German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Christmas I got 3 big lights, a table, and some sheets to set up a makeshift studio. I temporarily remodeled our living room, snapped some photos, and this is the result. What'cha think? :)

I wish more than his nose was in focus in this one. >.<

Saved my two favorites for last. :D

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
They are all great, but I especially love the second to last. Nice work.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Really nice photos! Very professional looking!

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he looks like an aye-aye in the second one. Haha. It's kind of creepy but I still like it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Beautiful!!!!!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I love all of them :) The first one just needs a tiny bit of photoshop to clean up the overexposed particles on Ozzy's nose but the rest are perfect :)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Great job, keep practicing.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
wow great job!! I love the last two

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Pretty cool. :) What kind of lights did you get? It looks as though they're Tungsten based (Which is your everyday Incandescent light bulb, that will turn things an orangish/yellow hue, which you can see best on Ozzy. You can counter that by setting the White Balance on your camera. Turn the dial to the little light bulb symbol and it will compensate Red, Green, and Blue so that the colors will come out faithfully to the scene...

The other thing:
If you want harsh, dramatic lighting, then keep doing what you did in these photos (That's not an insult, it's a compliment). You can play with the position of the lights to get different effects, as I'm sure you know. If you want a soft look where the lines are not so defined, no dark shadows, etc., you need to diffuse the light. You can do that with a white bed sheet since you don't have a diffusion panel or anything of the sort. You obviously want to shine the light through the sheet, but you can achieve various results with positioning the light/sheet. If you move the sheet (Diffusion material) closer to the subject (Without ending up in the frame, of course) the larger the light source, with a softer look. Then you can always leave the diffusion material where it is and pull the light back for a different result. Just try different things, experiment, It's digital. ;)

As far as Ozzy's nose is concerned in the first photo, I won't know without seeing the metadata, but you were probably shooting pretty wide open and that's why so little is in focus. The reason I'm thinking that is because what's in focus is really in focus, then the rest is out. You focused on his nose, then from that point and beyond, he goes soft. It's not as though you moved while taking the picture. The larger your aperture (Or smaller the number), the more you shorten your depth of field and the less you can have in focus. I understand, however, it was dark, you weren't shooting with strobes, and you probably needed your aperture/shutter speed set this way. Though, you can mess with the ISO if you don't mind a little more noise.

Regardless, good job!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Love them! Great job :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts