German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

maybe some of you could share your experiences:

My female is 6.5 months old and in heat since Friday. Didn't expect it to happen that early but it seems to be possible... :)

A few days before that we measured her. She was 54cm high and weighs about 23 kgs.
My question is: Do they still grow (especially her height) after they had their 1st heat or is it unusual? I'd love her to stay that small but I'm just curious. It's my first female, my male was done height-wise when he was about 7 months old. So I'd really like to know how it was with your puppies.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
My females were all spayed before their first heat, so I can't answer on that question. All of mine female and male have continued growing until about a year, but I guess they can all be different. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
She's still a baby and will keep growing. That's one of the many reasons when irresponsible owners get their dog pregnant so young is hard of mom and pup cause TOO YOUNG and not fully grown.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your replies.
Someone told me a few days ago that it's uncommon for females to grow height-wise as soon as they "hit heat". She said she'd definitely still gain some muscle and stuff but that she's positive she's done with her height.

Well, I guess I just wait and see! :)

Edit:
Just to make it clear: I've no intention of breeding her or getting her pregnant, especially at that age!

Just wanted to know what your experiences are when it comes to 1st heat and growing!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It is just a pup now and what you are experiencing may be a pseudo heat and the proper heat will be at 8-9 months. Just watch out for the signs again soon.

And research the heat cycle properly so you can judge the exact times and have a record for future heats if necessary. Record all changes in a calender or diary.

The dog will definitely keep growing too. It will probably put on a further 8-10 kilos.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is just a pup now and what you are experiencing may be a pseudo heat and the proper heat will be at 8-9 months. Just watch out for the signs again soon.

And research the heat cycle properly so you can judge the exact times and have a record for future heats if necessary. Record all changes in a calender or diary.

The dog will definitely keep growing too. It will probably put on a further 8-10 kilos.
Thanks so much for your response! And yes, I marked the 1st day of her heat in my calender and will record further changes.
I really hope it's not a pseudo heat (never heard of it before) because I don't want all the blood and not-obeying in two months again... :D
We'll see... Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts