounds like a good girl, lucky you to have found her. You could do a DNA test if it matters to you. If you do the health panel is worth it, just for the knowledge.
but I found it very comforting to know my old girl is just old and not developing Degenerative Myelopathy. It's a horrible genetic disease GS's are prone to. Boxers, too, I believe.
At one point the Boxer club had done more to aid research then the GSD club, but by some estimates almost 75% of Boxers carried the gene. Also worth noting that the gene causing it in Boxers may be different than the one in GSD's.
A study on Boxers in 2020(?) found 50% of the test group at risk.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track! When I brought home my BC, my English Bulldog overwhelmed her, she did not like him one bit! We started out by walking them on leash, sort of far apart, then gradually walked them together on leash, then once they were doing okay, we walked them together off leash. They were never best buds, but they got along well. At the time the BC was 2, a rehome, and the English Bulldog was about 8. For the life of me, I can't remember what we did when they were both in the house together when we first got her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So just a small update for those that care. Jazz and Ruger are well on the way to being friends. She is a little nippish but she's not being aggressive, she's just putting him in him place when he gets out of line. It very much looks like a momma dog correcting a overeager puppy. And since she's really the only one that can teach him her boundries i'm letting her do it as long as she doesn't take it too far. He's not a dominate dog so he's more than happy to let her be the boss. They spent about 3 hours tonight running around like gallumfing idjits. Now they are both passed out hard.

A tired dog is a good dog!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts