German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Name? But we basically started in with all of the house rules/expectations right away, understanding that of course it was going to take time for her to get it, because she was a baby.

I would say the first thing she actually learned was her name. She started responding to it within a day of coming home.

I kind of started in right away with her name, the crate training, housebreaking, and wait to eat until I release you. I think I had her dragging a lightweight leash around. I got her chasing a ball, too, and bounding after me in the backyard, because you have to have fun.

Once we started a puppy class, I think "sit" was the first skill they taught.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
My preference has always been to watch the puppy and put words (and hand signals, which I always teach together) to behaviors they already do naturally. It's always fun to see the excitement in the puppy's eye when they make that first or second connection! I think that's why sit is so common as a first command. It's very easy to lure a puppy to sit using a treat. Lay is also easy using this luring technique. If you're not sure how that works lookup Stonnie Dennis videos on YouTube. My puppy doesn't really like me putting my hand on her head while standing in front of her, she backs up when she sees me try...so backup was an early command for her.

Some additional ideas can be found in this thread:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/training-our-puppy-basic/716730-lets-create-puppy-training-sticky.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
First thing? That you are the absolutely best, most interesting and fun thing in the world. Seriously. Everything else is much easier once you've established that.

Oh and we need pictures!

Aly
That is getting to the root. Very good advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts